BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a nice ride down to Morenci and back. The higher parts closer to Alpine and Hannigans Meadow are free of ice patches. There was some light snow as we went down on Friday, but the Saturday return trip was wonderful. The portion of the road between the Hagar Trailhead and Morenci have a few problems. They must have had a bit of rain a while back, as it seems the high sides of many of the corners were washed out. Expect dried mud and debris (gravel and sand) at the apex of many of these corners. Some cinders are present but not too bad. A great ride can still be expected, but do watch out. I think after a few rains (if they ever get some) it will be in fine condition for the spring. I just love that road!

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
We'll be riding that road this summer on our way to Top 'o the Rockies. Any suggestions on things we shouldn't miss?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for the update. We're running it May 19 and spending the night in Eager.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue Vista is a overlook near Hannigans Meadow....a great photo op!

I think the entire road is great and the scenery can at times distract one from the next curve.

The copper mine in Morenci is cool.....they have tours also thru the morenci motel. Breakfast there is inexpensive and very good.

In the Summer the road is usually in great shape.

Ah yes, Paonia......so little time, so many rallies.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,

Will give you another update in early April.....we are going again....:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thickasabrick said:
Bill,Will give you another update in early April.....we are going again....:)
Leroy,
Did you have a chance to run it again? How were conditions?
On a related note, the AZ Beemers Rendezvous is May 19-21 in Springerville. As part of that, on May 20 we're riding from Springerville to the VLA via Rt. 60 thru Pie Town and Datil and returning to S'ville via 12 and 180. How are those roads (in general).
Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Conditions

Bill,

191 was in better shape in early April when we rode that area, but man, that road into Chandler sucked....they were doing some roadwork and three lanes went into one. I would not have gone there, but my rear tire was down to cords. The Road thru Pietown is ok, but way too straight....:)

I'm in IL now. Went via Sturgis, MS to the Vintage BMW rally. It was great!!!!! Natches Trace from Ackerman to Nashville is a slower pace and very gentle rolling countryside, but very restful.....honeysuckle in the air.....know what I mean?

Hope to see you in Spingerville....take care

Leroy

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you get close to Safford go south a few miles and go to the top of Mount Graham. Lots of really tight twistys. The road from Showlow to Globe via the Salt River Canyon is right spiffy too!

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Hey Leroy,

Is there anyplace to stay in Clifton or Morenci? We are heading that way in July as part of a trip to the Top 'o the Rockies Rally in Paonia. I've got Silver City, NM as our stop, but I think we could get as far as Clifton or Morenci. Do you know of any decent motels in the area?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
796 Posts
eljeffe said:
Hey Leroy,

Is there anyplace to stay in Clifton or Morenci? We are heading that way in July as part of a trip to the Top 'o the Rockies Rally in Paonia. I've got Silver City, NM as our stop, but I think we could get as far as Clifton or Morenci. Do you know of any decent motels in the area?

Thanks in advance.
Safford can be a problem with motels I found. Seems they are building a Super Walmart and a lot of workers are staying in motels. Also the mine is getting ready to reopen and a lot of mine workers are in motels.Wouldnt hurt to call ahead, I played hell getting a room a couple months ago.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morenci Motel

The wife and I like the Morenci Motel.....restaurant on the property and mine tours originate from there too. The motel also has displays from the mine.....very interesting. I think the rooms are about sixty for the night, and it is an older building, but overall....a good place. Clifton has a motel, but not as good. A BMW rider is developing a property in Clifton as a motel or a B & B.....When it is finished will give it a review. I can't remember his name, but others in the area probably know him and his wife.....very nice folks.

Hope this helps

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt...6Vw1UXPBMXre1liYfsF4gNhAIxZ&lcscb=YgiXWJDmxt0

·
Registered
145 Posts
AZ 191 Conditions

Howdy Gang,

I returned home last night (4-30) from a 3500+ mile '04 Turbo Miata (top down all the way) trip to/from Las Vegas, NV (and NM, for that matter). I wanted to post a heads up on the site for one of the greatest roads we encountered along the way - AZ 191 (see also NM 434!).

Imagine my surprise when I saw this post! We did AZ 191 Saturday, 4-29, and it was in excellent condition. The worst case were a few rocks (maybe a dozen?) - most the size of a fat cell phone, a few (2 or 3) the size of a desk phone. We were rockin' along pretty good and none were a threat. There was no gravel or sand in the curves. Oddly enough, we saw no bikes and only a handful of cars from Eager to Morenci.

Although conditions are easily changed by wind, plant growth, animals, traffic, etc., I think you'll find AZ 191 to be safe and spectacular.

JS

·
Registered
284 Posts
jschilberg said:
Oddly enough, we saw no bikes and only a handful of cars from Eager to Morenci.
That's the great thing about 191. There's literally one vehicle every 20 minutes. Since it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere and takes 3-4 hours to go 100 miles, the only reason people head for it is the pure riding/driving pleasure.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
An Alpine local ( Alpine is a small town on 191) told me that in the summer they drag 2-3 bikes up from the canyons each week. He said it was a common road for people to crash on. Help can be several hours away, and the nearest hospital can be over an hour drive. Great road,great scenery, just dont over do it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes it is not a good ride for novices. Use great care the first few times, or :hanged :hanged :hanged

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a fact Jimmm, this past weekend the wife and I rode it and found a Harley guy on the side of the road. He lost control in a corner and blew his front tire off the side of the road. He was ok, just waiting for a truck to come for him. He had water and so on......, but it got me thinking of how many bikes wreck there.

Conditions were good this weekend....The work seems to still be in progress at that dam the copper mine is putting up close to Morenci.....but should be completed within a few months.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Leroy,
We went up 191 Friday. We saw only about a dozen cars in 100 miles. Passed two going north, the other 10 were all headed south. Two or three of them were forest service trucks. Had to slow way down and hit the horn for two deer that were just standing in the middle of the road.

Spent Friday and Saturday nights in Eager at the Best Western. Saturday we went to the Very Large Array and came home through Reserve. Kept an eye out for you and Deb but didn't see you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill,

Probably just missed you, as we turned off 60 in NM at Datil to go South. Thanks for spooking the deer, since we didn't see any. It was a great weekend! We are leaving for Seattle next Thursday. After we get back will have to head out that way again.

Ride safe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts