BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of selling my K100. I wanted the least hassle for me and keep the price down, so I decided to just list it as-is. It needs tires and if I was keeping it I would consider a fresh paint job. Drives and runs fine. I've maintained it pretty well.

My question is this - if you were buying, would you rather pay an extra 1000 or so for a safety checked bike or would you like to get the better deal and buy as-is?

Any thoughts ? ? :dunno:

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
bratwurstNrice said:
I'm in the process of selling my K100. I wanted the least hassle for me and keep the price down, so I decided to just list it as-is. It needs tires and if I was keeping it I would consider a fresh paint job. Drives and runs fine. I've maintained it pretty well.

My question is this - if you were buying, would you rather pay an extra 1000 or so for a safety checked bike or would you like to get the better deal and buy as-is?

Any thoughts ? ? :dunno:
Varies by buyer. Some people want something to ride, some don't mind doing a little work for a lower price.

·
Registered
153 Posts
me

"Varies by buyer." But this is not what he asked. He asked what YOU would prefer. Me, I'd prefer to buy the deal and fix to suit. Which would you rather?

·
Registered
172 Posts
BRAT: turn the question upside down: which would you rather do, spend a thou on a bike you are ready to sell, or sell as is? I'd say, sell as is. There is no guarantee you would recoup your money fixing the bike up...especially w/the used motorcycle market being as depressed as it is...
just my . $.02,
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Precisely why I asked - my preference is to just sell it. We're renovating our house and I don't want to deal with it. But I wanted the buyer's perspective from a few others. When I bought this bike, it was as-is and it didn't need a lot of work. For me I enjoyed checking it over and the task of getting it road ready. I would just as soon offer someone else the same opportunity at what I think is a good price. At this point anyone looking at an '88 k-bike wants an 88 k-bike right? 'Cause you could pick up an older rice burner for $1000 or less.

Frankly I don't think I could have afforded my bike at the time if it was in showroom condition. . .

Cheers and thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As is. If you put Bridgestones on it a Metzler guy might be turned off. You never recoup your investment. The exception would be a serious problem that mad it un-useable, but that doesn't seem to be the case with your K100.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I were selling a bike in today's market, I'd sell as-is. Keep any potential losses to the absolute minimum.
Houses are another story. That's more of a "what-if" scenario, and they all very from situation to situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts