BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Dude...probably THE most covered topic here. Search is your friend. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a low Sargent Seat set, black for sale. I live in Rockford, MI
If you would like to come and try it for a ride, PM me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is going to be a group buy of the Russell seat in November. At this point they are oversubscribed, but you might want to watch the thread here on this board to see if a spot opens up. There will be a discount and the seats are supposed to be some of the most comfortable around, but with an unconventional appearance. May be worth looking into. Good Luck. I have the Sargent seat and it is an improvement over stock for me. I am going to get a Russell though.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
Rick Mayer saddles rock. I've had one on the last 6 bikes I've owned and wouldn't think of riding without one.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
ditto on the Rich Mayer. I moved mine from my 2006 1200GT to the 2009 1300GT. Love it and no more sore butt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I faced the same dilemma on my '07. What seat should compliment all of the technological advancements this bike has to offer?? The stock seat just didn't cut it. Sure, it looked okay but that's as far as it went. Plenty of aftermarket companies out there making high quality products which offer an increase in comfort, but leather is not an ideal material for motorcycle seats in this day and age. It gets hot, it's not waterproof, and it does not breathe well. I chose to go with the polar mesh by Kontour and all I can say is, "Wow!!" Not only does the upgraded foam underneath offer a very noticeable reduction in vibrations through your rear end, but this polar mesh material simply outperforms leather by leaps and bounds. They were kind enough to remove enough material to lower the seat about an inch (I'm still not even close to putting both feet flat on the ground.)

·
What, we're out of glue??
88 Posts
olsaltybastard said:
I faced the same dilemma on my '07. What seat should compliment all of the technological advancements this bike has to offer?? The stock seat just didn't cut it. Sure, it looked okay but that's as far as it went. Plenty of aftermarket companies out there making high quality products which offer an increase in comfort, but leather is not an ideal material for motorcycle seats in this day and age. It gets hot, it's not waterproof, and it does not breathe well. I chose to go with the polar mesh by Kontour and all I can say is, "Wow!!" Not only does the upgraded foam underneath offer a very noticeable reduction in vibrations through your rear end, but this polar mesh material simply outperforms leather by leaps and bounds. They were kind enough to remove enough material to lower the seat about an inch (I'm still not even close to putting both feet flat on the ground.)

Hey Brian - glad to hear it made your trip enjoyable - it always makes our day (REALLY) to get reports back like this, especially on a Friday. :sun:

What a way to end the week. Cuban ceegars, a slap on the back and a fresh, crisp Jackson for everyone in the shop. :2beers:

Thanks again for your business and vote of confidence in our design.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Another popular seat is from Bill "Rocky" Mayer, Rick's brother. I got one just before my Mexico-to-Canada (B2B) ride. The more I use it, the more I like it.

http://www.billmayersaddles.com/
I stopped at Rocky's and did the same thing on my way to SD to ride the 3 flags w son. While nothing is magic butt relief on 700+ mile days, I can say that I spent a heck of a lot less time squirming or standing than I ever have on my 07. The seat was almost as comfy that on as my son's stock strominator but was quite a bit faster.

This is the best mod I've done to the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Rocky" Mayer Saddle

I've a Bill Mayer saddle and matching black leather pillion (for the consistent look) I need to sell.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Best,

Vic

·
Registered
153 Posts
More seat questions

I am thinking of getting a second seat and keeping my original one. I was considering Sargent's, as they are relatively near me and I can ride the bike there and maybe try one out.

What do these guys (seat makers) do in regards to heated seats and the special BMW connectors required? Do they cut the connectors from your original seat, just not offer heated seats, get some parts from BMW, or what?

Being in Florida, I could probably live without it, but it can be nice when traveling (and we get a few cold days in Florida too!).

Might be interested in that Bill Mayer seat set, PM me with info (pics if you have them), or is it already in the classifieds somewhere?

The problem I have with some of the seats is that I like to move around the bike a bit, particularly on twisty roads, and many of the "touring" saddles I've seen have a "tractor seat" shape that would seem to make this difficult.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Kontour seat is air cooled, so the seat warmer doesn't work nearly as well as it would on a leather or the stock seat. On full high, I can certainly feel the warmth, so it still works. Since I do a majority of my riding in non-polar weather, the seat warmer doesn't get much use. There is no dishing on the seat, so you are free to sit any way you like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Test ride if possible. I did not and it cost me $500. Now I have a Russell Day Long and it is the BEST seat I have ever had on a bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
mathme said:
I just put KonTour on my KGT and it's an amazing difference. I like it better than my last Corbin.
I have the long pan upgrade to the stock seat and I have been happy with it for 30,000 miles. The foam now is starting to get too soft and is separating from the rear of the pan so I'm looking to up grade. Basically, Ive narrowed my choices to Kontour and Rick Mayer because the shape is similar to stock which is proven to work for me. My questions are: does the seat keep you from sliding foward toward the tank while still allowing enough movement to hang off when the riding gets "spirited"?
Thanks,
Wade Stoughton

·
Registered
22 Posts
:popcorn:
vic_lancing said:
I've a Bill Mayer saddle and matching black leather pillion (for the consistent look) I need to sell.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Best,

Vic
Hi Vic,
Is it heated and was it made on the long pan? Send pics and prices.
Thanks,
Wade

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bill Mayer Saddle

"Rocky" takes the original BMW saddle and converts it to his "tried but true" shape.

The one I have is designed so I can slide back and forth on it to some extent.

It's not a flat shape, like the BMW original, but I specifically wanted something I could move around on because of long (800 + mile) trips and got just that.

I am able to move forward on it, sit in the middle, the sweet spot, and slide back to the back of the saddle where the lip holds me in place.

Again, it's not like the original long board saddle, but I am able to slide back and forth enough for a position change.

It uses the original heating elements and BMW connectors so it's plug and play.

Just as an aside, other than the "You're in good hands" feel, there are two other things that I particularly like about these seats.

1. The look. For me, they are the smoothest looking saddles I've seen. Even the Harley bling oriented riders say, "Hey, nice saddle." The seams are on the edge rather than on the sides, the leather looks like it should be on a finely crafted wallet or hand bag. When you see it, you want to sit on it like a favorite chair.

2. The scent. When you approach the bike, it smells like the leather interior of a new car. It draws you to it.

Sorry for the digression but, both of these attributes are now important to me. I hadn't even thought about them when I sent the original seats off for the black leather rebuild so both were a bonus.

They're $450 plus shipping. New, they were in the $660 range.

Oh, they're 6 months old and look brand new, although I would expect them to continue to be that way for a long time because of the leather quality.

Please e-mail me directly if you're interested.

Best,

Vic

·
Registered
59 Posts
sto04045 said:
I have the long pan upgrade to the stock seat and I have been happy with it for 30,000 miles. The foam now is starting to get too soft and is separating from the rear of the pan so I'm looking to up grade. Basically, Ive narrowed my choices to Kontour and Rick Mayer because the shape is similar to stock which is proven to work for me. My questions are: does the seat keep you from sliding foward toward the tank while still allowing enough movement to hang off when the riding gets "spirited"?
Thanks,
Wade Stoughton

I slid around on the stock vinyl much more than on the polar mesh. I am always moving around while cornering and have no issues either with slipping or with grip; I'd call this neutral.

·
Registered
22 Posts
YYZED said:
Test ride if possible. I did not and it cost me $500. Now I have a Russell Day Long and it is the BEST seat I have ever had on a bike.
Hi Jim,
Are you refering to a Kontour that you did not test ride? What didn'y you like?
Wade

1 - 20 of 21 Posts