BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 K1300R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some oil coming out from the bolts on the shift housing. Is there a seal that has to be replaced or something else (the sealant that goes around the cover instead of a gasket) needed to fix this problem? There isn't a lot coming out but it is noticeable and I'm OCD when it comes to my bike. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Font Auto part Parallel Automotive window part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2012 K1300R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. I'm planning on taking off the cover over the holidays to have a peak at the seal. Have to buy some BMW sealant before I put it back on as there isn't a gasket. Will keep you informed.

·
Registered
2012 K1300R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Found this on the eurokclub site:
Hi, during the process of my 18k service, I was contacted by the service co. and was advised that the same cover as yours was leaking.
A very common thing to happen on a k1300 engine - he said that he has done several. Cover is removed, cleaned up, new jointing compound applied and re installed. He is charging 1 hour labour.

And here is the sealant/jointing compound I found on eBay: BMW Liquid Gasket Sealant Dow Corning ( 99,86€ / 0.1 Litre) Temperature

·
Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,470 Posts

·
Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,470 Posts
Air head guys used to use Hylomar. I would use the yamaha product. It will dry but be soft, not a hard plastic.

·
Registered
2012 K1300R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, having listened to the wisdom of all the riders who commented, I've decided to go with Hylomar. My next question is regarding the instructions from the manual below which seem quite easy (it starts after the cover is removed, nothing special-take out bolts and take off):
Product Font Motor vehicle Parallel Technology

Font Rectangle Parallel Auto part Diagram

_so I remove screw #2, push the locking lever (#3) back or what looks like clockwise and insert a temporary screw (#4, later becomes #1) which holds the locking lever in place.
-put the cover back (after cleaning and applying the Hylomar) on and remove temporary screw #4 now #1 and replace it with original screw #2
*my question is won't the locking lever spring back once I take out temporary #4, thus defeating the purpose? Does it lock into place once the cover is replaced? I won't know until I take the cover off, but I want to be sure I can put it back on properly.
It sounds easy enough it's just the locking lever I'm not sure about. Does this sound straight forward or does anyone have any different ideas.
As always, I appreciate any and all help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 K1300R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ibrahim, try cleaning off the cover really well and see if the oil is leaking from the bolts or where the cover meets the body. My leaks were all/mostly from the bolt area and gravity eventually spread it down across the cover. I took out all the bolts, cleaned them, removing the old sealant, and resealed with Yamalube (it was most like the original) on the bolts. I'll have to wait till spring to see if it worked or not. Will keep you posted.

And the locking lever screw removal allows for it to stay in place. When you replace screw #2, it just acts like a plug.

·
Registered
2012 K1300R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: It wasn't the bolts where the oil was coming out. Took the cover off (pretty easy) and followed the instructions of the manual cleaning and reinstalling. On it's centre stand I can go through the gears with the key on (it's in my warm sun room taking the winter off) and it goes pretty easy until I shift up to 6, which is blank. I then move the back tire and try again and it shows 6th gear on the display. I can do this for most gears and if it doesn't show on the display I move the tire. I can't remember if this is normal or not. The noises sound the same except for the one gear that doesn't show up on the display. I can't test ride it until the 2 feet of snow melt.

Any comments/wisdom? Help?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.