BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just a quick question. My knowledge of this subject is zero.

1. How long do shaft drives last before needing replaced? What maintenance is required? I would assume your driving habits determine shaft drive life? (quick acceleration etc)

Thanks Ian

·
Registered
46 Posts
Given the average life of a bike in any one ownership (realistically), i wouldn't think it a question worth worrying about.

Most of us Beemer owners have no trouble at all.

Ben

·
Registered
68 Posts
the shops rarely LOOK at your shaft until after 100,000 Km = 62,500 miles
even then.... rarely do the splines have any wear at all... unless you've truly abused the bike

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
BenCM said:
Most of us Beemer owners have no trouble at all.
I would agree with that statement, but than I have to add one. Most Beemer owners have never owned a BMW with 150HP at the crank. On paper, the crankshaft shouldn't be a concern at all. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a U-joint flying apart every great once-in-awhile. I had one come apart on my Honda V65 Magna...and that had about 125RWHP.

Not to cause worry . . . just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
46 Posts
messenger13 said:
I would agree with that statement, but than I have to add one. Most Beemer owners have never owned a BMW with 150HP at the crank. On paper, the crankshaft shouldn't be a concern at all. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a U-joint flying apart every great once-in-awhile. I had one come apart on my Honda V65 Magna...and that had about 125RWHP.

Not to cause worry . . . just thinking out loud.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually it's not the horses I'd be concerned about but peak Torque through the shaft.
And I don't think the Torque figures are that much bigger than other fast beemers like the old GT and even one or two of the 1200 twins.

Really, no need to be worried.

Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts