BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday, Nov. 27, Victor Beard (vbeard on this board) and Cord Jamison last their lives. Victor's last post on this board was just two days before his death. Here is an excerpt from a post on another board describing the accident-

"According to various reports, Victor and Cord were traveling very quickly up Yarnell hill.

Victor was riding lead, with Cord quite close to him as they entered a left hand sweeper in the outside lane. Both riders had their knees near the ground. Vic's rear wheel slid a bit, and he gathered it back up, but to do so he had to bring the bike out of its deep lean, which apparently caused him to run wide to the outside of the turn, striking the guardrail at a shallow angle.

While we'll never know for sure, it may be that observing this distracted Cord; whatever it was, he went off-line himself, his new trajectory taking him into a tremendously hard impact with the guardrail at a steeper angle than Victor's.

Cord died instantly, Victor a few minutes later."

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Damn!! Not Another...

Julian... While I never met Victor, Amber and I had both spoken with him in the past.. great guy. hate to hear this...

I'll assume he was on his new K1200S.... Geezz..

If you run into or talk to any of his family members, can you convey our condolences? Very sorry to hear this...

·
Registered
68 Posts
condolences

Very sad to hear of a rider getting killed. Watch out for those new K1200s fellows. They need a bunch of getting used to.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very sad news indeed.
While I didn't know either of them personally, their loss is tragic and sad not only for their families but for all of us that share the passion of riding and the friendships of the fine people we ride with.

As I read through Victors previous posts here on this site. I cant help but think how full of life he must have been and how much he enjoyed riding. I also can't help but think how easily it could have been anyone else, including myself, who's posts are on this board but are no longer with us.

I think if I were Victor or Cord, I might want to say to all that survive me;
"We never know when our time is up. I certainly didn't want to leave this soon and am saddened by the pain it may cause my loved ones but at least when my time did come, it happened quickly doing what I love to do."

Maybe we might all take this time to reflect upon our own riding habits.

Perfect weather, perfect roads, high performance bikes and a passion to ride hard is a combination for some of us that can't be beat. It's also a combination that can impair good judgement. If you ride at the upper limits of your ability on a public road, you greatly increase your chances of leaving this world sooner than you had expected.

Victor and Cord,... rest in peace friends!

·
Registered
212 Posts
condolences

well said marklam. condolenses to the family.
gods speed victor and cord

·
Registered
310 Posts
mark5lam said:
"We never know when our time is up. I certainly didn't want to leave this soon and am saddened by the pain it may cause my loved ones but at least when my time did come, it happened quickly doing what I love to do."
Brilliant prose. With your permission I would like to keep this quote, attributed to 'Mark', and use it on those occasions where announcements of this type are made on other MC boards I frequent.

·
Registered
214 Posts
romoshka said:
Brilliant prose. With your permission I would like to keep this quote, attributed to 'Mark', and use it on those occasions where announcements of this type are made on other MC boards I frequent.
Sure. I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was part of the group that Victor and Cord were riding with. There were about 8-9 of us. As best I can tell, I arrived at the accident scene about 2-3 minutes after the incident took place. It was horrific. What happens when a motorcycle and rider strike a guard rail at 90-100 MPH at a deep angle is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Several people were reduced to incoherent babbling and at least one completely fell apart and had to leave immediately. Everyone that was at the scene has been in a state of shock to some extent since Sunday. Losing two friends in one day and attending two funerals in 24 hours is not easy.

I must implore you: Please slow down and ride well-under your limits. What's on the other side is too horrible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DangerMoney said:
I was part of the group that Victor and Cord were riding with. There were about 8-9 of us. As best I can tell, I arrived at the accident scene about 2-3 minutes after the incident took place. It was horrific. What happens when a motorcycle and rider strike a guard rail at 90-100 MPH at a deep angle is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Several people were reduced to incoherent babbling and at least one completely fell apart and had to leave immediately. Everyone that was at the scene has been in a state of shock to some extent since Sunday. Losing two friends in one day and attending two funerals in 24 hours is not easy.

I must implore you: Please slow down and ride well-under your limits. What's on the other side is too horrible.
I'll echo this sentiment. I love to go fast like the rest of us. But IMHO, if you're riding above 60% of your sill/comfort level on the road, you're going too fast. There are just too many variables out of your control on the road. Take it to the track where the envivornment is more deterministic. I'm not saying go slow, I'm saying stay within your skill zone so you've got plenty of headroom if/when something unexpected happens.

I didn't know either of our fallen bretheren, but God's speed to them. My deepest condolences to their families and friends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts