BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give any details as I get them.

Sargent seats is here in my town. They will be using my bike (K1200S) for prototyping and fitment. I am dropping it off next week so the process IS moving along.

I will post any status I get as I get it....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joema said:
Will there be some type of pillion seat backrest option for the Sargent seat?

I dont know the answer to that. I will ask them about it when I drop the bike off Monday.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Todd, I've been after these guys for well over a year to get going with that project, glad to see there's some movement finally. I had asked and they had indicated they might be willing to produce a product similar to Corbin's Smuggler. Many of us ride solo and the rear storage is most welcome. Please, since you're down there and having direct contact, see if you can get them to follow up on that, or at the very least, give us an indication as to whether they will or won't. Corbin's design is very nice, but I've read one too many horror stories about fitment and service. From a marketing standpoint, I'd push the solo riding thing, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zombiewolf said:
Todd, I've been after these guys for well over a year to get going with that project, glad to see there's some movement finally. I had asked and they had indicated they might be willing to produce a product similar to Corbin's Smuggler. Many of us ride solo and the rear storage is most welcome. Please, since you're down there and having direct contact, see if you can get them to follow up on that, or at the very least, give us an indication as to whether they will or won't. Corbin's design is very nice, but I've read one too many horror stories about fitment and service. From a marketing standpoint, I'd push the solo riding thing, thanks in advance.

I will ask... This is why I posted out on the site. I dont want to take a list a mile long but a few requests or some feedback always helps them know what the customers are thinking about...! So that is a plus for them.

I will take the time to talk with the designer. I think I will see him tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just wanted to give you guys a status....

I dropped my bike off there this morning. Their shop is very nice. I mentioned the 2 suggestions you guys have made (pillion back rest and storage area and these type options are already part of their designs...!!!!

In fact, he showed me the prototype and it looked great!!!!! You guys are really going to be happy about this seat. It really looked well thought out and should have something for everyone.

I will tell you guys/gals more as I learn it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
sportrider said:
Their good..but holy site, their sloooow!

I'm waiting patiently now for 18 months...
+1 here. Sometimes I feel like taking my chance with the Corbin and its fitment, just because there is no alternative (got to admit, their smuggler is extremely tempting).
Toddg, do you think it's possible that Sargent can give us pixs of their prototypes so that we can get an idea on their appearances? If they look good, it will surely convince us to wait longer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought the Corbin seats, backrest and smuggler. Could not get the smuggler to fit right and the rear seat took about 20 mins of wrestling to get it to go on. I decided to take the smuggler into A&S Cycles for fitting.

On the offramp to A&S I hit a pothole and the smuggler bounced off, destroying the surfaces and paint. A&S could not fit the parts.

Since Corbin's factory is only about 150 miles away, I decided to ride over there and take in the smuggler for fitting and repair. It took them 3 hours of working on the set-up including removing the seat cover and trimming the foam on the front seat before they could get the smuggler to latch properly. They kept the smuggler for a couple weeks to repair the damage caused by the bounce off.

The point is that the products they made were sold as K1200R parts and were suppose to fit my K1200R but they didn't. I had to ride 150 miles each way, spend the night and wait 2 weeks to get it to fit properly. On top of that they said they would charge $200 to reapair the smuggler even though it was their fault it didn't fit in the first place, they implied they "may" waive the cost, they would speak to mgmt.

I gave them my CC numbers, they didn't charge me $200, they charged me $235 :wtf Needless to say I am pissed, would never buy another Corbin product and would not recommend them.

It's a shame they do not understand CUSTOMER SERVICE because I do like the parts. I get a lot of other riders asking about the parts but I tell my story and they don't buy, I could have been an good advocate/sales person for Corbin, but I feel cheated.

If Corbin reads this, please refund my money for repairing your defective parts!!! PM me for details

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sportrider said:
Ed,

That's just wrong in so many ways...!

No Corbin for me!

I'll wait another 18 months on Sargent...but that's it! 3 years is my max!

ont think it will be anywhere NEAR that time frame from this point till you can buy a seat from them.

That is my best guess. But I will ask next time I talk with them to try and get ETA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tatran said:
+1 here. Sometimes I feel like taking my chance with the Corbin and its fitment, just because there is no alternative (got to admit, their smuggler is extremely tempting).
Toddg, do you think it's possible that Sargent can give us pixs of their prototypes so that we can get an idea on their appearances? If they look good, it will surely convince us to wait longer.

I can ask about pics. But my guess is that they wouldnt want to give pics of a prototype until it is basically a final product. And once it is at that stage you would be close to production anyways. But I dont know that 1st hand since I have never been involved with this kind of thing before.

I cant give specifics (as of course nothing is final yet and no need to get expectations set one way if they have a potential to change) but based on your question, I would HIGHLY suggest you wait to see this final product before buying anything else.

·
Registered
403 Posts
K12R said:
I bought the Corbin seats, backrest and smuggler. Could not get the smuggler to fit right and the rear seat took about 20 mins of wrestling to get it to go on. I decided to take the smuggler into A&S Cycles for fitting.

On the offramp to A&S I hit a pothole and the smuggler bounced off, destroying the surfaces and paint. A&S could not fit the parts.

Since Corbin's factory is only about 150 miles away, I decided to ride over there and take in the smuggler for fitting and repair. It took them 3 hours of working on the set-up including removing the seat cover and trimming the foam on the front seat before they could get the smuggler to latch properly. They kept the smuggler for a couple weeks to repair the damage caused by the bounce off.

The point is that the products they made were sold as K1200R parts and were suppose to fit my K1200R but they didn't. I had to ride 150 miles each way, spend the night and wait 2 weeks to get it to fit properly. On top of that they said they would charge $200 to reapair the smuggler even though it was their fault it didn't fit in the first place, they implied they "may" waive the cost, they would speak to mgmt.

I gave them my CC numbers, they didn't charge me $200, they charged me $235 :wtf Needless to say I am pissed, would never buy another Corbin product and would not recommend them.

It's a shame they do not understand CUSTOMER SERVICE because I do like the parts. I get a lot of other riders asking about the parts but I tell my story and they don't buy, I could have been an good advocate/sales person for Corbin, but I feel cheated.

If Corbin reads this, please refund my money for repairing your defective parts!!! PM me for details
I ordered the Smuggler/Seat combo from Corbin last year when they first came out. The yellow paint did not match the Bumblebee yellow and the BMW side cases could not be used without modification to the mounting posts. In addition, when I fitted the unit it just looked odd on the bike. I had high hopes for the thing but it turned out bad, IMO.

On the positive side, Corbin refunded my money with no hassel.

Hope Sargent comes out with a good, sleek design.

·
Registered
209 Posts
K12R said:

+1 - I had the seat before Ed. It didn't go right on with mine either. A&S got it fitted but what's up with that? You have to have a dealer install a seat?? I've added pipes to every bike I've had, snorkels, fenders...but I couldn't get their seat to attach. Dang shame.

·
Registered
418 Posts
All you had to do was read Jerry's excellent write-up on his horrible Smuggler/seat purchase a while back to avoid the aggravation with Corbin. I am surprised that theill fitting seats/smuggler sections continue to this day inspite of the numerous complaints (including their customer servive). There are others out there, lets support them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't help but thinking that may be BMW is partly to blame. I find that my stock seat is a bit tricky to open and close whereas my other bikes it was straight forward. Anyone else having that problem? Perhaps the positioning of their latches/pins are not consistent from bike to bike?

·
Registered
288 Posts
seat latch problems

tatran said:
I can't help but thinking that may be BMW is partly to blame. I find that my stock seat is a bit tricky to open and close whereas my other bikes it was straight forward. Anyone else having that problem? Perhaps the positioning of their latches/pins are not consistent from bike to bike?
Three things that might help:

1. Try re-positioning the latch just a tad, side to side if possible...just a tad might help.
2. Keep a little lube on the latch mechanism itself; not sure what my tech put on but it's
thick, not a spray-on or liquid.
3. As you turn the key to the left to unlatch, give the top of the saddle a sharp whack toward the back end with your other hand. This helps release, it'll pop up right away every time. To latch securely back unto the bike, position properly and again whack it sharply at the same spot (rear of the saddle right over the latch mechanism). I HAD your same problem early on until I discovered these remedies.

Some might argue you shouldn't have to go through these manuevers but I find it a small price to pay for having the all-around great bike that it is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
zombiewolf said:
Three things that might help:

1. Try re-positioning the latch just a tad, side to side if possible...just a tad might help.
2. Keep a little lube on the latch mechanism itself; not sure what my tech put on but it's
thick, not a spray-on or liquid.
3. As you turn the key to the left to unlatch, give the top of the saddle a sharp whack toward the back end with your other hand. This helps release, it'll pop up right away every time. To latch securely back unto the bike, position properly and again whack it sharply at the same spot (rear of the saddle right over the latch mechanism). I HAD your same problem early on until I discovered these remedies.

Some might argue you shouldn't have to go through these manuevers but I find it a small price to pay for having the all-around great bike that it is.

If the substance your tech put on the latch was white, it was white lithium grease. Used alot on car door hinges etc....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts