BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sbk

Yep,
Riding over from Kalgoorlie with 2 mates.
Grandstand box for 3 days then riding back again.
6000k's in 5 days-good for bike.
See you there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
kalboy53 said:
Yep,
Riding over from Kalgoorlie with 2 mates.
Grandstand box for 3 days then riding back again.
6000k's in 5 days-good for bike.
See you there.
Kalboy,

Are you still going east on the GT? Is it fixed OK?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, all OK.
No return of gremlins (thank Christ!).
Was tossing up between taking the ST or K but am happy with K now.
Will soon find out anyway.
Only issue now is the seat-I've got a feeling my arse will feel like someone from the Mardi Gras by the time I get there but I may order Sargent when I get back. Will see.
Otherwise all good.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I ordered a Sargent seat for mine a couple of weeks ago. My butt canes after 200km so I decided to try a Sargent. I am 54 so maybe I am not as resilient as I once was. I will let you know what it is like if I ever get it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bob,
I'm with you on standard seat. I've ground off about 1/2 inch on rear rubber stops of seat and that has evened it up slightly, but the seat seems to want to push me forward all the time. Anyway, will see how it goes.
Have Sargents on all the others and they suit me fine.
Haven't tried Corbins for years now so can't comment on them.
For the price of the bike the std seat is ordinary, but may suit some people.
The new Sargent (with heat) is bloody dear in Oz. I was quoted around $1300.
Our models only take the f & r as a unit ( as you've probably found out).
Did you get yours from AMC?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes I've ordered it through AMC, which I only found by accident when I was searching for Sargent to see if there were any tests on the web. I had seen Sargent seats on their web page over the last couple of years, of course, and I was waiting for the rear seat before I decided to buy it.

I think it is costing just over $1000 for the two heated seats, but I am not sure of the exact cost at this moment.

Sorry to you other guys for slightly hijacking the thread!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kalboy,
I too have had the brake pad warning light come up after only 6500kms ,and the seat is also uncomfortable after 3-400 kms and worst for the wife, i am also from Kalgoorlie (havent seen you about) so mabe catch up some time , are you going over to the motogp ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got my Sargent seats a few weeks ago but I am not yet happy with them. They are much harder than the BMW seats and feel lumpy in the wrong places to me. Because they are the old shape there is less room for the rider on the front seat and I would like another inch or so extra length as in the later BMW seat. The rear Sargent seat is way better than the standard torture device but the jury is still out on the riders seat.

Both seats are significantly wider than the standard seats but you still seem to have most of the pressure on the two pressure points in your butt so my butt was aching just as much as the stock seat after 200km. I am still experimenting with the best riding position and will keep them on because riders seat is not any worse than the stock seat overall and the pillion seat is much better.

I will let you know more after some more time on the seat and some longer rides than I have been doing recently to see if I adjust to the seat. They certainly look good and are OK but not really significantly better than the stock seat after a couple of weeks of use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gp

Yes, am going over with mate (he has K1200 earlier model). 2 and a half days from Kal.
I just tried an Airhawk seat pad thingy and it seems OK. Will try it for the GP.
Just had airbox mod completed with software update and all seems OK-bike runs well (touch wood).
If bike has any more issues then that's it for me-BMW can have it back.
I've had the hat trick of issues -EWS, brake sensor and airbox. Would never be allowed to happen on a Honda. Still love the concept of the bike but my 1200 Adv just starts and goes without any fuss. Wish this one would! I think BMW released it too early without enough R & D on 3rd party components.
Anyway, enough grizzling. I'm looking forward to the ride and I'm sure the bike will perform well after all the fixes.
BMW have been good regarding warranty-no arguments, just the time delays in waiting for parts etc.
I've just knocked up 10,000 k's, but have only had it available to ride for 2 months of the 5 months since purchase due to warranty issues/parts availability.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Kalboy,

Why not ride it while waiting for parts? Nothing you have had makes it unridable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nothing except a small matter of EWS not letting bike start.
Also airbox issues pisses me off every time you slow down to fuel up and engine refuses to idle down.
True, this one isn't a complete show stopper, but I can't be bothered with bikes that don't run properly. However, it's fixed now.
Luckily I have my 1200 GS or ST 1300 neither of which display any faults so why bother riding something that annoys you?
I feel sorry for the poor bugger that only has this as "the bike" and needed it all the time.
Anyway, I don't feel a bike giving warranty issues should have to be ridden until fixed, especially issues with brakes and EWS, which could leave you stranded.
I chose to ride through the brake warning light(s) but I'm sure there's riders out there who wouldn't.
I didn't have a choice with the EWS as I tried all remedies on this site (excellent tech support) without luck. Dead as a dodo.
But I just returned from a sustained high speed run and she does everything as she should, so all may be well. Touch wood!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Kalboy,

I knew the EWS fault would keep you off the road but didn't think anything else would. You are lucky you have the luxury of several bikes. My high idle was out of control for over 10,000km before BMW thought up the solution and even that didn't work until I recently installed V11 of the software. At least you are in the country. I ride to work every day in the city and it used to hang every time I slowed down or rode in heavy traffic, which is half the distance to work every day. It was annoying and frustrating but not enough to keep me off my $27000 bike! In my case, I haven't had anything that stopped the bike but the high idle certainly didn't enhance the ridability on my daily commute.

I did over 40,000 km of pretty trouble free riding in two years on the Kawasaki and that had done over 200,000km when I bought it for $3000. There was nothing that ever kept me off the road, just a few bits that broke due to age and needed replacing. I sold it to a guy down the road over a year ago and he is still riding to work on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bob D

I agree with you Bob, I still rode mine with the BBS stuff for 6000k's, but it really annoyed me with the high idle, the rough feedback whilst just on the throttle etc etc.
I really fell for people who are in the same predicament but rely on the bike as their sole means of transport.
I've been lucky to own a lot of bikes and have clocked up a lot of k's on them, but in my experience the jappers just don't generally give a lot of grief, especially in the last 10-15 years. I still BMW released this fantastically thought out bike without really testing the components in all conditions. To me, it was probably just a rushed effort. But to still have owners having the same issues as 2 years ago at launch is pretty poor.
It isn't doing their reputation any good at all.
I hope yours (and mine) have all the issues sorted now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts