BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of mileage does everyone get for their riding style?

I consistently got 30mpg on the bike. I figured it was an issue with the remus exhaust that was fitted, so I installed a booster plug and put the IAT sensor back inside the airbox. Now I get 33mpg. This seems kind of low for the bike. I do ride quite fast, with consistent sprints over 100mph. Still it baffles me that a 500lb bike can get worse mileage than a 3000lb honda civic.

Is there something I’m overlooking here? Should I maybe put in some injector cleaner or otherwise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
MY 2005 K1200S got 40 MPG prior to the installation of a Dyno Jet Power Commander and SBK Exhaust. Now its 35 MPG on a good day and 31 on a bad one.
My K1600 typically gets 42 MPG and is approx 250 LBS heavier however..... If I had to bet the performance winner however I would chose the K12 with the slight advantage.
On another note: My Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 at 4500 LBS just went 600 miles on 19.2 gallons (31 MPG) . Oh the 19.2 gallons was diesel fuel. Dan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MY 2005 K1200S got 40 MPG prior to the installation of a Dyno Jet Power Commander and SBK Exhaust. Now its 35 MPG on a good day and 31 on a bad one.
My K1600 typically gets 42 MPG and is approx 250 LBS heavier however..... If I had to bet the performance winner however I would chose the K12 with the slight advantage.
On another note: My Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 at 4500 LBS just went 600 miles on 19.2 gallons (31 MPG) . Oh the 19.2 gallons was diesel fuel. Dan
sigh

Seems par for the course then. As much as Iike the Remus exhaust, I’d prefer the stock exhaust and the mileage.

I miss carburetors.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Remus hexcone on the bike, 48-52 mpg less if your having fun of course. Try cleaning your injectors. It is a bit of a pain to remove them but then you can send them to Mr. Injector in Idaho. Bike runs pretty darn good with fresh injectors.

Reactions: Seeeu911

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, what numbers are you comparing against when claiming shitty numbers along 100mph consistent driving. What numbers does that honda civic spout when doing 100mph consistent?

Windresistance is awful on a bike, mainly due to the rider. You now what hapoens with increased speed and windresistance?

Official consumptionnumbers on the k13, if you double the speed at which they are stated the bikes has to produce 8 times more power to achieve it.
Resistance increases by the square of the speed.

So the bike doesent have shitty mileage, your drivingstyle is the cause of that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remus hexcone on the bike, 48-52 mpg less if your having fun of course. Try cleaning your injectors. It is a bit of a pain to remove them but then you can send them to Mr. Injector in Idaho. Bike runs pretty darn good with fresh injectors.
For the life of me I don’t understand how an exhaust or lack thereof causes such trouble, especially on an EFI bike with an O2 sensor that should be able to adapt to any “back pressure” that’s missing. If anything a straight exaust should get higher mileage, no?

Well, what numbers are you comparing against when claiming shitty numbers along 100mph consistent driving. What numbers does that honda civic spout when doing 100mph consistent?

Windresistance is awful on a bike, mainly due to the rider. You now what hapoens with increased speed and windresistance?

Official consumptionnumbers on the k13, if you double the speed at which they are stated the bikes has to produce 8 times more power to achieve it.
Resistance increases by the square of the speed.

So the bike doesent have shitty mileage, your drivingstyle is the cause of that.
The highest mpg number I’ve gotten is 33. I don’t always go 100mph, sometimes I commute or something. I’d expect somewhere around 40. With my prior K12S I owned I got around 40mpg (stock exhaust).

I understand how wind resistance works. My 3-series gets 26mpg at 100mph and weighs 7x as much and has like 3-4x more surface area, 2x the number of wheels being driven, and ~3x more displacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Meh, I think the mileage gods are punishing you because you’re riding around on a suspect carcass, busted up worn out holey tire with a plug in it ;)I bet if you put a fresh safe tire on the back you could go faster and your mileage would magically improve

·
Registered
3 Posts

I consistently got 30mpg on the bike. I figured it was an issue with the remus exhaust that was fitted, so I installed a booster plug and put the IAT sensor back inside the airbox. Now I get 33mpg. This seems kind of low for the bike. I do ride quite fast, with consistent sprints over 100mph. Still it baffles me that a 500lb bike can get worse mileage than a 3000lb honda civic.

Is there something I’m overlooking here? Should I maybe put in some injector cleaner or otherwise?
That is low... I average 50.1mpg.. and when flooring it.. she drops to 43mpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meh, I think the mileage gods are punishing you because you’re riding around on a suspect carcass, busted up worn out holey tire with a plug in it ;)I bet if you put a fresh safe tire on the back you could go faster and your mileage would magically improve
Does my tire offend you?

·
Registered
3 Posts

K1200 RS - I get 40 -45 depending on mountains and the like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 07 12r Sport. I’d say in the 70s and 80s I am averaging mid 40s on premium. I’d think mid to upper 30s would be right at 100+. Could be bad fuel depending on what you are using?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts

Just throwing this out there. I have a K1200RS and if the battery gets disconnected there's a must procedure to reset the throttle positioning sensor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have a 07 12r Sport. I’d say in the 70s and 80s I am averaging mid 40s on premium. I’d think mid to upper 30s would be right at 100+. Could be bad fuel depending on what you are using?
93 octane premium. I also do the fuel pump walk - find a pump that was just used to fill premium, this way my tank doesn't get polluted with regular crap. I might run some injector cleaner through the bike. Apparently changing the spark plugs is a bitch.

Just throwing this out there. I have a K1200RS and if the battery gets disconnected there's a must procedure to reset the throttle positioning sensor.
I've already done this, despite never having disconnected the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
K1200 RS, 50 miles per gallon, mountain riding. I suspect several issues causing your anemic gas mileage. There may be a gasoline leak due to failing quick disconnect couplings under the fuel tank. Are perhaps you need to adjust your riding style.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts