BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Calling all 7.0 upgraders...

I'd have to say that I'm mixed about 7.0. The K1200XP — I mean GT — is much smoother and much more predictable — that's all positive. Riding through town has none of the jerking that was previously there. (In retrospect, it wasn't so bad if you puttered in second gear.) But I've experienced an unexpected downside of 7.0, and I'd like to know if others are experiencing it:

4800 rpm. Third gear, fourth gear, you decide. Coasting at a steady 60-or-so mph. Twist the throttle for more speed. The motorcycle either slows down, engine brakes, hesitates — I can't figure out exactly what's happening. It's a Bermuda Triangle. All I know is that I roll on the throttle, expecting to go faster, and momentarily I go slower. Then jolt faster. It doesn't happen every time, only when you are lulled into ultraconfidence by the smoothness of the acceleration and suddenly, that jerkiness. The common denominator — whenever it happens, I look down at the tach and it's always the same story: 4800 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? Maybe it's just me — my riding style, aggressive throttle, whatever. Or maybe it's completely normal and expected — a lag at the tipping point of acceleration. I just need to know from someone smarter than me.

And yes, I've reset the ECM since having the upgrade done by disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes plus, resulting in a reset clock and BC but no improvements otherwise.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
reset ----

I believe you have to connect the positive and negative cable together for over 1/2 hr to clear the adaptive memory....

Try that and see what happens.

Cheers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
diggitydogg said:
Calling all 7.0 upgraders...

I'd have to say that I'm mixed about 7.0. The K1200XP — I mean GT — is much smoother and much more predictable — that's all positive. Riding through town has none of the jerking that was previously there. (In retrospect, it wasn't so bad if you puttered in second gear.) But I've experienced an unexpected downside of 7.0, and I'd like to know if others are experiencing it:

4800 rpm. Third gear, fourth gear, you decide. Coasting at a steady 60-or-so mph. Twist the throttle for more speed. The motorcycle either slows down, engine brakes, hesitates — I can't figure out exactly what's happening. It's a Bermuda Triangle. All I know is that I roll on the throttle, expecting to go faster, and momentarily I go slower. Then jolt faster. It doesn't happen every time, only when you are lulled into ultraconfidence by the smoothness of the acceleration and suddenly, that jerkiness. The common denominator — whenever it happens, I look down at the tach and it's always the same story: 4800 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? Maybe it's just me — my riding style, aggressive throttle, whatever. Or maybe it's completely normal and expected — a lag at the tipping point of acceleration. I just need to know from someone smarter than me.

And yes, I've reset the ECM since having the upgrade done by disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes plus, resulting in a reset clock and BC but no improvements otherwise.

Thanks all.
Mine is the same as your's, the best way to describe it is an occasional hesitation.
I'd rather have the occasional hesitation than the jerky light switch throttle I had before.
Looks like an 8.0 might be next.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
billg said:
Mine is the same as your's, the best way to describe it is an occasional hesitation.
I'd rather have the occasional hesitation than the jerky light switch throttle I had before.
Not that we have a choice — apparently the upgrade is nonreversible.

Thanks BillG. Anyone else, or is it only GTs in New Jersey that are affected?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just did 800 miles and had several instances of the 'bucking throttle', no pun intended. It is sporadic which makes it frustrating. It seems to occur most often going downhill with the throttle constant or slightly closing. It can really make corners interesting, and sometimes unsafe.

I haven't had the update yet. My RT surged so bad I finally broke down after 6k miles and bought the Techlusion. My GT isn't nearly that bad...yet.

Check out the new issue of Motorcyclist, there's a tech article on custom tuning a Power commander. They got 8 HP and several ft lb of torque increases at 20% and 30 % throttle, right where you need it on the street. I'd trust the aftermarket before I'd trust the factory. Surging, what surging?

·
Registered
108 Posts
2wheeler said:
Just did 800 miles and had several instances of the 'bucking throttle', no pun intended. It is sporadic which makes it frustrating. It seems to occur most often going downhill with the throttle constant or slightly closing. It can really make corners interesting, and sometimes unsafe.

I haven't had the update yet. My RT surged so bad I finally broke down after 6k miles and bought the Techlusion. My GT isn't nearly that bad...yet.

Check out the new issue of Motorcyclist, there's a tech article on custom tuning a Power commander. They got 8 HP and several ft lb of torque increases at 20% and 30 % throttle, right where you need it on the street. I'd trust the aftermarket before I'd trust the factory. Surging, what surging?
This is exactly the behavior that the update cures. My bike is fine now, and running between 6000rpm and 10000 rpm it seems to have plenty of power :). Of course, you can never have too much power, so if you do go powercommander/Techlusion plenty of people will be VERY interested in the difference.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts