BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trading the GT for the S in the Spring...how do you find the ergos on the S vs the GT (for those of you that have ridden both)?

The bulk of my riding is to and from work (only a 30 minute commute each way through residential neighbourhoods) and the odd weekend ride, plus I can generally squeeze in 1 or 2 week-to-10 day rides during the summer months. I think the S might be a better fit.

I could see buying another GT down the road when I have more time for touring.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Never had a GT but bought a previously owned KRS with bar backs putting the bars in a GT like position. As soon as I returned home with the bike I put the bars in the lowest position. I find the slight forward cant not only more comfortable but more fun... plus better for the back. Anyway, the KS ergos are similar to that of the KRS and I think spot on ergonomically. With the bulk of my rides < 400 miles the S is the more suitable choice for me... even if the new KGT were available.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mark, I had a 2003 K1200GT which I sold so I could buy the 2005 K1200S. I have never looked back. The GT was a great bike; there were two things the GT had that I miss on the S: cruise control and an add-on backrest that I used to strap a t-bag to. I've learned to pack much lighter, and I have to say the S is great, but it takes getting used to. I went on a 4,000 mile ride this summer. My 16 son was with me for 3,200 of those miles. He said there is definitely less room on the pillion, but it was still comfortable. He noticed some wind buffeting, but I got the Vario adjustable windshield from Pirate and that solved that problem. I'm 54 years old, just under 5'11 and I'm loving the bike.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know your question is about the present GT version and I haven't ridden one, but I tried the sitting position of the new GT at the Long Beach show and I am very happy I own the S. Much more suitable riding position for my liking I've been on a 900mile weekend and no trouble with the comfort or sitting. I found the position of the new GT too upright and the upper edge of the windshield was right about my eyes line, I think this could be adjusted though. I also found that I was locked in one sitting position because the seat doesn't allow much of front to back sliding.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Nick

·
Registered
137 Posts
The dealer loaned me a K1200GT for about three weeks when I first got my KS, and I have to say the KS is a far better bike for me. The additional weight of the GT made it more of a handful in parking lots, and it didn't feel as glued to the road at high speeds as the KS. I have made a few 4 day trips on the KS with the wife and never had a problem with storage space (it was perfect - "you wanna buy something? throw away .... ")

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've ridden a friend's RS and I found the riding position nothing like as comfortable as my S. The S is the most comfortable bike I've ridden, by far. The RS riding position is too upright for me. Sit on an S and decide what's best for you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
sincGT said:
Thinking of trading the GT for the S in the Spring...how do you find the ergos on the S vs the GT (for those of you that have ridden both)?

The bulk of my riding is to and from work (only a 30 minute commute each way through residential neighbourhoods) and the odd weekend ride, plus I can generally squeeze in 1 or 2 week-to-10 day rides during the summer months. I think the S might be a better fit.

I could see buying another GT down the road when I have more time for touring.
Sorry to say you're the only one that can really answer this. I had two KRS models and found the stretch to the bars just too far for me. I'm about 5'10''. It really hurt my back after a while. It's a shame since I really liked the bike. Great engine and very stable. I also had an R1100S boxer cup prep which was a MUCH sportier position but I rode it for over 600 miles a couple of times and felt great at the end of the day. Go figure.

Bottom line is the seating position, much like a seat itself, is very personal. It either works for you or it doesn't and no one else can answer this for you.

I found the K1200S to have my favorite windshield of all time. Just the right amount of air and a great, even, flow. The difference between the coverage between your GT and the S should also be considered since you put in some longer rides now and again. Windshields, like seats and riding positions either work for you or they don't.

I would recommend taking as long a test ride as possible and then I think you'll know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts