BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought the RT rack from Italy for the KGT and I now have my RT top case. The RT case seems to have a latching system, which may have been discussed in the past and may be subject to failure. There is my concern. Is the locking system(the rubber claw) on the RT case the one, which may let go in bumpy situations?

If anybody has DIRECT knowledge of this case and this type of locking system, please let me know if i need to be concerned about it failing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
RT case

You don't have to worry, the RT case is not going anywhere. The problem was with the KRS/GT top case .

·
Registered
240 Posts
I put the RT trunk on My GT and have about 5 or 6 thousand miles on it. It has never gotten loose, even when I went into the median at about 75 to 80 when the tongue on my trailer broke. No more trailers for me!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
RT Top Case

I regularly cruise 80-90 mph with the RT case on my GT, and have even done 120 with it on. Never a problem (knock on wood).

·
Registered
143 Posts
??????? So you guys are saying that an RT rack fits onto a GT or RS and you can use the RT topcase. If so what, if any mods are needed to attach it to the RS.
I didn't think this was possible to do.

·
Registered
460 Posts
RT rack on RS/GT

A French company makes a rack for the RS/GT that the RT case fits.....under 250 bucks I think......Can't remember the link or name of the company. I'm sure someone here does or a search will bring it up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
RT Top Case on GT

I have had a RT top Case on my Gt for some time now and have not had any problems. You need to purchase a new rack from Recchia Motos (go to "www.recchia-motos.com" for more information and to order). You then take off your stock GT rack and replace it with the new one and then you can attach the RT top case.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
But then you haave to paint the lid on the trunk so it matches the Side bag lids. Awesome looking Hanshi! Still haven't gotten that accomplished on mine, so I run the city lids so it all matches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hanshi

Awesome top case info. Thanks. A few questions;

1) Where did you acquire the green/grey paint to paint the top case to match?

2) Is your windshield stock? It looks a bit taller to me.

Thanks

Shawn

·
Registered
136 Posts
RT Top Case

Before I went over to the dark side I owned a 2000 RRT with a topcase. Ellen and I used to ride all over an never had a problem with the case getting loose or failing off. After 4 years of use without a problem I would think that it works and should not be a concern.

Oh by the way I think you will find that if you spill chinese food in a topcase it does not leak out.

Regards

Howard

CA1200 said:
I have bought the RT rack from Italy for the KGT and I now have my RT top case. The RT case seems to have a latching system, which may have been discussed in the past and may be subject to failure. There is my concern. Is the locking system(the rubber claw) on the RT case the one, which may let go in bumpy situations?

If anybody has DIRECT knowledge of this case and this type of locking system, please let me know if i need to be concerned about it failing.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmeiseles said:
Oh by the way I think you will find that if you spill chinese food in a topcase it does not leak out.

Regards
Howard
But will Japanese leak??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Rt Topcase On Kgt

SMP1602 said:
Hanshi

Awesome top case info. Thanks. A few questions;

1) Where did you acquire the green/grey paint to paint the top case to match?

2) Is your windshield stock? It looks a bit taller to me.

Thanks

Shawn
Shawn:

I took my topcase to my local car repair/body shop and they used a computer scanner to sample the paint on the bike and to color match it - did a great job. In fact I also just got jumbo lids for the side cases which I am having painted to match the bike as well. I also had my flaring cases painted to match.

The windshield is a Cee Bailys +4 tinted grey. I am 6'1" and short in the inseam so I sit high in the seat - thus the need for a taller windshield. It works great for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hanshi - your top box and other changes are very nice! Unfortunately, my wife was looking over my shoulder when I put up the image - now she wants one for when she's riding with me.

As an aside, I just finished putting on the same gps mount and love it - puts it right up where it's easy to view. I managed to feed the wiring behind the screen support pieces which makes for a very clean install.

Regarding paint, it's readily available through any paint shop, and of course, your local BMW dealer (automotive). That small a part is easy to shoot yourself. Just be sure to use the proper primer for the plastic parts.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Spinner:

Glad the GPS mount worked out for you. Would be interested in how you routed your wires for the clean install. Any photos?

Got a new addition to my seat - a drivers backrest (warning - don't show seat photo to wife - she may also like it)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Top case question

Hanshi said:
I have had a RT top Case on my Gt for some time now and have not had any problems. You need to purchase a new rack from Recchia Motos (go to "www.recchia-motos.com" for more information and to order). You then take off your stock GT rack and replace it with the new one and then you can attach the RT top case.
I've been looking for a top case for my 04 K12RS and this seems to fit the bill. Just to clarify, this is the 33L top case for the R1150RT, correct?

Thanks,
Allan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts