BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Safari

Yes Westridge I am going,leaving Horsham on the 10th May to Hay NSW then onto Bathurst. Will have one spare day in Bathurst to have a look around also have a spare day in Twin Waters on the Saturday . Not sure which way I am heading home yet.
cheers Andrew K1600GT

·
Registered
29 Posts
G'day Andrew
I have just noticed that you are now riding the K1600GT. Can you give us a test report on the bike since you have now had it for a couple of months. I am also thinking of updating my K1200GT but not sure what to go for.
Cheers Filodian

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Filodian, well yes have had it since mid February. Hmmm well it has a fantastic motor just so smooth and such a linear power curve,you can beetle around in 6th all day. The downside is it has a very clunky (noisy) drive train i.e. where the gearbox drives the final drive. I would suggest you take one for a ride and note this.It is big (for me) feels huge compared to my R1200GS and big even to the K1300GT.(even though it is about the same size)
Don't know, I would suggest ?? maybe wait till BMW have done an update (version 2) and they will have fixed the final drive lash.
Another on the plus side it is so bloody comfortable, riding back and forth to Melbourne (300km) it just glides along, stick the screen up a bit and it is fantastic. Have a mate with a FJR1300 and we swapped the other day, would not swap the K1600GT for 10 FJR's !!
Did I mention the motor is fantastic ? Suggest you take one for a ride, Southbank has a demo.
cheers Andrew
ps did I mention how smooth the motor is ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I,ll be taking one for a demo ride shortly but it is hard to get a fair assesment on such a short ride. Have you noticed any heat issues from the engine, which i've read about elsewhere. The size of the bike is also probably going to be my biggest issue as i have seen the bike and sat on it and it does look and feel big. But it certainly has enough positives to warrant a test ride and consideration. The K1200gt has been an awsome machine with just the right mix for long distance touring and fun day rides and there is nothing around at the moment that comes within coowee of it as a replacement for me. Cheers mate.
Regards Filodian

·
Registered
239 Posts
OK Filodian I am sure you will love the K1600GT, do not take cheque book with you when you test ride. A little bit of heat on the LHS nothing to worry about and only really notice it if I am riding without boots.Really have no complaints about bike except for drive line lash,apart from that is perfect. Am sure you will love it. Maybe the Melbourne guys should meet up some time at Southbank for a coffee ? Not sure when I will be down next.
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
239 Posts
Safari

Westridge when are you heading off for the safari and which way are you riding to Bathurst ? Maybe we could meet up somewhere ?
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
239 Posts
It was good had a great time. Long ride home by myself. Only had 2 quick chats to Westridge he was off having to much fun as well I would think !
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got back yesterday, had an extended trip and got up to Townsville. Had a great time and it was a brilliant safari. Some great riding and that Lions Road up near Kyogle was just brilliant. Considering moving there LOL. Met some great people and caught up with some old mates. Would highly recommend anyone who hasn't done one do it.

If I am down in Vic Andrew will get in touch would be fun to go for a ride.

Cheers

·
Registered
239 Posts
Safari

OK Johnny , yes it was a good ride,boy you sure did extend it ! I had plans to ride up to Darwin to see my daughter but chickened out !
Yes if you are coming over to VIC let me know. Was surprised at how good some of the roads were,our local club is now planning a ride up to check them out ! Think Victoria is to small !
cheers Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts