BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding this past weekend I ran into some problems with my clearance. I thought my clearance was decent, but I was wrong. My ohlins came in on friday, but I didn't want to worry about dialing in all the settings. Oh well... I priced out a new shift lever - $80. I was assuming $40, oh well!!! Do you think wrapping the shifter with electrical tape is ghetto? Until I find a used part I'm going with the tape.

Has anyone had this problem?

ONON
Mark

PS - these new shocks are excellent, fantastic, incredible, holy hellfire!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I rode about 3000 miles with the rubber completely stripped off the shifter, and with the metal ground down to a nub. So I don't think it's ghetto, but I will say that when I finally got around to replacing the shift lever, it made for much more positive shifts.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Mark,

Start off with the suggested stock setting on the Ohlins. From there they should only require minor tweaking.

Did you play with the length? Making the rear shock as long as possible will both slightly quicken the steering and buy a little extra ground clearance - both are good things. As a side benefit it's also easier to lift the bike onto the centerstand.

On K Rapido I put the bike on the centerstand and kept lengthening the rear shock until the rear tire made ground contact, then shortened it a bit to facilitate wheel removal.

No major change in handling or ground clearance, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pathogen7 said:
I priced out a new shift lever - $80. I was assuming $40, oh well!!!
Mark,

I did a hell of a grind job on mine at the Deal's Gap Rally this year also... the bike actually shifted gears in the one turn which was not the best feeling.

I had not yet checked on the replacement cost, but are you telling me that the entire linkage arm is $80 or simply the little L shaped piece that you've ground down? What is the part number? I have a contact that can typically get me parts at a discount better than Chicago BMW.

Matt

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shift foot lever grindage

02k12rs said:
Mark,

I had not yet checked on the replacement cost, but are you telling me that the entire linkage arm is $80 or simply the little L shaped piece that you've ground down? What is the part number? I have a contact that can typically get me parts at a discount better than Chicago BMW.

Matt
I have also noticed on my way to work this morning the bike is much more difficult to shift down, although upshift is the same. I wonder if there are other parts that are bent. I haven't taken a really close look yet. Any ideas, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

The tiny L-shaped piece is $80. The entire shifting unit is about $220. I'm calling some of the used/salage companies to see if I can get one used.
BMW Part#: 23 41 7 654 519

1 - 5 of 5 Posts