BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep my 11/05 K1200r with 58Kkms now has a failed ABS.
When I turn the key to ON, the brake failure light flashes fast. The front brake still feels normal at the lever and I can hear the servo noise.
However, once underway all I have is the residual braking, which is similar in function to my R100RS. Ok for the R100RS but not enough for this bike.

So the current options I have are: I'm in Oz so postage adds time and cost.
1. sell it at a heavily reduced price.
2. remove the ABS module and join the hoses up, essentially bypassing the ABS. utoob this- LaNJjRGrQNo. No speedo though? The brakes reportedly work ok like this.
3. buy a second hand unit. Hard to find and no guarantee it won't be kaput in short time either.
4. repair existing unit)
a) Module Masters iABS (ABS III) BMW Motorcycle Rebuild Over $OZ1000 plus post both ways and there's a wait list. They tell me it'll be at least 2-3 months (North hemi spring)
b) repair by RH Electronics. They do them in the faterland. 899,00 € net, + VAT, packing and shipping
5. Replace with a second life kit. RH second life KIT now available | RH Electronics This option means no abs but also no future failure of the abs either. ~$OZ!!00 and diy work.

Are there any more options? Buying a new unit from BMW is not a viable option due to ~$OZ4500 cost and no guarantee it won't reoccur.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My '06 K1200S was doing the same thing for almost two years. It would blink really fast and usually I was able to restart and all was well. Turned out that the front master cylinder wasn't always releasing the brake pads causing the fault. Solution was a new front master cylinder at considerable expense.

Jim

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
Module masters is not fixing these and probably never will. Only the shop at RH fixes them and one in England. Is your speedometer down as well? If not maybe jumpering the hoses may bring things to some sort of normal. As mentioned above there are other possible problems that may need to be explored to be sure your unit is dead. Personally I'd go with the RH jumper kit and bring some life back to your old friend.

Reactions: boxerboy81

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A local place has sent one to MM pre Xmas. They're waiting to hear. Reportedly they have a wait list now?

Today the brakes spontaneously started working normally, albeit with the quick flash warning still on. That lasted about 5kms, but once I used the rear brake it was back to residual braking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My '06 K1200S was doing the same thing for almost two years. It would blink really fast and usually I was able to restart and all was well. Turned out that the front master cylinder wasn't always releasing the brake pads causing the fault. Solution was a new front master cylinder at considerable expense.

Jim
Interesting. Do you know what was wrong with the master cylinder? I'm wondering if there's something specifically wrong with the rear setup outside of the module, eg cable/mc/earthing?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Interesting. Do you know what was wrong with the master cylinder? I'm wondering if there's something specifically wrong with the rear setup outside of the module, eg cable/mc/earthing?
The piston wasn’t retracting all the time. Unfortunately there is no rebuild kit so a new and very expensive master assembly was the fix. All is well now!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I repaired mine myself - but i am into electronics.
My problem was just a connector contamination inside the housing.
It is a hassle to get them off though.
I am happy to help.
Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Steve.(y) What was the hassle? Removal or opening the unit? Dirty connectors, poor grounds, cable replacement I can do I expect? I have a bunch of CommEng mates too.

I repaired mine myself - but i am into electronics.
My problem was just a connector contamination inside the housing.
It is a hassle to get them off though.
I am happy to help.
Steve
A couple of days back the brakes felt normal for 17kms. The warning continued to flash at a fast rate though. It eventually returned to residual braking however.
Today, with ignition on, using the back brake, servo whine came on but didn't go off. Front lever felt like residual braking.
I'm still using the bike to commute but with a mindset that the brakes are residual only. Makes for cautious riding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim
Thanks Jim. The wheels still spin ok so I'm presuming that's not my issue. I'm hopeful it's a switch or sensor issue? Rear switch was crimped tight by a cable tie. Rear sensor seemed to be pulled tight too. Short of pulling them off and testing or replacing at cost I'm still in the dark.
Being January with people away, I'm taking it slowly, not too rushed to jump to a solution just yet.
Yesterday the servo whine wouldn't stop when the rear brake was released. No servo whine from the front brake.
Unsure how to interpret that? Something stuck?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Module masters is not fixing these and probably never will. Only the shop at RH fixes them and one in England. Is your speedometer down as well? If not maybe jumpering the hoses may bring things to some sort of normal. As mentioned above there are other possible problems that may need to be explored to be sure your unit is dead. Personally I'd go with the RH jumper kit and bring some life back to your old friend.
You might be correct in what you say re MM. This seems like an ongoing response.
Latest reply from Module Masters today..

We are heavily backlogged on these rebuilds, but are currently building new tooling to produce replacement parts faster. It would be spring time at the earliest before we could get to your module
Where is the place in the UK?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RH electronics full repair costs emailed to me yesterday.
the repair time for the abs unit RH Type AM01 is 10-15 workdays.

The repair costs for your device type AM01 is 899,00 € net, + VAT, packing and shipping.
In case the device is irreparable or not defect, we will charge you with a check fee of
35,00 € net, + VAT, packing and shipping.

If we should repair the device, please fill out the repair order and send it together with the device to us:
Steuergerät Reparatur | Fachbetrieb RH Electronics.
The repair time is approximately 2-5 workdays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts