BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode in to work tonight, goint to be around 32 on the way home, as in freezing. Ya gotta love the Gt fairing and heated seat and grips, Shooting for under 17 this year. Any cold weather riders out there. Seems the only problem is fogging and frosting the visor, any cures? I have the fog city but it only helps to a degree than the visor starts to frost up. No bugs on windshield though

Reactions: romoshka

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yea, I love the cold commute. Rode in yesterday - 29 degrees and icy. The office folk think I'm nuts.

Merry Christmas

God Bless Tookie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just rode home from work, temp -1 Celsius about the same as your neck of the woods. Yes I enjoy the comforts of the GT. I've been ribbed a little about the grips and seat but none of the hecklers are out in this weather. The only solution to condensation is a pin-lock visor,now if I could only find a solution for my glasses.

Merry Christmas,
Oldtimer

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
foggy mask

I will look into the Respro foggy mask, thanks Don

·
Registered
130 Posts
Find a local scuba dive shop and get a bottle of anti-fog. It's a cream that is applied to the inside of scuba masks to prevent fogging - an environment far more susceptible to fogging than our faceshields. I find one application at the beginning of the cool season is all that's required. And, it's cheap.

To apply, wet the inside of the visor (helps to take it off) and lightly smear on the anti-fog. Lightly rinse the remaining material and let it dry on its own (do not wipe it dry). Works like a champ and doesn't add another layer of plastic that might affect visibility.

·
Registered
212 Posts
riding

had to ride friday it was 67 , not bad here in so cal.by the way we are on our way how is only 46 . have a good day .
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
ride safe

·
There's a pill for everything
829 Posts
Brain Dead Riders

Why would you put yourself in harms way and ride on two wheels below freezing??

Just Put The Motor City Madman as your beneficiary.

You really need to think about it in real terms, your going to get killed doing this. And when ya do I will post

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are fools!!!!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Exactamundo, MOTOR. I don't care how dry it's been. Below freezing is BELOW FREEZING. What happens when you're tooling down the road having a great time and you come around that corner just to find Ma Kettle's sprinkler system burst during the night. It's tough to avoid that 10 foot sheet of ice that covers the entire width of the road.

·
Registered
310 Posts
MOTOR said:
Why would you put yourself in harms way and ride on two wheels below freezing?? You really need to think about it in real terms, your going to get killed doing this. You guys are fools!!!!!!!
Golly, gee whiz Wally. Thank you for your informative and insightful commentary. I never realized that motorcycling was so dangerous and now you tell me its even more so in cold weather...who knew!?!

Being so informed, please send your pertinent personal data so that I can immediately forward it to my life insurance carrier.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just call me crazy

I try and ride all year, only taking my truck if its raining when I leave or snowing. Just call me crazy but I enjoy the colder weather. My ride home is around 10pm so its dark and the cold air makes it clear and quiet. My only problem is not exceeding the posted limits by more than is acceptable by unseen gendarme. I don't have a problem with fogging anymore with the fog city shield, but now the edges start to frost up eventually frosting the entire visor over befor I arrive at home or work in sub freezing weather. Opening it to clear works but that is kind of a pain in the real cold wind. Yeah you can come upon a patch of ice, summer you can come upon a patch of oil or sand etc. Its all a gamble I would guess your chance of being hit by an airplane in Detroit is greater than my chance of finding unexpected ice in Tennessee. As they say ride your ride if its to cold on the road stay in the kitchen.

·
829 Posts
Below Freezing

Riding below freezing is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is my point not if it is cold

·
Registered
969 Posts
The corollary to "It's not the heat; it's the humidity" is "It's not the cold; it's the ice".
Yes, you may hit an oil spot in the summer, but usually the oil spot doesn't cover both lanes and go for a few blocks or miles as ice or black ice can.
Ride as you like, but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
133 Posts
An easy fix for the fog (although not elegant ) was given to me by an old wizard. Get yourself a cheap snorkel (suba shope or even a kids model from walmart just avoid pink!)

Cut just long enough so you can route it from under your helmet. It will take care of fog in your visor and glasses. Personally I would live the bike in the garage at those temperatures.

Eric

·
Registered
310 Posts
MOTOR said:
Riding below freezing is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!! That is my point not if it is cold
Thank you for the clarification of that point. It was a bit foggy (frosty around the edges) to me.
And you sound a little aggitated - you been drinking too much coffee?

Now I find it interesting (do you not?) to see how people use their individual yardsticks, as an absolute and inflexable tool, to measure the society around them. Obviously you find the risk in riding a motorcycle to be acceptable as do the rest of us. But you label those of us who ride in freezing weather (a step or two beyond your comfort level) as insane. I would respectfully submit that the majority of the American population (cage pilots) find us (motorcyclists) to be insane. So what of those that go faster than you? Pass on the dubba-yella? Pass in a curve? Wheelies? High speed wheelies? Stoppies? Where is the insane mark on your yardstick?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Too cold?

Everyone has their own limits. I say as long as you are not endangering anyone else, go do it!

My limit is normally around 45 degrees. However, this winter we have had a long cold spell and haven't been above 40 degrees for weeks. So, yesterday when we hit the heat of our day, around 35 degrees, I was off for a little spin. The heated grips and seat really help, as does the Gerbling vest. I did wish I had put on the heated gloves as the heated grips only work on the side touching your hand. But the sun was out, I had the time, and the K needed her expercise. I hate letting her sit too long.

The spouse says we have to get her back out next weekend for our annual Christmas holiday ride. My SO loves our Vstrom for those back country farm roads but she really likes getting the GT out and turning her loose. She says she enjoys the "rush".

So, hot, warm, or even somewhat cold, the K gets her time out on the road. I agree that ice is a danger but I will allow each to decide what their comfort level is. Its not my place to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't do.

Enjoy the ride.

·
829 Posts
Nope

Not agitated....not the least but don't rationalize an insane position by riding below the freezing level. Your just freakin plain nuts, stupid and have no value for your own life. Or for your family.............

It is dangerous enough during the regular riding season when we all taken more chances than others, but this thread was not about that it was about riding below freezing
Go out and kill yourself and see if I care better yet why don't you go about 100 through a nice tight curve in below freezing weather.......

Darwin's theory comes in real handy here.......

·
Registered
310 Posts
MOTOR said:
Not agitated.... Your just freakin plain nuts, stupid and have no value for your own life.
Not agitated? But you have resorted to name calling. Hmm?

Well I thought there must be a few of more of us insane folk so I did a bit of searching and low & behold there is! INSANITY LOVES COMPANY!!!

http://www.yearroundriders.com/index.htm

Now about that "have no value for your own life. Or for your family....." , well I have no family - you see none of my mothers children lived.

Have a nice day - I'm going for a ride.

·
829 Posts
YA but

It is 53 degrees where you live now that would really be nice this time of the year

·
Registered
186 Posts
SnowFlake Ride

The local BMW club that I belong to had their annual Snowflake Ride Dec. 3rd. It was 18°F. I used to think that 32°F was my limit, but I was completely cormfortable Gerbings Jacket Liner, Gloves, and Socks. It's been snowing ever since and the streets are too wet and icy now, but as soon as the streets are dry again, I'll be out riding.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts