BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Kontour seats in cold weather? I live in Colorado and was thinking of buying a new seat for my GT and was seriously considering a Kontour. Grif has told me if you live in a cold climate it may not be a good choice. I have a heated seat on my 08 GT. I've owed Corbin and Bill Mayer saddles in the past and liked them both. I would like to replace the stock seat on my new GT. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Sorry about not getting back to your email. I'm in the middle of a project from hell that reminds me of my first marriage.

In the cold, the seat is like a brick. It will warm up and soften up, but won't get as warm as effectively as a regular seat. That's because the airflow thru the seat kind of counteracts the heater.

This isn't really a problem if you play in the cold (where the snowflake is flashing on the dash) once in awhile. I know if I'm heading up a mountain pass to fire the seat heater. Also, if you have blood like molasses you should be ok.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hard is fine but in anything less than about 70 deg's out here, I freeze my ass off with the Kontour.

That is of course, the whole idea.

I'm from MI, I'd say the kontour would work well in the high humitiy conditions there, better than this dry heat even (more sweatin in humidity).

I use a sheepskin a lot over the seat for said reason but in the nasty heat, can't beet it! even with something over it you still get air circulation under yer arse, chases the monkeys away :clap:

ps..no heated seat on my 06 K12S.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the time riding in Colorado for the season its not really all that cold. Only have left probably the months of Oct. & Nov. where the temps are pretty good. Last weekend up in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park I hit 45 degrees but that area will be closed within a month to any vehicles. From April through Nov. its all pretty good. I probably won't do much riding from Dec. through March except on occasion, weather permitting and even then when its sunny out the temps will usually be in the mid to upper 30's. Any other feedback from anyone about their overall likes and dislikes with their custom seats would be appreciated. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts