BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group,

Just for verification, do all year K1200RS/GT seats 1998 -2004 seats fit all models? Is there any differences in the seat pans?

ALso how does everyone rate the after market seats? which do you like better, Russell, Mayer, Sargent, or? Choice based on function, fit, and your experience.

Does anyone have a seat pan for sale?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I believe the pan is the same on all years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
My wife is very happy with the Sargent seat on her 03RS. I hear the GT seat is much more comfortably then the RS seat.
It's still a guessing game, as what works for one rider will not work for the next.
Debbie got her seat used, the seller did not like it, but Debbie loves it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
sargent seat

i got the sargent seat, after cutting my stock seat up so bad i destroyed it trying to get it comfortable......i love the sargent seat, it had a nice wide pan for my butt, and i rode from my home in tampa over to jacksonville and had the people at sargent cut it a bit to make it sit more front to back so it didnt feel i was being pitched over the bars. old joke. line up 10 motorcycle engineers, put a board in all their butts. go by, hit each board one at a time, the engineer that smiles will be the bmw engineer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a pan 60.00 including shipping

bought it for a mayer and decided not to do it

(continental US)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I got a Sargent seat on my '04 KRS (from www.partmonster.com, about $100 cheaper). Huge inprovement over the stock seat. I got butt burn on the stock seat after 300mi., with the Sargent I went 975mi. with no real discomfort. I would like to try a GT heated seat though.
Answers on seats and seat comfort seem to be a real crap shoot. And an expensive one at that.
Bruce C

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Bill Mayer seat, but the best ones I've seen are the Sargent and the BMW GT seat. I would get a Sargent if I had a do-over.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
GT Seat with.....Heat....Oh Yea

The GT seat and Heat, makes me smile.....mile after mile.

When its cold enough to freeze the horns off a Billy Goat, Hit the switch.........

·
Registered
408 Posts
GT Seat

I have a Russell Seat and it is heaven. I am currently getting it refitted with duel heat and a driver backrest. I had been using my stock GT seat in the winter as it is heated, but I missed the Russell seat so now I will have the best of both when I get it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Mayer seat with extra foam (and heat) on my GT. Toasty and comfortable, but slick.

Also have a Corbin (an extra from the guy that sold me the bike). Poor workmanship IMHO. Didn't even come with a bracket and had to shim it about 1/2" to make the bracket engage the latch. Weighs a ton, too. Has no heat, is contoured. I don't slip around on it. It is pretty firm, but not uncomfortable.

If I was going to buy another seat, I'd go with Sargent.

·
Registered
377 Posts
jtull01 said:
How does everyone rate their aftermarket seats? which do you like better, Russell, Mayer, Sargent, or? Choice based on function, fit, and your experience.

Does anyone have a seat pan for sale?
I have a Sargent and a Mayer for my 2002 KRS. I bought the Sargent new. Good thing with their seat is that you don't have to worry about having a pan, or sending your seat over for a week or two, as they provide a new one with their seat. That means you can sell your original Tootsie Roll shaped stock seat, AND, its got a lot larger storage compartment underneath than the stock seat does. Excellent quality work on the Sargent.

I bought the Mayer used and like its bowl-shaped butt depression. It's not a miracle worker, but I use it most often on longer road trips.

No heat on either seat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
tfkelly said:
Who is doing the heat upgrade, how much do you expect the cost to be?
Do you have the wiring - i.e. the button ? and only need the heated seat ? - then it's ~250 USD and 15 min of work (plug and play).

If you don't have the wiring - it much more expensive (i.e.not worth it)

/Michael

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pictures of custom seats

Thanks for all of your replies.

How about posting some photos of your "K12RS/GT" seats?
I am interested in the Russell seat, do to it's acclaimed excellence in comfort and craftsmanship, for the long run. I am a bit concerned for styling, as the Russell, at least for the pictures posted on their web site, and the one from a responder to this thread, seams a bit visually challenged. Please post as many different angles and distances as possible, so I can get a good feel, no pun intended, on how the Russell will look on a K12RS/GT.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seat

I've got a Sargent and am very happy with it. I have a ball of calcium on my pelvic bone from a previous injury, so I can appreciate a good seat.

I have done 13 hour days on the seat without a problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's for my GT, so the wiring is there. 250 US seems expensive though. Do you kno wif it is just as expensive if you order the seat heated?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a Corbin, love it it's a little harder, never tried the Sargent. I didn't like the comfort seat on the KLT.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have Corbin on my '98 which I had modified (by Corbin) to bring me a couple inches closer to the bars and give my wife more room in the back. It's been on the bike for over 150,000 miles and shows virtually no wear. It is very comfortable for both of us.

Ken

·
Registered
486 Posts
The EOM seat onthe K-GT started to bother me around 200 miles. So I bought a Sargent. Same thing. The Sargent started bothering me around 200 miles. I sold the Sargent and bought a used Corbin. The Corbin was and is great. I've done 1500+ miles on the Corin with no problems.

No one seat will be the answer for everyone. What is good for some, may not me so good for me. The Sargent proved that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts