BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I’ve been riding for a while (not nearly as long as some of you) and I am planning a rather long trip in September.

I live in San Francisco and am planning on riding down to LA, spending a day or two there and then heading out to ride Route 66 from LA to Chicago. At the end, my wife will fly out to meet me and we will spend some time in Chicago. The bike will be shipped back to SF and we’ll fly home.

I realize it won’t be an easy trip and I am planning on taking two weeks for the ride. From what I understand, there are parts of the highway that aren’t marked or simply don’t exist any longer.

My question for the community is are there some tips and tricks that you might have regarding Route 66 that you can share? I have maps from AAA for the various states and a couple of books, but am looking for a good online guide that has the route.

I’ve been riding for years and while this isn’t my first long ride, this type of ride is new to me. A few years ago, I spent 10 days on the road traveling 4500 miles between CA - OR - WA - ID - MT - WY - CO - AZ - CA. It was a great trip and I experienced everything between snow and extreme heat. I’m hoping this trip will be a bit slower and more relaxed.

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks.
Ken

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Here is a link to a map set of about 6 or 8 state maps that each have it's section of Route 66. Also many interesting comments"=:
Maybe these 100 GPS way points would help.
Plenty of interesting methods of riding the route on line.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a link to a map set of about 6 or 8 state maps that each have it's section of Route 66. Also many interesting comments"=:
Maybe these 100 GPS way points would help.
Plenty of interesting methods of riding the route on line.
Thanks for the response. I'll take a look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts