BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, while attending the HSTA Hill Country Rally, and riding FM 336 (those of you who have ridden the "3" roads west of Bandera will recall this north/south road as the one through open range with cattle guards) we were traveling maybe 70, and I was following another K12. When I hit the cattle guard, I received a jolt hard enough that my Big Mak tank bag was virtually in my lap. Fortunately this only severed as a warning for me to slow down, for now I discovered the bike was hard to steer.

I completed a turn and rolled to a stop, dismounted and made my inspection. My forks had compressed so hard and the jolt was so severe that it forced my rear mud guard to become tucked behind the belly pan, causing the forks to resist turning. We dropped the belly pan, pulled forward the mud guard and reattached the belly pan and were off. Very slight blemish of the impact to the wheel. No tire damage, at least from an external inspection.

Has anyone experienced anything like that?? Now you know it's possible.......

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
DallasKRSRider said:
Over the weekend, while attending the HSTA Hill Country Rally, and riding FM 336 (those of you who have ridden the "3" roads west of Bandera will recall this north/south road as the one through open range with cattle guards) we were traveling maybe 70, ................

Has anyone experienced anything like that?? Now you know it's possible.......
2003, same roads, riding with the Posse, speeds of a bit over your 70.... We hit one dip that took our breath away, and not in a good way. Oooooogh! Then we sped up. ;) The next dip was a few miles up. We hit so hard the centerstand bottomed, and this is a straightaway!! One the first dip I saw the RS turn her headlight around to see who was riding her. She was pretty sure it wasn't us. On that second dip the alarm went off. She didn't look around - just the alarm. Our RS was absolutely sure that some fool had stolen her, because we never rode her like that. :eek:

We can't wait to get back !!!! Might take it a bit slower on those dips and cattle guards, though. Glad your episode turned out OK, as did ours. Once I stopped and fished the alarm fob out of my pocket, that is. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was at the same rally. I ride a KRS and was going about the same speed, maybe a little faster, on the "3's." I didn't have the problem you had, but the jolt at the cattle guards was something that got my attention. I weigh about 230 and had the rear shock set two turns off maximum. The cattle guards seem to get worse every year. Still, the rally was fantastic. Great roads, great weather, and typical HSTA detail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts