BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you like it. Really? In comparison to the newest version of the GT seat. Be honest, if you had to do it over is it really worth $800 plus? I've read through everything that I can find and still have mixed feelings on taking the plunge on one. I looked at all, Russells, Mayer, etc....can't get by the wings and the 3 month wait time, but the Sargents seem pretty good. More towards one up and a more aggressive riding style.

But when I look at side by side pictures of my saddle and the Sargent they don't look all that different as far as shape and foam thickness. They sure are purdy though! So please tell, is your butt better for it? Do you really notice a difference after 400 or more miles in comparison to the original seat?

There's still part of me that thinks even a Lazy Boy is uncomfortable after 12 hours and 500 miles. However after market saddles seem to be selling like hotcakes so maybe they're on to something.

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm wondering too...

I made the plunge on both my LT and RT. Both Corbin. Now, I didn't really care for the Corbin on the LT and ended up taking it off and going back to stock. With my RT I went with Corbin and loved it. However, I got it at Myrtle Beach bike week off the truck and had a chance to TRY it before I bought. Now, I'm just waiting for MB bike week in May for the big blue truck to return so I can TRY the Corbin on the GT. We'll see what happens.

Bill

·
Registered
433 Posts
So I have not been on the bike a lot lately except for a few 1 hour rides to work and back. I installed the seat a few months ago. I had the original BMW seat, the one most seem to hate. I'm 6' 4" and about 260 now.

Observations:

Sits flatter so I don't slide into the tank, I think this reduces wrist stress, which was a problem for me. +

Seems slippery, which seems odd to me. -

I don't think the heater works as good as the BMW stock heater. -
The connector for the heater was a bit hokey and I was tired. -

I only got the front seat and the rear cover (have not installed it yet) but the old stock rear seat now that it sits higher has a bigger lip between front and back which kind of makes a nice little back support. +

Long distance comfort, TBD.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Maxi Pads with Wings

Robert_W said:
How do you like it. Really? In comparison to the newest version of the GT seat. Be honest, if you had to do it over is it really worth $800 plus?
But when I look at side by side pictures of my saddle and the Sargent they don't look all that different as far as shape and foam thickness.
They sure are purdy though!
So please tell, is your butt better for it? Do you really notice a difference after 400 or more miles in comparison to the original seat?
Thanks
Robert,
I think it is uglier than stock but not as ugly as the rest of the seats out there; wings as you put it.

I installed a Sargent seat for a different reason. MORE LEG ROOM. That's right! The stock seat was comfortable enough for 13 hour days but my knees would cramp. The Sargent does not compress as much and gives me an extra inch of leg room for my 6'3" 36 inch inseamed body. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference. I also use a Sargent on my 93 K1100RS.

I have not tried the v.2 BMW seat. No help to you there.

I have the Sargent rear cover but have not installed it yet. I will wait for a 100 degree day!

The seat heater works OK for me. I do not use the cheap Radio Shack connectors.

Good company to deal with!!!

Hope this helps.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sargent Saddle

After trying to keep the stock seat, a ride from Ft. Lauderdale to my home in NC proved to be painful . . . no kidding. I was hurting before I got into SC. I ordered my new saddle from Sargent as I had tried a Corbin during Daytona Bike Week. I've had several Corbins on other machines and like them but my wife doesn't.

My first trip with the Sargent saddle was from NC to CA on a month long trip. About half way across Texas, the new saddle "broke in" and we've been friends since then. I now have over 34,000 on the saddle. I just got back from another west coast ride, doing well over 8,000 miles in 29 days. There were several 600-700 mile days and the saddle performed well. It's a keeper.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info gentlemen, thanks!

Norris and Hazard you mentioned cheap radio shack / hokey connectors? :confused: Looks like on their web site that they supply a different size / version that I would need to cut and crimp onto the existing wire. No problem really. Are you saying they don't work well? Did you use a different solution?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Robert_W said:
Norris and Hazard you mentioned cheap radio shack / hokey connectors? :confused: Looks like on their web site that they supply a different size / version that I would need to cut and crimp onto the existing wire. No problem really. Are you saying they don't work well? Did you use a different solution?
Check post #9 in this thread for the BMW part # for a connector cable that mates to the factory seat plug.

Or you could try and find one on eBay. :rotf:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sargents uses the Molex type connectors and I've used them on other motorcycles. They work fine. I did, however, cut the BMW connector off of the stock seat and, with a little flux and solder, I was in business in no time.

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Robert_W, if you're interested I have the Sargent world sport seat for the front, bought it before they had released the rear seat. It didn't work for me and I am planning on selling it. If you are interested in it let me know. It is heated but I never changed out the plug to hook it up. I am thinking $250 plus shipping.

Steve

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Meese said:
Check post #9 in this thread for the BMW part # for a connector cable that mates to the factory seat plug.

Or you could try and find one on eBay. :rotf:
Oh you're on a roll today huh!? Thanks though....I think.

But here's a great case for your proprietary rights run a muck. (Not that I don't believe in them it's that some times it's just plain stupid.) I mean come on.....it's 2 pieces of plastic pigtails that apparently Tyco made. Then they license their use to BMW, but no body else? PPPPAAALLLEEEAAASSSEEE. WTF. It's two pieces of plastic! And because one company trade marks, or patents something as inane and daft as an angle 2 degrees different on a pigtail adapter.......it's got to be a better idea than if they hadn't.....then it trickles right down the line to either make it a pain in the ass for some one to work around it, or very expensive to buy. $20 for an adapter that contains 20 cents worth of parts? No wonder guys were going to radio shack!

Believe it or not I found the seats.....not heated.....for about $200 less than Sargents site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Sargent-Seat-BMW-K1200GT-K1200-1200GT-06-Slvr-STD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ35612QQihZ006QQitemZ160204151766QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Which just goes to show you that there's the normal 40-50% mark up cause that guy isn't going to give away $$$.

If I buy one I'll probably ride it for a bit and if I like it I'll solder the old connector onto the new seat. I looked at a PDF I found on the Sargent site and it seems pretty straight forward. It's just two wires and no matter what if I want heated with these seats something has to get cut.

sep999.....appreciate the offer but I think there were some changes made back when they had the single seats only, to accommodate for BMW's change on models after Dec 06 production. Which mine is. Besides, if I don't like it I want the option to send it back to them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What is an R1200GT

Robert_W said:
Believe it or not I found the seats.....not heated.....for about $200 less than Sargents site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Sargent-Seat-BMW-K1200GT-K1200-1200GT-06-Slvr-STD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ35612QQihZ006QQitemZ160204151766QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Which just goes to show you that there's the normal 40-50% mark up cause that guy isn't going to give away $$$.

Wow, that's quite a price. Read the description. Looks like it fits the 06-08 K-GT along with the R1200GT (whatever that is)!
Shipping can kill you from Hawaii! I wonder why he does't like the Dutch!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ncooper said:
Wow, that's quite a price. Read the description. Looks like it fits the 06-08 K-GT along with the R1200GT (whatever that is)!
Shipping can kill you from Hawaii! I wonder why he does't like the Dutch!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Well I think the "R" was just a typo. But it says it's in Page AZ. Where did you get Hawaii? And I'll bite.....what about the Dutch am I not getting? :confused:

Besides, I was more trying to find a pigtail adapter for the seat just to busts Meeses' chops. However in this case I would rather pay full price to Sargent and get the heated seats and warranty.

Did you read that Ken?! This is a monumental event! I would rather pay full price to the manufacturer! Will wonders never cease? :cool: :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry, Page is not in Hawaii. GO FOR IT

Robert_W said:
Well I think the "R" was just a typo. But it says it's in Page AZ. Where did you get Hawaii? And I'll bite.....what about the Dutch am I not getting? :confused:

Besides, I was more trying to find a pigtail adapter for the seat just to busts Meeses' chops. However in this case I would rather pay full price to Sargent and get the heated seats and warranty.

Did you read that Ken?! This is a monumental event! I would rather pay full price to the manufacturer! Will wonders never cease? :cool: :)
Sorry, MY MISTAKE.
Looking at the header in the description and email address HONU HAWAII. [email protected]

Under shipping:
Will not ship to the Netherlands.
(why not, they need seats too)

We will work with all of our international customers to help lower taxes, duty, and/or VAT.
(this also means cheat)

Good enough feedback. Probably a legitimate deal.

You don't need no stinking heated seat. Just wipe that 8 inches of snow off your seat!
Really----I hardly ever use mine! Grips, yes, Gerbings, yes!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ncooper said:
Sorry, MY MISTAKE.
Looking at the header in the description and email address HONU HAWAII. [email protected]

Under shipping:
Will not ship to the Netherlands.
(why not, they need seats too)

We will work with all of our international customers to help lower taxes, duty, and/or VAT.
(this also means cheat)

Good enough feedback. Probably a legitimate deal.

You don't need no stinking heated seat. Just wipe that 8 inches of snow off your seat!
Really----I hardly ever use mine! Grips, yes, Gerbings, yes!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Oops...missed the Hawaii and Netherlands stuff.

And I agree on the seats. Grips yes, vest yes. However, there have been a few occasions when a heated seat was well worth the $$$. There's a lot to be said about not being miserable when you're a ways away from home. Even if it only happens a few times a year. And for that 1 time a year when it's cold enough AND my wife is on the back......well lets just say she has already found out how much she likes to have a heated seat. Replacing them now without would not be a good idea! ;)

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Robert_W said:
But here's a great case for your proprietary rights run a muck. (Not that I don't believe in them it's that some times it's just plain stupid.) I mean come on.....it's 2 pieces of plastic pigtails that apparently Tyco made. Then they license their use to BMW, but no body else? PPPPAAALLLEEEAAASSSEEE. WTF.
Agreed. It's just stupid, but unfortunately not unusual.

When J&M was making the factory intercoms for the LT, they had some sort of licensing agreement in place. So you could buy a full headset from J&M for less than BMW's markup, but you had to buy the lower connection cord from BMW, even though J&M supplied them to BMW.

Then BMW came out with a whole new intercom the next year, so it's gotten very difficult to find their proprietary cords for a system that's now obsolete.

Capitalism does have it's advantages, but eventually we all pay the price.

Let us know how you like the seats. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad from someone who has bought them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mikec said:
Sargents uses the Molex type connectors and I've used them on other motorcycles. They work fine. I did, however, cut the BMW connector off of the stock seat and, with a little flux and solder, I was in business in no time.

Mike
My Sargent seats just shipped, and I'm very confused about this whole adaptor issue.

I don't want to cut the BMW wiring per Sargent instructions, but I must confess to being a techno/electrical moron. There was mention made of a Tyco adaptor? If there is, does anyone have a link. It's worth the $20, if I can avoid having to cut and splice wires.

Thanks.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
stefeb said:
There was mention made of a Tyco adaptor? If there is, does anyone have a link. It's worth the $20, if I can avoid having to cut and splice wires.
See post #7 above for the link.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Meese said:
See post #7 above for the link.
Thanks Ken. Now I really feel stupid. I'm the one that updated the part number, and do in fact, have that part.

Here's where I get stuck...One end has a plastic adaptor, coming away from the adaptor is black wire and a red wire, with the ends exposed. What do I do with those exposed ends (please be kind)?.

Do I:
1. Cut the connector of the Sargent seat and splice the red and black wire to the now exposed Sargent wiring, and cover the whole thing with electrical tape.
2. Leave the Sargent connector in place, and crimp the pins onto the red and black wires, and plug those into the Sargent connector.

I'm sure the answer is very simple, but I'm having a heck of a time visualizing how this is supposed to work.

BTW - I got both connectors for $12/each. From Morton's BMW via the web.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's what I did on my Sargent saddle:

1. Remove the stock seat and unhook the wiring.
2. On the stock seat, cut the OEM connector plug, leaving three for four inches of wire attached.
3. On the new Sargent saddle, cut the plug off.
4. If you are comfortable soldering, simply solder the OEM plug to the Sargent's wiring. I use shrink wrap (available at Lowe's or Home Depot) to insulate each wire and a larger shrink wrap tube to cover both wires.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
mikec said:
Here's what I did on my Sargent saddle:

1. Remove the stock seat and unhook the wiring.
2. On the stock seat, cut the OEM connector plug, leaving three for four inches of wire attached.
3. On the new Sargent saddle, cut the plug off.
4. If you are comfortable soldering, simply solder the OEM plug to the Sargent's wiring. I use shrink wrap (available at Lowe's or Home Depot) to insulate each wire and a larger shrink wrap tube to cover both wires.

Good luck.

Mike
Thanks Mike for a great explanation. I've never soldered before, but after looking at a couple videos on YouTube, I think I can handle it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts