BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Awk, I was able to grind my shifter really well on the end. The OEM replacement is ~$80, which I can understand - BMW! Anyway, are there any other alternatives that I could investigate? I just want to know my other options.

BMW Part#: 23417654519

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pathogen7 said:
Awk, I was able to grind my shifter really well on the end. The OEM replacement is ~$80, which I can understand - BMW! Anyway, are there any other alternatives that I could investigate? I just want to know my other options.
BMW Part#: 23417654519 ONON- Mark
A friend of mine with a GT ground away most of his toe shifter too. He didn't want to pay the high price of replacement so he used a bolt and a bunch of washers. Maybe if he used a spacer it would have looked a bit better. I think it cost him a couple bucks at the hardware store. Sure, I'd never do it that way but you asked for options so there you go :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
shifter

i used a dremel and ground both shifter and arm smooth. i then used a bit to recut the threads. i bought washers and a long stainless hexhead bolt. i tightened that badboy and i can now adjust my shifter 360 degrees.

·
Registered
796 Posts
a modification I made to mine shortened the throw of the shifter, not sure if that will buy you any extra clearance. Doesnt do anything for ya in regards to repairing the one ya got, but might save the next one!. Can you get someone to weld the old one up and do a little plastic surgury with a file and a spray can of black paint? heres the link to the mod i made. http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/s...Board=K1200RS&Number=95510&page=&view=&sb=&o=

·
Registered
264 Posts
The shift lever has two positions on it (that's how it appeared to me when I took it off). Make sure you have it in the highest position.

Also, when I was in Irv Seaver a couple of months ago a K-bike rider was looking at some alternative shifter that BMW had ordered for him. It seemed that it wasn't working for him for some reason and I thought maybe I could make aftermarket shift levers someday when I have more time and start my machining business. Anyway, you might call the parts guys at Irv Seaver and see if they found a successful alternative.

Last, if you have to buy the BMW alternative Chicago BMW will give a 10% discount.

One past last, if you can think of an alternative we can do in the machine shop you're welcome to ride up to Carlsbad sometime when I don't have the kids and we'll make some chips.

--Jerry

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I'm not sure which bit of the shift lever this thread is about. When I lowered my pegs I found that the stock shifter could be rotated at the shift box on the splines making the toe rubber lower. But unfortunately, even set high, the toe rubber moves too close to your heel.

I had to grind away the 'V' stops on the final short toe lever. I used the original bolt with a serrated washer between the toe lever and shift arm then loctited the original bolt so the toe lever sat about 20 degree forward. It hasn't moved yet in 9 months.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the advice. My shifter was pretty beat up, so I bit the bullet and purchased a new part this morning. I do have to say that the shifting is much nicer now. Don't know why, but it just feels smoother.

Jerry, I might take you up on your offer to visit your machine shop. And try and mod the old shifter. I do have a couple ideas.

ONON-
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts