BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took about a 200 mile ride today, NE Florida, hot; around 90 degrees F+ most of the ride. Longest seat time was about 1.5 hours.

PLEASE NOTE, THIS SEAT REVIEW IS A BMW FURNISHED PAN, FROM THEIR CUSTOM SHOP. YOU (I) FURNISH THE PAN, THEY MAKE THE SEAT PER YOUR DESIRES. THIS SEAT IS NOT THE SEAT THAT'S EXPECTED TO COME OUT IN THE SPRING OF 2007 WHERE YOU BUY FROM THEIR INVENTORY WITHOUT HAVING TO FURNISH THE PAN.

Compared to the BMW standard seat AND the LOW seat this seat is significantly better. I could have ridden all day with it.
By viewing the pictures, and you may not notice, but the seat is a trifle wider than the BMW furnished seat. They have slightly 'dished' out the seat towards the rear of the seat and there is no tendency to slide forward into the tank. Once you plant your butt, it stays unless of course you elect to move it. On both the standard BMW and the low BMW seat I tended to be very frequently shifting around to find someplace more comfortable, and never really achieving it. I found this Sargent seat to be immeasurably more comfortable.

Understand that in order to have a custom seat made you must send in your pan.

See PIX, any questions, reply in thread, e-mail or PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
ride height comparison

how is the ride height compared to the low seat option. I have a 28" inseam and am not flat footed on the GT but not entirely on the balls of me feet on with the regular seat. I did not sit on the GT with the low seat but the dealer said I would probably be flat footed with it.

I want to demo ride the GT in a month or so...closer to the time I am ready to purchase.

Thanks for the great pictures.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice report.
Those are great pictures, it looks like Seargent does good work.
Did you notice a difference in comfort on the inside of your thighs ???
This is where the stock seat tears me up.

I also noticed you have a carbon fiber tank protector. Is that the same one for the older GT's. ???
If you could provide some info on where to get them .
Thanks.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Did you use the pan from the stock seat or the low seat you ordered? Are they the same pan with different materials, or are they different?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTdavey said:
Nice report.
Those are great pictures, it looks like Seargent does good work.
Did you notice a difference in comfort on the inside of your thighs ???
This is where the stock seat tears me up.

I also noticed you have a carbon fiber tank protector. Is that the same one for the older GT's. ???
If you could provide some info on where to get them .
Thanks.
I have to be honest, I didn't have any 'apparent' issue on the inside of my thighs. I am 5' 8" with a 30" inseam and the bottom line, FOR ME, is that this is a much more comfortable seat. The two BMW's were not terrible, but I could never seem to settle in ANYWHERE. The standard, with the hump, was the worst, the lower seat a bit better.

The tank protector comes from ZTech and it's for the R1150R. A heat gun persuaded the fins to bend in a bit more.

Regards

And sorry if I didn't answer your question.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eljeffe said:
Did you use the pan from the stock seat or the low seat you ordered? Are they the same pan with different materials, or are they different?
I used the pan from the stock seat. I haven't compared the two but I'd bet it's the same pan, just different foam/covering.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey john
this surely is great news
thanks for the wonderful pictures as well

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seat Pans

I have the regular seat and the low seat. The pans are exactly the same. They even have the same part number on them.

Paul G.

jpalamaro said:
I used the pan from the stock seat. I haven't compared the two but I'd bet it's the same pan, just different foam/covering.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pgatto said:
I have the regular seat and the low seat. The pans are exactly the same. They even have the same part number on them.

Paul G.
No surprise there. Thanks, I was going to go out and compare and you saved me the trouble.

·
Registered
232 Posts
John - Your continually moving around description is exactly my experience too, and after 2600 miles it gets old. OK, so it looks very good. To whom did you speak at Sargent, and how long did it take? And if you don't mind me asking, approximately how much did it cost (email if you want)? I presume you can select from their different seat coverings (what is the one you have?). I'm willing to be seatless for a week or two (can ride the other bike) if it means a better mousetrap, I mean seat.
Thanks for the great post!
Greg

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sunday Ride Update

jpalamaro said:
Took about a 200 mile ride today, NE Florida, hot; around 90 degrees F+ most of the ride. Longest seat time was about 1.5 hours.

PLEASE NOTE, THIS SEAT REVIEW IS A BMW FURNISHED PAN, FROM THEIR CUSTOM SHOP. YOU (I) FURNISH THE PAN, THEY MAKE THE SEAT PER YOUR DESIRES. THIS SEAT IS NOT THE SEAT THAT'S EXPECTED TO COME OUT IN THE SPRING OF 2007 WHERE YOU BUY FROM THEIR INVENTORY WITHOUT HAVING TO FURNISH THE PAN.

Compared to the BMW standard seat AND the LOW seat this seat is significantly better. I could have ridden all day with it.
By viewing the pictures, and you may not notice, but the seat is a trifle wider than the BMW furnished seat. They have slightly 'dished' out the seat towards the rear of the seat and there is no tendency to slide forward into the tank. Once you plant your butt, it stays unless of course you elect to move it. On both the standard BMW and the low BMW seat I tended to be very frequently shifting around to find someplace more comfortable, and never really achieving it. I found this Sargent seat to be immeasurably more comfortable.

Understand that in order to have a custom seat made you must send in your pan.

See PIX, any questions, reply in thread, e-mail or PM me.
THE BMW SEAT ISSUE HAS BEEN PERPLEXING ME. THE SARGENT SEAT WAS BUILT ON THE STANDARD SEAT PAN BUT BOTH LOW/STD ARE THE SAME PANS. TO SATISFY MY CURIOUSITY IS PUT THE BMW LOW SEAT BACK ON THIS SUNDAY MORNING AND TOOK A SHORT 30 MILE RIDE. SINCE I JUST RODE THE SARGENT YESTERDAY I THOUGHT I COULD NAIL DOWN THE DIFFERENCES/PROBLEM WITH BMW'S SEAT:

The BMW seat has NO butt shape and the internal foam is unyielding to any shaping. I think you can ride this seat 2000 miles and it's going to be exactly the same. As a result, and without being gross or anatomically correct, the entire pressure of your body is focused on what feels like a high spot just behind your testicles and forward of your (me oh my) anus; and in reality this is an UNYIELDING foam area. And while these numbers are hypothetical, if for example your entire buttocks area flattens to one square foot, the focal area (described above) of the seat is about one-quarter of a square foot. The weight is not distributed enough. Hence this constant attempt to find a comfortable spot.
So, either custom seat people OR wait for a BMW solution. HA!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Perfect definition of the 'problem' with the stock seat.

I just did 6300 miles in 18 days, it took about 1k miles for my arse to get to a fully 'pained' state, then it pretty much stayed in that same state for the remaining miles.

Two VERY defined points of discomfort!

·
Registered
18 Posts
stock seat sux

ditto, I have never had a more uncomfortable bike seat! I like long rides but I thought I would be permanently altered if I kept my stock seat - so yesterday I just got back my seats from Bill Mayer Saddles and will put the driver's seat to the test in the next couple days. BTW they did a great job with reshaping them in gray leather to match my Dark Graphite machine. I had a Sargent seat on my Rockster and it was a big improvement. My LT seat was great stock, up to 1K mi/day with no real discomfort.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Sorry to be out of the chorus, guys, but my stock seat became O.K. after the first 1000 km. And I do not feel any inconvenience now!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck . . . the Sargent is as GOOD as the stock seat was BAD. Sadly, with a little work the stock could be good. Take out the high-spot center/front and dish out the rear is all it takes. But then again, if I could have done it I would have.

Hope your money well spent . . . Sargent's job was $295; I went with the black vinyl as I am basically lazy and didn't feel like 'caring' or leather. Also, I never ride two up so the vinyl matched the driver's seat perfectly.

Regards,
John

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
John,
It's good you did not take leather. Leather becomes wet in the rain and will lose it's shape soon.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know a lot of people like leather, for whatever reasons. I hear it gets more supple and comfortable with age, but as you said it does soak water and it does take some reasonable maintenance.

How about some pix . . . I've noticed many times that you are in Moscow and that's very interesting. Your bike with some famous backdrops would be very nice indeed.

Starting to think, heck, I carry enough stuff, certainly a couple of lever won't at least take much space!

Rgds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sargent Seat

A Sargent seat for my GT is in the mail as I type. I am 5'4'' and currently riding with the regular seat. I am looking forward to the Sargent as it is definitely the lowest out there at 30.75 and only a couple more $$ than the BMW low seat which I think is 31.
I will post more info and pictures once I get it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts