BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my K1200GT died last March. Shop told me the block was cracked, so I decided to start tearing it apart and parting it out to keep other wonderful K1200GT's rolling. Turns out when I took it into the shop for service, I had them replace the CAM Chain, tensioner and guard. 83 miles on on the bike after the full service tuneup and the guard shattered into 50 pieces and started rattling around in the case and cracked the clutch case. Chain skipped and valves got all jacked up. Shops fault, or a bad BMW part, but either way it was too expensive to repair. I made parts available to those on the forum first, still have quite a few parts available. Easier to list what I don't have. Message me if you are looking for something.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED via a Private Message

Tires are almost new 500 Miles, on them, also have wheels, rotors, pipes, radiators, etc.

SOLD - Right Pannier, Aeroflow windshield, OEM windshield, Transmission, Clutch, Custom Russel Seats, Gas Cap.

The rest of the parts are pretty much available. I'll be listing them on e-bay soon but want to give my fellow forum riders first dibs, if you have been looking for something.

Bike was extremely well cared for, and had 55,000 miles, never laid down. Photos of the bike a few weeks before I tore it down. I can send you photos of specific parts if you need them. Most parts are priced at 1/3rd what BMW is asking for a new OEM part.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, haha, ha ha ha ha. Since when did BMW ever take responsibility for anything? My local shop certainly doesn't. I got the old, "That sucks, I guess its time to buy a new bike." form the dealer and BMW never bothered to respond. Frankly, its not worth the trouble to pursue it. It's my bike free and clear and I own the salvage rights. Just trying to get enough out of it to help pay a little towards the new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there - very sorry to hear of the demise of your K12gt.... Have had mine for abt 3yrs now, keep it for trips, can't imagine anything better for my usage. I've clocked up 30k kms now for a total of 110k kms. It's the 'SE' with cruise control, works great except for the 'resume / slow down' function; so interested in the lefthand switch block.....
Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gotta love BMW's..."it was perfectly reliable, right up until the engine exploded beyond repair!" Did you even consider a used engine from a wrecked bike? That's usually the most cost effective way to keep a bike on the road after the engine hand-grenades. Of course, a nice FJR 1300 could be even more cost effective!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I considered it, obviously. I was having a hard time finding a used engine I was confident in at the time. And after replacing the transmission and all of the other challenges I decided I'd rather get a new bike than invest 4,500 into the used engine and labor required to get this one repaired. The bike was only valued at $5,000 so after all the expense if I were to eventually sell it it would be a wash. Also, just didn't feel comfortable taking it on a long road trip again. Went for a new bike. Still miss it though. When it ran well, it was the best bike I ever owned. Considering buying a used on to keep in the garage for play time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I considered it, obviously. I was having a hard time finding a used engine I was confident in at the time. And after replacing the transmission and all of the other challenges I decided I'd rather get a new bike than invest 4,500 into the used engine and labor required to get this one repaired. The bike was only valued at $5,000 so after all the expense if I were to eventually sell it it would be a wash. Also, just didn't feel comfortable taking it on a long road trip again. Went for a new bike. Still miss it though. When it ran well, it was the best bike I ever owned. Considering buying a used on to keep in the garage for play time.
Well know that your bad luck was my good luck and yours will live on with your fairing on my 08 GT. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I still have the left hand combo switch set available, listed at $120 plus shipping. Shipping should be no more than $10-12 in the U.S. Send me a message if you are interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my K1200GT died last March. Shop told me the block was cracked, so I decided to start tearing it apart and parting it out to keep other wonderful K1200GT's rolling. Turns out when I took it into the shop for service, I had them replace the CAM Chain, tensioner and guard. 83 miles on on the bike after the full service tuneup and the guard shattered into 50 pieces and started rattling around in the case and cracked the clutch case. Chain skipped and valves got all jacked up. Shops fault, or a bad BMW part, but either way it was too expensive to repair. I made parts available to those on the forum first, still have quite a few parts available. Easier to list what I don't have. Message me if you are looking for something.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED via a Private Message

Tires are almost new 500 Miles, on them, also have wheels, rotors, pipes, radiators, etc.

SOLD - Right Pannier, Aeroflow windshield, OEM windshield, Transmission, Clutch, Custom Russel Seats, Gas Cap.

The rest of the parts are pretty much available. I'll be listing them on e-bay soon but want to give my fellow forum riders first dibs, if you have been looking for something.

Bike was extremely well cared for, and had 55,000 miles, never laid down. Photos of the bike a few weeks before I tore it down. I can send you photos of specific parts if you need them. Most parts are priced at 1/3rd what BMW is asking for a new OEM part.
I would be interested in the center stand.
Greg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Lem. Sorry I have been away for a while. The Custom Russel Seats were sold. I do have an original front seat remaining if you are interested, just PM me via kbikes messaging tool that way I get an email. The Aeroflow and the original windscreen are both sold.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What color did BMW call your bike? Always loved the GT in that color. There was one just like it in Pandora BMW in Chattanooga last week that was in as perfect condition as I'd ever seen...not a scratch anywhere, not even a scuff on the bags. Of course it was already sold. These slant-4 K bikes have depreciated down to the point that I'd be willing to take a chance on one. All the bugs should have been fixed by now, I'd think. (The cam chain issues, switch-gear issues, engine stalling issues etc. etc) They seem to be a real crap-shoot. Most run thousands of miles, others like yours, blow up like a two-wheeled hand grenade. Every owner says the same thing: when it's working properly, the best bike they've ever ridden. Of course, as you found out, keeping one "working properly" can require some very deep pockets on occasion!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lem,

I have a Z-Technik windshield, an original from seat and a top box painted the deep blue metallic available if you are in the Atlanta, GA area available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I will take the clutch and break fluid covers. I will take the small wind screen that sits under the large wind screen. And I will take the exhaust if it is BMW and depending on the asking price. Thank you. Call me seven seven two, 418-1417.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I will take the clutch and break fluid covers. I will take the small wind screen that sits under the large wind screen. And I will take the exhaust if it is BMW and depending on the asking price. Thank you. Call me seven seven two, 418-1417.
I will also take the rear tire mud guard, the fender extension.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Skilboy,
just send you a PM looking for the radiator. My mechanic just told me that mine is toast, very corroded toast.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts