BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put 1000 miles on my new/used K1200. While on my way home suddenly I couldn't down-shift from 6th gear. It eventually moved, but the remainder of the ride up-shifting and down-shifting were problematic. I do not see any issues with the linkage to the shift lever on the transmission. Looks like a pain to get off and back on without tearing the exhaust off. I'll change the transmission oil next and look for fragments.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You've made the right decision for the first step. Filter the oil through a coffee filter to get a better read on the solid stuff in the oil. Assume nothing else until the oil tells its story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not as simple as it looks

They use a 14mm hex wrench for the transmission drain plug. I can't find one anywhere today. Special BMW tool of course. I'm leery about warming up the transmission before draining the oil. If there is metal in the oil, I don't want to do any more damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take the gear leaver off with an Allen key. The lever revolves around a plain bearing; basically a chrome cylinder that revolves around a shaft. Remove it put it in a drill chuck, oil it and spin it in some emery cloth. This will resolve it I suspect. It's a 10 minute job. Nearly got rid of mine in 2003 because of the sticking, however did the above and it was ok and has been ever since. I'm still riding it and can't see me ever selling my RS; the old ones are the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts