BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
What sort of mileage does everyone get for their riding style?
38.7 - 38.9, according to my computer. 2015 K1300s motorsports, 28,000 miles. Pirelli tires throughout, currently the Angel GT II.

Every now and then I reset my mileage, but it always ends up back around 39mpg. I've not seen how low I could get it on a 'spirited run', but I have seen the high end.
If I hold steady at 55mph in 6th gear, I'll see 50.0 mpg. I've never averaged that. On a long road trip my mileage rises into the mid-40's, depending on the type of driving. Usually 43-44. Around town I'm gassing up at 180 miles, but on the road I often get 240, if I'm not doing 100mph.

So it's city driving that pulls down the mileage for me. My type of city driving isn't stop-n-go creeping along, it's more freeway and 4-lane streets. If I got across town on the bike, it will be 50-75 miles in each direction often around 85mph. In traffic I'm described as 'aggressive' by non-motorcyclists. I like 5-10mph faster than the flow of traffic. 85mph is my go-to comfortable speed, and there are a lot of roads around Phoenix where you can drive that speed if you are on the edge of town.
Another data point. I got 2700 miles on the original M3's, though I could have got to 3000 at least. Since then I've been getting about 4500-5000 miles on a set of Angel GT's, flat-spotting in the middle of the rear.

I've also got a booster switch, but it made zero difference in my mileage.

I run 38/42 psi.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just ran some liqui-moly fuel system cleaner through my bike.

Hopefully that’ll clean the injectors a big. The next step would be the spark plugs. Unfortunately that’s a huge “while you’re in there” project, so if I did that I’d also do the valves and likely the timing chain. Or am I mistaken, can the spark plugs be replaced without draining/removing the radiator?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Really dont think so, never reflected over it, but i dont see the hoses flexing enough, they are quite short and hard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What sort of mileage does everyone get for their riding style?

I consistently got 30mpg on the bike. I figured it was an issue with the remus exhaust that was fitted, so I installed a booster plug and put the IAT sensor back inside the airbox. Now I get 33mpg. This seems kind of low for the bike. I do ride quite fast, with consistent sprints over 100mph. Still it baffles me that a 500lb bike can get worse mileage than a 3000lb honda civic.

Is there something I’m overlooking here? Should I maybe put in some injector cleaner or otherwise?
My 2015 K13s has a stock motor and exhaust, no mods. During an October trip I covered about 2,500 miles, about 550 miles on the last day hammering the throttle and keeping close to 100 MPH most of the time. Averaged 42 MPG. And that's the average MPG for almost all types of riding, long, short, fast, or slow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Since then I've been getting about 4500-5000 miles on a set of Angel GT's, flat-spotting in the middle of the rear.
As it so happens this information came at exactly the right time for me: I find myself in need of a front tire.

If you're really getting 50-75% more life out of Pirelli Angel GT II's over the Michelins, that's hugely impressive and worth their 40-50% premium. Do they offer the same grip?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just changed my plugs at 33,000. They really needed changing. Not a hard job. You will need the vaccum fill tool, a new o-ring for the water pump housing, and the tool to help pull the coils out. Read my post on winter work for more info on changing the plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I commute in LA, i regularly break 100mph for sprints. 34.9 mpg is really normal. Get out in the country it climbs to 42 or so. It's a big engine built for power. Throttle sensitivity makes going easy nearly impossible, especially since I don't like the feeling of lugging it below 4k.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts