BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got on the bike to go to work this morning and noticed the time was reading 20:24. Interesting, I thought as I had wondered if it was possible to select a 24 hr readout and now I had one. Never mind that it happened completely on it's own and was an hour off. Unfortunately, upon leaving work to come home, the clock was reading 28:50. I guess tomorrow morning I'll find out if I have a 100 hr clock or perhaps mine was built for the Venusian market.

Any guesses where my problem lies? It keeps good time increments the digits at the correct interval and the backlight works properly and has never had a blank display. Are clock modules replaceable or part of a main motherboard? Perhaps a memory battery somewhere that needs changing?

Much thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Got on the bike to go to work this morning and noticed the time was reading 20:24. Interesting, I thought as I had wondered if it was possible to select a 24 hr readout and now I had one. Never mind that it happened completely on it's own and was an hour off. Unfortunately, upon leaving work to come home, the clock was reading 28:50. I guess tomorrow morning I'll find out if I have a 100 hr clock or perhaps mine was built for the Venusian market.

Any guesses where my problem lies? It keeps good time increments the digits at the correct interval and the backlight works properly and has never had a blank display. Are clock modules replaceable or part of a main motherboard? Perhaps a memory battery somewhere that needs changing?

Much thanks, in advance.
This defect / behavior is really NOT common on K1200RS-GT.
There is no separate battery - it relies on main bike battery and a fuse for this part of the instrument panel.
Before assuming a defective clock unit, you should first investigate:
1) what is the main battery voltage at rest (and overnight AFTER a long pause).
2) check if clock fuse contacts are clean and NOT loose.
3) check connector under front fairing - there is a separate connector for the clock display unit (see photos below).

In the worst case, the clock module can be removed from the main dash / instruments unit. Once in a while a seller on EBAY will sell these used clock module separately from the instruments cluster. Many EBAY sellers will offer a full instruments cluster for a a fairly low price - these do not fail often so there are a lot for sale...

Font Gas Auto part Metal Machine

Electronic component Electronic device Terrestrial plant Composite material Electronic engineering

Circuit component Electronic component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Gadget

Reactions: saddleman and Beech

·
Registered
682 Posts
Salor, strictly out of curiosity, do you know what's accessed under the small panel held by the brass colored Philips screw?
Small panel is only designed to pass the wire / connector out from the main dash assy. But the clock unit needs to be pulled from the front - for such job you need to open the whole dash assy. I really do not know why BMW did not made this small clock connector pins part of the main dash connectors (2 large 12 pins connector). They had they own reasons to make the clock a separate unit - however they failed to give a full access from behind.

See this YOUTUBE video to learn how to open the dash assy to get to the clock. It is is German, but you can easily follow along even with volume Off:

Reactions: saddleman
1 - 4 of 4 Posts