BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the dealer adjust the rev limiter? Here is my problem; my wife rides my GT and loves the bike which is OK by me since it was a little small for my 6'5" frame and I just bought an LT but I would like to detune the engine a bite until she get a few more miles under her. My thinking is to have the rev limiter set to 7500 rpm.

I am open to all suggestions as to how to limit the horse power without destroying the bike.

Your suggestions please.

Feedback

·
Registered
377 Posts
Problem

I don't believe an RPM limiter reset would cure the problem as you define it. The same torque would still be available to cause trouble if she used the throttle carelessly, lower red line or not.

I have always heeded the owner's manual warning never to use more than partial throttle in 1st and 2nd gear for, as they say "There is danger of wheelspin and loss of control of the vehicle." I crashed hard doing just a short burnout about 10 years ago, so haven't needed to be told twice since.

Your wife needs to understand that she MUST be smooth and gentle applying throttle when pulling away from a red light or stop sign while immediately turning either way. Wheelspin can wreck you instantly... I mean you can be on the pavement in a flash.

I don't rocket past slow traffic even if I'm in 3rd gear and supposedly safe from spin. I'm not knocking her riding ability at all. Women are smart. I suspect she pays more attention to your cautionary speeches than you think.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have another solution that may or may not have come up or heck, even work.

Tell her to keep her hand/wrist very flat or low on the right grip. This will severly limit the amount of throttle she can input unless she drops her entire right forearm and shoulder into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts