BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful day here in Green Bay. Sunny, bright and clear. Dry roads. Just picked up new ProRace pants and gloves and tried them out. Needed liner in gloves to stay warm, but did ok. Much nicer having the gauntlet type gloves rest over the sleeve of the jacket and remove all the wind that used to come up the sleeve. Leather pants over skin really kept me so much warmer than jeans over long johns. Does anyone wear their leather pants over say, jeans? I think I could get them over the jeans... On the highway, I was good for 10-15 minutes max before I got chilly and had to bring her in to warm up.
Anyone else out riding their bike here in Wisconsin? I saw no one else. For such a big motorcycle (Harley) state, I am really surprised no one else rides on such beautiful days. Snow flurries in the AM tomorrow and with wet or icy conditions, the bike stays in the garage...
Can't wait for nicer conditions in the spring to take her up to Door County for the weekend and tool around the nice roads up there.
The power on this bike still continues to amaze me and plaster a silly smile on my face.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've done a bunch of rides in freezing weather.

Biggest help is I have all BMW riding gear which is great. Underneath I usually have a few layers one of which includes a heated vest. With that I've done rides close to 300 miles most of which was in the 30s. Here in California I usually head for the Tahoe area unless it's snowed within the past two days (road conditions make the bike too dirty).

Don't let the cold keep you in ;^)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NakedRider said:
I've done a bunch of rides in freezing weather.

Biggest help is I have all BMW riding gear which is great. Underneath I usually have a few layers one of which includes a heated vest. With that I've done rides close to 300 miles most of which was in the 30s. Here in California I usually head for the Tahoe area unless it's snowed within the past two days (road conditions make the bike too dirty).

Don't let the cold keep you in ;^)

Glad to see someone else riding in the cold...
Will have to layer up and get winter gloves for longer rides like you have done. Just love this bike :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
40 degrees is my limit. I worry about black ice. :(

Glad you got to get out, today. :)

But then you DO NOT have any football to watch in Green Bay, right now! :hand

DA BEARS!!! :moon

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wish I could have taken ride today... confused: confused:

I visited my bike at dealership to talk with BMW technician (Dealer) about it's current condition:
-took in for clutch issue
-dicovered oil leak

BMW technician (Dealer) tore down and resealed motor (front and valve cover leaks) found issue with and replaced clutch. Found issue with and replaced drive shaft. Having pulled tranny twice in process of fixing it up and putting back together now it won't start. This technician says he's done hundreds of engines and can't sort out issue.

Bike cranks but no go on startup. BMW technician (Dealer) says about the only thing that is not replaced is the starter motor. According to BMW technician (Dealer) they are waiting on BMW to send some engineer in to figure out what the hell is going on.

:wtf

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
cruizbz said:
40 degrees is my limit. I worry about black ice. :(

Glad you got to get out, today. :)

But then you DO NOT have any football to watch in Green Bay, right now! :hand

DA BEARS!!! :moon
Hey, no bears here they are all hibernating...
Low blow there about the Packers, but too true, nonetheless

Yep, that airflow blocking clothing would do the trick nicely. Santa in 2007 may have to check those out.

Cruizbz I worry about ice as well, but the conditions here were perfect. Dry roads, sunny and bright!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry, about the packers dig! ;)

But, when you have to wait 20 years between opportunities. You have to take them when you can get 'em. :beer:

I got out twice this past week. And there looks to be a few more chances this coming week. It does feel good to beat Mother Nature, in the middle of winter. :ricky

Ride safe

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
03k12RS said:
I visited my bike at dealership to talk with BMW technician (Dealer) about it's current condition:
-took in for clutch issue
-dicovered oil leak

BMW technician (Dealer) tore down and resealed motor (front and valve cover leaks) found issue with and replaced clutch. Found issue with and replaced drive shaft. Having pulled tranny twice in process of fixing it up and putting back together now it won't start. This technician says he's done hundreds of engines and can't sort out issue.

Bike cranks but no go on startup. BMW technician (Dealer) says about the only thing that is not replaced is the starter motor. According to BMW technician (Dealer) they are waiting on BMW to send some engineer in to figure out what the hell is going on.

:wtf
What a heap of @#!^. Hope it is under warranty. How good are your "technicians?

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
got out yesterday and today 27 degrees

I am riding in 27 degree weather with a Hein Gerricke hi-dry jacket and aerostich bibs. Got a scarf wrapped around the neck and T-shirt underneath the jacket. Warm enough for the 26 mile commute to work and a little 100 mile ride Today. Hands still get a little cold grip heaters on low, high is hot. Havent needed seat heat except for a 400 plus mile trip in sub freezing weather. Black ice is a myth perpetuated by those who never drive in the winter and think cold tires and cold roadways offer the same grip as warm. 30 years in Michigan upper and lower peninsula, 5 years in Delaware, 15 years in Tennessee, traveled the US most all the states never seen it! Keeps the roadways safer if the riffraff stays home. just my humble and informed opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dkeven said:
I am riding in 27 degree weather with a Hein Gerricke hi-dry jacket and aerostich bibs. Got a scarf wrapped around the neck and T-shirt underneath the jacket. Warm enough for the 26 mile commute to work and a little 100 mile ride Today. Hands still get a little cold grip heaters on low, high is hot. Havent needed seat heat except for a 400 plus mile trip in sub freezing weather. Black ice is a myth perpetuated by those who never drive in the winter and think cold tires and cold roadways offer the same grip as warm. 30 years in Michigan upper and lower peninsula, 5 years in Delaware, 15 years in Tennessee, traveled the US most all the states never seen it! Keeps the roadways safer if the riffraff stays home. just my humble and informed opinion.
27 degrees is pretty chilly! Don't know what people mean by black ice, but occ there are little patches of ice on the roads where snow/ice has melted and refrozen that are nearly invisible. But these can be seen virtually all over especially on my driveway and so I know it is not safe to ride. Finally, with all the salt on the road, when we do get a sustained melt, even our local roads are really, really dry.

Got to be careful in the morning because of frost on the roads, but when that burns off, I'm set. There is always the chance that it could still be there... ANyway, conditions have been ideal, I'm driving cautiously with colder tires and still getting a few rides.

·
Registered
373 Posts
dkeven said:

Let me see, I have been driving since 1966 in the Chicago area. Black Ice is not a myth. It is when a thin layer of moisture heated from the sun coming out and weeping from the asphalt and refreezing. Hard to see. We also, get Lake effect snow. No clouds in the sky. But the wind comes down Lake Michigan, which is warmer than the air and picks up moisture. When, it hits the colder land area the moisture turns to snow. But, what do I know. Those 10 inches of snow I shoveled in December was probably just in my deluded mind. ;)

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
Black Ice

No offense meant I was born in Houghton, Michigan 500 miles North of Chicago, and lived in Michigan winters for most of my life, short stints in Delaware USAF and now in Tennessee. Driven in Chicago plenty in my short lifetime of 51 years plenty. Heard it called black ice by many usually after an accident. Myself never seen it. When its cold 37 or so the possibility of ice is there if the conditions are right. Just never not noticed it. You want some fun come to Tennessee when it snows, I drove in to work twice in my 2wd pickup only to find out they had cancelled it due to unsafe conditions. Had school called off because it was predicted to snow before the busses could get in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rode again today. Conditions were much better than predicted. Long Johns under leather pants this time in mid 30s. Dry roads again, not very busy Sunday streets and highways. This bike just grows on me with every ride. Longing for spring so I can ride up into beautiful Door County or farther up north the other side of the Green Bay. Hands felt warmer today with liners although it was quite windy. Ah, if only I lived in the South again...

·
Registered
217 Posts
dkeven said:
Black ice is a myth perpetuated by those who never drive in the winter and think cold tires and cold roadways offer the same grip as warm....never seen it!
Maybe you are joking (and that's good), but-

I don't see black ice nearly as often here as I did in Dallas, but it is known for putting snow-experienced Yankees' butts in a pucker and wadding up their bumpers. Somehow, when temps are just a little freezing or were the night before and the humidity is right, asphalt will acquire a glistening layer of thin ice that you can't tell is ice unless you actually touch it. And to make it worse, water is condensing on it actively making it substantially slicker than simple frozen ice.

On roads with no clearly perceptible camber, a nonmoving car will slowly drift sideways to the side of the road and bump a car in the next lane or strike the curb. I swear it's like the plastic hockey pucks on the old air-hockey tables. It is THE slickest road condition, and you would not be able to hold a bike upright on it 10 seconds.

It's pretty scary to see someone slip when walking, because their feet shoot out, then when they fall on outsretched hands, their hand(s) shoot out as well and they take it on the noggin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, if that is black ice then we get it here...
Today I saw another rider, but he was 150 meters ahead of me and got through a light that caught me. Would have loved to see what he was riding and wearing. Don't feel so lonely anymore :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
In good weather I'll see a dozen bikes on my way to work. In bad weather, there is only me vs cars. Last year, only ice and hail kept me off of my Vmax. I did have a hail and lightning experience that scared me into a massage parlor once. Nice Korean lady took my clothes and threw them in the dryer.

Well, a Jeep once got me off of my bike, in a very unkind way, but that's not weather...I digress.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Got it here

We've got black ice in California. It can be bad in the mountains. Here's what happens:

During the day it might warm enough to cause some run off over the road by melting snow. During the night it gets cold enough to freeze the run off again. Early before the sun rises and, again, melts the run off it can get pretty hairy. It's ice. Plain and simple. Usually hard as a rock and you can't see it until it's too late.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What I know as Black Ice....Never experienced it on two wheels....and never want to. Careful, especially going over bridges. The airflow underneath lowers the road temp and while the rest of the road is fine, the bridge is slicker than weasels....whatever. I've hit it while driving in Illinois before. Completely invisible to me, but was apparent by the fact that I could rack my steering full left and right trying to stop my slide and it was as if my wheels were floating on air. Not fun (ended up in a snowbank and no real crunchies). Good luck and be safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts