BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the GT to 132 today. Only the 2nd time into 3 digits on this bike. I am not sure what it is with this bike, but it gets more and more stable the harder you push it. I really felt like there was nothing short of a ramp that was going to upset the bike. On the way back down to sane speeds (I think I was at ~95 mph), I did pass two cement trucks coming at me in the other lane that gave me a little wind head shake, but nothing to wad my undies up about.

This bike is way more fun and confidence inspiring than my 916 was. Plus it doesn't want to fall over below 30 mph.

Brian

·
Registered
96 Posts
what configuration ?

I see on your avitar that you have the rear case in addition to the side bags. Were you riding this speed with the rear case on the bike? If you were, that's great to hear that the bags don't introduce a high speed wobble (as commonly reported on the Honda ST1300 with all three bags installed.)

Have you ridden with all of the bags removed? Is there any noticable difference?

Cheers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clickr said:
I see on your avitar that you have the rear case in addition to the side bags. Were you riding this speed with the rear case on the bike? If you were, that's great to hear that the bags don't introduce a high speed wobble (as commonly reported on the Honda ST1300 with all three bags installed.)

Have you ridden with all of the bags removed? Is there any noticable difference?

Cheers.
I did the ride without the top case, but the side bags were attached. I did not notice any wobble. I should note that I also had a +4+2 Cee Bailey on as well.

Brian

·
Registered
96 Posts
good info to know

THanks, I am becomming a BMW convert from my search for my next (and Last) bike i buy. Having had five bikes over the years I am getting tired of paying the tax man each time and then wishing I had bought something else.

Even though there are more $'s going K1200GT than ST - (not bashing Honda)

GT - not even a hint of high speed wobble from anyone - Honda - none to very evident
GT - cruise, heated stuff, Honda - extras (not even dealer installed) - success would depend on the quality of the workmanship.
GT - six speed - Honda - still 5 (80+ is too many rpm's in my book for cruising).
GT - electronic or manyal rear shock and dampening adjustment - reported to be excellent. Honda - riders bitch all the time there is not enough travel or dampening and replace the rear shocks (especially loaded down).
GT - permenantly sealed rear end (what does permenantly really mean?) but Honda = shaft splines have to be lubed on each oil change (as reported by members who don't want failures on a trip).

Farkles - it seems Honda has this beat - longer lived design - older technology. BMW - Canbus - don't know a thing about it. MoDiTec ? would be nice if average Joe could buy the interface and the software (at a reasonable cost) and do their own diagnostics.

As I said, the more I read about both the ST1300 and the '06/'07 K1200GT my indecision is being changed to "Yes - BMW" for my next ride.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
clickr said:
As I said, the more I read about both the ST1300 and the '06/'07 K1200GT my indecision is being changed to "Yes - BMW" for my next ride.
And what BMW owner could argue with that post? ;)

Did another 400-mile ride yesterday. (Was only supposed to be about 120, but . . . well . . . you know. That GT just wouldn't go HOME! :( ) Other than the seat, I have nothing to complain about. (Not that 400 miles was too bad. But 800 miles/day on that seat is another story.) High-speed wobble = ZERO. I can type that with all of the confidence in the world. From 1mph to 151mph, it's the most stable bike I've owned. Well, I guess my ZX-11 was just as stable.

FWIW, I've owned 7 Hondas, so I'm not a Honda basher by any means. But once you buy a BMW, it's tough not to keep owning them. So long as you don't have a crappy dealer, or buy a lemon. And...unfortunately, those things happen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

Seen just under 155mph on the clock this morning from the GT. I am 220 lbs with kit and I use ESA setting single + luggage. As this is my first BMW I am still struggling with the real twisty roads as I still cannot get any feeling from the front end. My problem now is I am now expected the front never to wash-out. I am just getting too confident with the bike as I scraped the right hand peg, and when I look at the front trye there is no chicken strip at all. Anyway I am off to france tomorrow for two weeks with my good-lady wife and will be using the bike as it was designed, long distance touring. But I have to say the fun I had with the GT this morning was fantastic. I am still missed my ZX10R but not as much after my first 200 miles of my own. Really smiling folks and thank you for all the good advice posted on this forum. Good luck, what a bike. Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
High speed wobble

I am experiencing a wobble around 85-100MPH. I have new Metzler Z6 tires properly inflated. Any idea's on cause. Under hard acceleration it is gone, only apparent when cruising.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had the same wobble yesterday behind semi trailers. Not sure if the box on the back is making the bike react that way or if the suck ass stock windshield is doing it. I put the bike in 2up / normal mode and it seem to make the bike stiffer so that some of the wobble was reduced.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
clickr said:

Cheers.
I have gone both naked and with all three bags and honestly can't tell as much of a difference from the bags as I can from the windshield. If I'm in the wash of a semi, and I put the shield up and can feel it much more than wit the windshield down.

As for the bags, no real effect that I can tell, either way. I've had it up to 139 (GPS) with all three and it rock solid.

·
Registered
457 Posts
GPS verified 142 one up with bags but no top case. Starting feeling a little light on the front end but it could have been due to a dip in the road too. At 2.4 miles a minute it's hard to tell. :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
142 here. All three bags. Rock solid. I think it may even be more solid with the side cases on than not.

This was not a brief visit to this speed, but maintained for well over 10 miles. (I know big deal.) It was certainly capable of more, but I was a wee bit nervous of the horned rats in the neighbourhood and my riding buddy was not keeping up very well. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
I took mine to 149 (GPS) with all 3 bags installed. Not an issue at all.
i have been very close to that as well (143/gps).....
with all three bag (49L topcase like you, joe)
no wobble at all
but.... it does make me a bit "concerned" about THAT kind of wind resistance with the topcase, honestly

·
Registered
68 Posts
John06KGT said:
So while we're on this subject, who gets the honors for posting max speed without a hefty fine, jail time or both? :rotf:
only on the GT?
or will my MV count.....
where the naked aspect of the bike will make 155 MUCH MORE "INTERESTING?"

·
Registered
68 Posts
John06KGT said:
No cheating. I have a Ducati ST4s too but let's be fair. New KGT's only! ;)
of course
now.....
that means there has to be some kind of VIDEO/STILL capture of that speed.... ONLY on the GPS since the speedo is a bit OPTIMISTIC, of course

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are all irresponsible and crazy. I started this thread saying that I achieved 132 mph. Anything higher than that is foolhardy and dangerous and you should be ashamed.

It is this type of gross reckless behavior that gives motorcyclists a bad name.

Actually I am only saying this because I don't have the cajones to take it higher than I have. I only pretend to be Freddie Spencer in the safety of < 130 mph.

Brian

1 - 20 of 29 Posts