BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on the BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance Plan and didn't find much archived. (Maybe I'm asking incorrectly?)
But, considering my '03 K1200RS is just about 3 years old, I'm now faced with the option of purchasing roadside assistance for $35 per year or not. I'm wondering if there are any experiences associated with this service to help determine it's value. Of course, $35 isn't much for some reliable help out on the road, but I just wonder how many of us actually pay for it or have used it? The K12 has never skipped a beat, so I haven't needed it so far. Therefore, it stands to reason that as soon as I don't have it,,,,,,,, I'll wish I did! Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I used the plan that came with my 2000 after I through it down the highway outside of Kansas City. Towing bill would have been around $200.00. Was glad I had it. I now have a plan with AARP that covers anything I am on or in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I usually make 3 to 4 1000 mile trips a year and 1 long trip and believe that its part of the experience to risk a breakdown. Keep your bike in good shape, pay close att. to your tires I also belong to bmw owners news witch helps. Lots of luck. Cody

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
a dime a day keeps my bike off the side of the road.......need i say more...you ll feel better if you bye it...trust me

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
If you're a member of the American Motorcyclist Association, you can get
roadside assistance that is equal to that of BMW's for $25 a yr.

Also, check your local AAA and also Allstate.

tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
does it work?

I think the value, or lack of value, in this service in not in the price but in the quality of the service itself. I have not heard many good stories of people using this service. What are people's experiences?

·
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check to see what service there is in your area if you break down and when it is available. I live in NYC (no service), ride on Sunday even when I go upstate, no one can help you in alot of the areas I ride in.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a really dumb question. When I bought my '04KRS in July of '05 I was given a BMW road side assistance card from Cross Country(I believe). How long is the coverage good for? 1yr, 3yr.? And what is the yearly cost when it's renewal comes up?
Thanks
Bruce C

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
roadside

As a police supervisor I had to attend every police motorcycle accident, whether I was doing the inquiry or not. Reason. Most damage caused to the bike was from a tow truck operator who did not know how to secure a bike. I have seen roadside assistance used here once by a bmw rider on a club ride. The problem was he got a flat that put a huge hole in the tyre.

The only other breakdowns I have known about (K motor) is the drive spline gave up the ghost through lack of lubrication. Club members now re grease the spline every 40000 k on THE OLDER K BIKES. (We have a very comprehensive service day every 3 months in a members factory)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Roadside assistance

$35 is worth it to have the knowledge that if something happens, you can call somewhere and be taken care of. You may need a tow truck even if it's not the bike's fault.

Last New Year's Eve, someone backed into my bike in a parking lot and tipped it over. I called Cross Country and the tow truck arrived before the police.

I also had a starter problem years ago and I received an immediate response.

Basically, it's a small price to pay for the security blanket you carry while out on the road.

·
5,163 Posts
brucecha said:
I have a really dumb question. When I bought my '04KRS in July of '05 I was given a BMW road side assistance card from Cross Country(I believe). How long is the coverage good for? 1yr, 3yr.? And what is the yearly cost when it's renewal comes up?
Thanks
Bruce C
Mine is three years, pretty much to cover the warranty time, I believe. Don't recall getting a renewal notice yet, as mine is up in March. (Wow, three years already...)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Razel said:
Mine is three years, pretty much to cover the warranty time, I believe. Don't recall getting a renewal notice yet, as mine is up in March. (Wow, three years already...)
Ray
Thank you for the information. I would think this is the standard coverage that comes with a new bike. I have a ways to go until I think about renewing or changing carriers.
Bruce C

·
Registered
405 Posts
88x said:
I did a search on the BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance Plan and didn't find much archived. (Maybe I'm asking incorrectly?)
But, considering my '03 K1200RS is just about 3 years old, I'm now faced with the option...

I used the BMW once locally for a flat that couldn't be repaired roadside. Unfortunately it was new years eve and had to wait two hours plus. Towed me near by to the dealer. Took some wrangling on the phone (I got the impression while they shopped it and it was a busy night) before they sent a truck. Driver did a good job with the bike, no damage.
If I had been many miles away from home and not close to a BMW shop I got the impression I may have had some trouble. I recollect they made it sound like it had to go to the dealer.
There was an on-going story posted on the old sit by a member, I think his name was TallJody, who had a nightmare of time with a new LT that broke down on a long trip right after he bought. BMW gave him major grief about the repairs, towing charges etc.. Might look it up in the archives. It was not a pleasant story about BMW customer service on a week old motorcycle.
I now have the remainder of my warranty roadside assistance into July. And I also am now covered by my insurance company, Formost. It wasn't something I opted for, came with the original quote (they say the service is good and nationwide, we'll see) and beat my previous carrier with lower dedutables too for the same money.
Hope this throws some light on the subject for you. I'd rather not leave home without it myself. AAA would probably be a good option to check out.
Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Towing Methods

Anyone like to expound on what the various towing methods/options are with a mtotorcycle? I can understand a tow truck operator requiring coaching - the problem is that I need coaching too! Flat-bed vs. std. tow truck (with no bed but a big hook) - what should you tell the tow truck guy? Any special equipment (e.g., slings) they should bring with them? Can you refuse the tow if they won't/can't do it right?

As you can tell, I've never had to interactive with a tow truck (and I hope to keep it that way...).

Thanks!

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
brucecha said:
Thanks
Bruce C
The expiration date should be right on your card...mine is.

·
Registered
828 Posts
BMW roadside is ok

Rapid_Reg said:
Anyone like to expound on what the various towing methods/options are with a mtotorcycle? I can understand a tow truck operator requiring coaching - the problem is that I need coaching too! Flat-bed vs. std. tow truck (with no bed but a big hook) - what should you tell the tow truck guy? Any special equipment (e.g., slings) they should bring with them? Can you refuse the tow if they won't/can't do it right?

As you can tell, I've never had to interactive with a tow truck (and I hope to keep it that way...).

Thanks!
Flat bed only. I was at the 49er rally last year when my clutch took an extend holiday! BMW roadside wanted to tow the bike to the nearest dealer, which was Sacramento. Since I had to go south, i got my brother to come pick my sorry ass and drive me back to the LA area. Gotta say love your family!

BMW roadside will tow you to the nearest dealer. I had BMW roadside pick my bike up form my brother's house and tow it to the dealer. A flatbed was sent, but the driver needed advice how to tie down the bike, plus his tie downs were covered in grease!:( Oh well, the bike needed to be washed anyway.

I didn't have any problems with BMW roadside service, they work pretty well.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Razel said:
Two service calls, one when I low-sided a month after I got the GT. BMW Service Covered everything, tow truck took ½ hour, but this is up in the coastal hills...not bad on timing.

Second was with AAA, again ½ hour when the fuel pump died on the commute to work. No muss, no fuss there either.

Both needed some "coaching" on how to secure the bike, though...
Ray,

Just curious if you have some "additional" AAA coverage for MC towing. I'm a AAA Plus member (good for 100 miles of towing on an automobile) but have the understanding that AAA will NOT tow motorcycles. Did you purchase some type of additional coverage similar to what they sell for RV owners?

Thanks.
Matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Roadside Assistance

i have aaa with both rv/motorcycle road side assistance used only one time for an other biker the sent a flatebed bike was off to the local hd dealer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.