BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Henrique, i bought today a Bmw k1200rs of 1999, and this is the model with 72kw i think. How i can check?

If is not, What i must to do to have the 130hp/96 kw?

Thanks and i love my bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After read the manual i see that two models have exactly the same thing 38mm, electric ecu bosh 2.4, so must be the chip and some physical restrict.

Any information?

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
When I had a look at some ECU dumps, I found references to the lower power spec. in the oem code which puzzled me until I read about the lower power spec. The ECU may be generic 2.4 but there can be different code in the eprom chips. My thoughts at the time were they just put in a different code map in the ECU firmware chip. Mechanically there is not much more they can do with an efi engine, except possibly restrict air with a plate on the throttle bodies.

Yours is an early bike like mine and unless the ECU has been replaced recently, it will have a firmware chip that is obsolete, difficult to get as a blank and not all programmers will handle it. There are version numbers on the firmware chip and the circuit boards have also changed. At some point (I'd like to know when), they used a different circuit board which takes readily available and easily re-programmable eproms. The BMW part numbers don't seem to tell you exactly what is inside the ECU box.The latest parts item seems to have one number so I guess if you are rich that would work for you.

I'm not suggesting you do something illegal, but if you intend using the bike where the full power is allowed, talk to Rhinewest about a performance chip upgrade, but tell them you may have the older ECU as I think they have to supply the upgrade as a piggy back board with some extra circuitry to emulate the older memory chip. Don't bother with the Power Commander alternative as I don't think that will help you. If you can get the right ECU (a challenge!) off a scrap bike, that would also work.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So with a 98kw chip she stay fine?

If any person in this forum have that chip i pay .

My bike has a front one hole plugged, your have two holes open?

All that has only one hole is open are reduced power?

Please share your opinion.

Best regards.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Henrique,
Regarding the 'holes': All K1200RS have them the same. Rider's right is the air intake, rider's left is a flat 'plug'. Pirate's Lair used to sell a tube that you could install after cutting the flat piece out, but it is no longer available. The tube was then routed down to your left radiator to add to the cooling air flow.

While it is great you have the 130bhp version, your bike appears to have the stock pipe....given that, I recommend you consider the Rhinewest Cam Gear/Chip kit. I have it installed on my 2000 model and love it. More power and more torque in the usable powerband. It is only available for bikes with the stock exhaust, definitely more 'bang for your buck', or Euro as the case may be. I feel it is a better investment than an aftermarket exhaust pipe, by a large margin. If you cannot do the cam gear work yourself or do not want to pay for it, they also have just a chip upgrade which is still better than stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts