BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Long Beach thread seems to have run out of steam finally, after more than 70 posts.

So, Dean and all you guys going to the San Jose Show this weekend; how about a report and a few pictures from this show. It will be interesting to see if any new information can be relayed to this board. The new dimension here will the sponsorship of the San Jose BMW dealership at the event. Maybe something interesting can be passed along from their perspective.

Thanks in advance.

Miles

·
Registered
167 Posts
San Jose Show

Can any one please relay info on this show. I want to attend and need more info like location directions cost and so on.

Thanks, fletch

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Well...
The bike looks better in real-time than in the pictures. What is funny, though, is the little attraction value it had during the time I was there (Friday and Sunday evenings). Never more than three people hanging around it. Both days I just walked up to it, sat on it (made those little vroom-vroom noises...little kids must've thought Santa was nuts). The R1200GS Adventure had a bit more traffic, but not a lot of folks looking at either those two or the HP2. Some folks seemed to have the attention of the BMW reps, but for the most part, the BMW folks were half in the background. So, it wasn't that interested folks were being run off or anything.

Sat on it, it's obviously lighter than my '03 GT, and the bars come up further toward the rider than my non-adjustable ones. No tool available to adjust it, but probably not meant to be adjusted at the show (dumb...) Bags never came off, even after a "suggestive query" to see what the bike looked like without the bags. "Looks just as good as it does now". Oh...

The one on display didn't have a heated seat switch, so I checked the option list and it's listed there. Have to order that if you want the warm tush. Feels just as well balanced as the first version. Even noted that the "K1200GT" emblem is the same one. But, as nice as it is, and the headlights are treacherous, even when off, it doesn't have the better style that the older one has. The fairing looks too "add-on" to me. Angular, yes, but not as bad as the pictures. Good anchor points on the tank, too, so I imagine they (BMW) figured that it'd be chasing sweepers like it's predecessor, albeit with a bit more power available. No one knew if the rear gearing was that of the "S" or the "R", which is kind of disappointing. You'd think the BMW reps would know. But, then, one of the prettier ones signed me up for a demo ride...even though they didn't have any BMW demo rides this year in San Jose. And, yes, I asked specifically if they were having rides there at the show. The only ones with demo rides were Buell and Star (a separate division of Yamaha). I signed up for a HP2 demo and, naturally, the GT. I'll wait for an email to see which dealer I'm going to have to go to for my demo.

Didn't go there with the idea of "If I like it, I'll buy one", but more curious than anything else. Reminds me of the K75RT I had. Don't see any way it's going to directly replace the LT, though. It'll be interesting to see how they fit the new motor into the LT...if they do go to the new motor.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Miles_Miller said:
Well, the Long Beach thread seems to have run out of steam finally, after more than 70 posts.

So, Dean and all you guys going to the San Jose Show this weekend; how about a report and a few pictures from this show. It will be interesting to see if any new information can be relayed to this board. The new dimension here will the sponsorship of the San Jose BMW dealership at the event. Maybe something interesting can be passed along from their perspective.

Thanks in advance.

Miles
Dean was there, got to meet him finally. Probably be a day or so before he gets pictures (and comments) posted as he's working with San Jose BMW for the show. Good people there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts

Here is a repost of your picture with the software resizing it to 720. What distortion do you see?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Perhaps different computers display the resized images differently, but the first picture shown here is a 720 pixel resize I did myself, the second one is what I see on my screen from the forum's resizing. Don't tell me you can't see the difference! Why is it necessary to resize below, say 800 pixels, a common image size? Why not allow more, anyway?

Attachments

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Your original picture (resized by the forum)

The picture you resized to 720 yourself

The picture you showed with the disortion

The one that the forum software resized shows very smooth lines (just as the original did). Just look at the stripes in the top picture versus the lower picture. The upper picture shows the diagonal black stripe as very smooth. The middle picture from my end looks identical to the upper picture. The lower picture shows the diagonal black stripe as "bumpy". Our software does not do an actual resize using compression, it just uses the HTML width tags.

I can up the size to 800, it was originally 640 (a common standard for the largest acceptible inline display of images on websites). I upped it to 720 to accomodate another request. If you think it will help, we can up it to 800.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Steve,

Sorry, I was wrong about the resizing technique. The software does in fact use GD2 to do a resize of the picture to 720 pixels if the size is greater than 720.

If you think it will help, I can up that size to 800.

·
Registered
759 Posts
800 would be way better for me, as I tend to size to that for other forums. It seems like most folks' resolutions can display at least an 800 image. Personally, I'd rather see 1024. My screen resolution can handle it, as many others' as well I'm sure. Is there a way images can be downsized without being distorted?

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I can up it to 800.

Again, I still cannot see on either my Mac or my PC any distortion between the picture you resized yourself or the picture resized by the forum. I see the distortion in the other picture you posted to show the distortion, but I cannot see any difference between the forum resized picture and your resized picture. Maybe the distortion is something dependent on the quality of the monitor.

The reason this was put in place was to control images that extended the forum beyond the width of a browser, requiring the need to use the scrollbar in order to read the post. This was a big complaint of the old software.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My screens are on a late model Toshiba and a brand new one. They're good screens. It must be a software, resolution, or video card type of issue. You techie guys are supposed to know! Anyway, 800 would be an adequate improvement for me, thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyway, great pics.

·
Registered
212 Posts
great pic . did any one get pic of the r1200gs adv ? if so con you post them.
thank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts