BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy the 1200RS 2004 model slightly used next weak but i am in the dilemma with a few more 1000 euros i can buy the GT. Need some help to decide.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Petros said:
I am about to buy the 1200RS 2004 model slightly used next weak but i am in the dilemma with a few more 1000 euros i can buy the GT. Need some help to decide.
That's a personal choice. I like the wind in my face and try to ride in warm weather so I prefer the RS. Cold and rain would make the better protection of the GT a better option but of course you would be giving up the sleek beauty of the RS.
Hope you are looking at a RED one, they are the fastest.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Go for the GT you will like it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you getting cruise control? This is a most useful factory option whether you get a GT or RS.

The consensus on this forum seems to be that the GT seat is more comfortable than the stock RS seat and has optional heat which the RS does not. Many people opt for aftermarket seats whether it is a GT or an RS. I bought my RS used and it has a Corbin seat. At some point I plan to buy a second seat that is larger and more comfortable for touring. Then I can swap back and forth.

The GT has more wind protection for hands and legs, however the GT wind guards can be ordered and owner installed on an RS, color matching at extra cost for the hadguards.

Many have more than one windscreen, summer and winter or touring or sport, so I would wouldn't worry about which stock screen is preferable, some GT riders use RS windscreens and I believe vice versa.

Bar backs give an RS rider a more upright GT like riding posture and they can be easily removed for more sporting riding.

In short, I think the the choice is as much about which paint scheme you like, unless you plan to keep the bike stock.

I like the flexibility to be able to reconfigure my bike to suit the weather and type of riding I am doing and I think I would be equally happy with either a GT or RS.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Pete_Tallahassee said:
That's a personal choice. I like the wind in my face and try to ride in warm weather so I prefer the RS. Cold and rain would make the better protection of the GT a better option but of course you would be giving up the sleek beauty of the RS.
Hope you are looking at a RED one, they are the fastest.
I like the wind in my face also....that's why I put an RS screen on my GT....the GT is an RS, so the sleek beauty remains, but with comfort improvements....next time you see a fire, notice the color at the hottest point...it's not red!

·
Registered
42 Posts
what sort of riding you do?

Have ridin both. I live in Colorado and will often disappear for a 1000 mile weekend of mountain riding. GT is the way to go. If you want to zip around town on short runs...get the RS.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the RS. If a GT was available at the time, I would have opt for the GT. I have upgraded my RS to look like the GT now. Just doesn't have the hand and knee gaurds yet. The GT seat is a much comfy seat and I love it.

Which ever one you buy, you must get the cruise control with it. Thought I wouldn't ever use it, but now I use it more often, justs to relax my right arm once in a while. There are GT's out there that are not cruise control equipped!

·
Registered
130 Posts
If I lived in Athens I think I would ride an RS! Not that I have ever been there, but the Greeks that I know here in the states make me think RS not GT. Either way you have chosen a winner.
Good luck - FlagGS

·
Registered
227 Posts
go2leonar said:
Are you getting cruise control? This is a most useful factory option whether you get a GT or RS.

The consensus on this forum seems to be that the GT seat is more comfortable than the stock RS seat and has optional heat which the RS does not. Many people opt for aftermarket seats whether it is a GT or an RS. I bought my RS used and it has a Corbin seat. At some point I plan to buy a second seat that is larger and more comfortable for touring. Then I can swap back and forth.

The GT has more wind protection for hands and legs, however the GT wind guards can be ordered and owner installed on an RS, color matching at extra cost for the hadguards.

Many have more than one windscreen, summer and winter or touring or sport, so I would wouldn't worry about which stock screen is preferable, some GT riders use RS windscreens and I believe vice versa.

Bar backs give an RS rider a more upright GT like riding posture and they can be easily removed for more sporting riding.

In short, I think the the choice is as much about which paint scheme you like, unless you plan to keep the bike stock.

I like the flexibility to be able to reconfigure my bike to suit the weather and type of riding I am doing and I think I would be equally happy with either a GT or RS.

Very good summary, I agree with everything you said. I would add that the GT has the electrically adjustable screen and the RS has a manual only two position screen.

Thus, I picked the RS for the paint scheme and I've added GT stuff to it.

Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can't go wrong with either!

I've owned both (http://community.webshots.com/user/jbrayls) and loved them. I think you get a little more for the money with the GT if you need the extras. Of course if you don't need them, then the RS is the way to go. Don't assume that the bike you're interested in comes standard with cruise control or heated seated and grips for the GT. They are both sweet machines, but they aren't all equipped the same way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Petros said:
I've had both. It is really a wash. The seat is better on the GT, and the electric windscreen is marginally useful. I use a RS windscreen on my GT for summer and a Parabellum for winter. Personal preference....I like the contrast of black bags from my RS on the GT rather than the matching bags.

Ultimately each time I made my decision on color options and price. I loved the Zebra, and a year later I got a great deal on the GT. :bmw:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Get the color you want. The RS is a GT and the GT is an RS. They can be made to be the other. The 2 are the same bike with modifications that can be swapped. The paint is the hardest mod between the two bikes. Both are great.

The GT owners may not agree and the RS owners may complain but such is life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help !!!!!!!, I'll go for the RS mainly because in Greece the weather is 10 months a year warm :) and the extras can come along slowly slowly so i wont get bored quickly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the RS is two-tone, especially Blue-White, go for it. I sold my eye catching RS after 6,000 miles and bought a GT a month ago. Heated seat is great for the year rounders like me, you dont feel chilled even at 32F (or 0 C). Body color side bags look stylish. But there is something I couldnt understand yet, the GT feels heavier than the RS on the curves. I rode the GT only 300 miles, may be it is a false observation, dont know yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got an 03 GT last week. Was tempted by a brand-new 04 RS, but wanted the extra weather protection & heated items.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Changed my mind again and last minute i gave a down payment for the GT, it comes with a cruise control and all extras and the color is blue :D it's a 04 model so the guarantee is still valid for another 6 months. Thanks everyone for your time and the helpful comments. Great site and people i'll be visiting a lot every day :bowdown

1 - 20 of 22 Posts