BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 37K I am almost sure the bike is worn in and is ready for a few upgrades. I need input on what shocks to replace the original with,,,, and if you installed them yourself about how much time it took and where their any major snags?

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got Works Performance Shocks. They set the springs and shock for my ride weight and ride style.

I just put them on and set the rebound adjustment in the middle then choose more or less rebound.

The rear is simple the front more time needed must remove the fuel tank.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
No, Wilbers makes a set of shocks for the K1200RS/GT. I've used them, been really happy with them. Rebuilt about three times now (150K miles). Would recommend that they get re-newed (new oil) at 24k miles after having gone further than that. The oil does wear and get dirty.

Hyperpro has been mentioned, but I have no experience with them. Ohlins, while being quite good, are usually more expensive, and I personally couldn't tell the difference as my riding isn't that precise where I'd notice.

With Wilbers, general availability for the front comes with manual (ring adjustable) pre-load and rebound adjustment only. Rear comes with manual pre-load, hydraulic preload, rebound, and compression (hi-speed and lo-speed compression). The hydraulic pre-load comes with a remote adjuster that attaches to the right rail that holds the side case. If you get the adjustable compression, it also has a remote that mounts where you want it ... I didn't get that, so I don't know how that installs. Rebound adjustment is a ring on the shock itself.

The rear was fairly simple to install. The front requires a bit of work, and I let the shop that rebuilds them do the removal and installation.

So, Chilei did his own shocks ... damned 'copter pilots think they can do everything. :teeth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
mc4fun said:
I did see this the other day, tried to activate on the site but they are not sending me the confirmation email. I emailed the webmaster this am. Hope it takes
Thanks for the info
Yep, you want that confirmation to be welcomed to the insanity :teeth , but as I asked for a quote myself on the K1200RS, you'll be looking at just about $1,500.00 for the pair. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
when?

I am curious to know how many miles the OE shocks are good for? I know it depends on many things, but has anyone experienced worn out BMW shocks, and could tell the difference from new?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you really need to ask! :teeth :teeth :teeth The difference cannot be explained in mere words! I changed out my oem shocks at 70000km for ohlins, and it was like learning to ride the K12RS all over again. The transformation was incredible, and better than I could have ever hoped for. :rotf: No more fighting the bars, and sore hands from gripping like my life depended on it. If your ride is at a point where you fear the corners, you need new shocks. BTW, with Ohlins, no need to remove the tank, or the upper radiator hose. Just slip off the rubber cushion from the top of the new front shock, fit the shock into place, and refit the rubber cushion. The rear was more of a PITA mucking around with the remote reservoir under the seat. The tank does not need to come off, but does need the fixing bolts removed so it can be lifted to install the remote preload.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I went with the Works Performance on my old RT primarily because the factory was within 100 miles of me in LA. If the sag ended up wrong for my weight, they literally had barrels of different springs to make it right. Some Ohlins dealers sell the stock setup and cannot do any mods like change a spring out without ordering, and a wait involved if they do.

I did have an initial defect where their quick-change dual-spring nut didn't turn easily by hand on the rear one so the "being nearby" thing worked out well and they made the fix in an hour. Never needed a rebuild as I only kept the bike for a couple of years before trading out the GT.

Mack

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jeromy said:
I am curious to know how many miles the OE shocks are good for? I know it depends on many things, but has anyone experienced worn out BMW shocks, and could tell the difference from new?
I think my OE sport shocks lasted a little longer than usual. My wife (115lbs) put the first 38K miles on the RS, so I think that helped make them last. Then I started riding and flogging the RS. I could tell at the last at least 15K miles on the OE shocks the bike took extra work to ride aggressively and had limited to no rebound. I could just tell the big bike was a little weak in the legs especially when tires getting down to the end of their lives.

When I put the Ohlin's on or had them put on, it was very obvious that the big bike had new legs and was much more comfortable and responsive. If you have more than 50K miles on your bike I would make it a priority.

·
Registered
109 Posts
FlagRS said:
I think my OE sport shocks lasted a little longer than usual. My wife (115lbs) put the first 38K miles on the RS, so I think that helped make them last. Then I started riding and flogging the RS. I could tell at the last at least 15K miles on the OE shocks the bike took extra work to ride aggressively and had limited to no rebound. I could just tell the big bike was a little weak in the legs especially when tires getting down to the end of their lives.

When I put the Ohlin's on or had them put on, it was very obvious that the big bike had new legs and was much more comfortable and responsive. If you have more than 50K miles on your bike I would make it a priority.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Jeromy said:

Mr. Jeromy, how are you doing neighbor? Nice weather Eh! :(

Mr. Kiwi said it all here.....but look at his signature! I think he is better put some wings on that bike and use that as his Avatar......:clap:

I have had a lot of experience with worn out BMW Shocks, that is I blew the OEM on the K100RS at very low milleage and got an aftermarket that lasted a very long time before it needed rebuilt. On my GS I blew 3 OEMs within 40,000 Km until BMW gave me a Works Performance. That was nice of them and no more warranty claims to fill.....! :teeth

This bike which I bought with 30,000 Km on the clock, it took me quite a while to figure out the adjustment so I could get a somewhat acceptable handling, but barely acceptable........and the fact I cannot adjust the front does not help either.And my adjustments are nowhere near BMW's recommendations. :wtf:

As soon as I load up with camping gear for long trips, most of the rear adjustments are cranked all the way up, a sure sign of weakness, I should still be able to adjust up with a proper shock without stressing it to its limits. :confused:

I am pretty sure that one is blown/seeping too, I was going to take it apart and see, just haven't gotten around to that yet, would be my fifth blown OEM.....so no surprise there. :rolleyes:

There is an outfit in Abbotsford that sells Ohlins and I heard some good about them. I am going to try stopping there tomorrow and see what kind of pricing they may have and I need tires too. Maybe cheaper importing from the States, but buying locally would help with initial setups, warranty problems if any and eventually save on the cost and hassle of shipping away for rebuilts and such. :bmw:

I know someone else who may be interested, maybe we could set up our own little group buy here in Canada.......! :thumb:

BMW OEM Shocks........: :manure: :leer :rant :cussing: :bash: :deadhorse :D :( :rotf:

·
Registered
419 Posts
An Ohlins dealer (and any other quality shock seller for that matter) should ask you for your ready-to-ride weight so he can set your shocks up before installation. My sprung weight and rider sag measurements were spot on. I only needed to adjust the compression and rebound slightly in the rear. Front is not adjustable apart from preload, and in MHO, does not need to be. If the dealer is not asking the questions, he should be, and I would suggest he may not have the knowledge or workshop facilities to initiate adjustments to suit you. Good luck. PM me if you go with Ohlins as there was a modification to the compression hose fitting at the shock to avoid potential damage to the tupperware. Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shocks

H96669 said:
Yep, you want that confirmation to be welcomed to the insanity :teeth , but as I asked for a quote myself on the K1200RS, you'll be looking at just about $1,500.00 for the pair. :)
Thanks, Good info

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put a set of Ohlins on my 2004 K1200RS. I should be able to take you through it with no problem. I had 39K on my bike but the shocks were gone at 20K. I akways felt the bike was a little undersuspended anyway. It's a new motorcycle, absolutely the best $2K I've ever spent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nothing is perfect and the cast aluminum frame is no exception. The rear shock top mounting bolt should be able to be installed by hand. If it doesn't the shock eyeelt may be contacting the aluminum frame due to normal casting tolerances. You will end up grinding a very small amout of the frame away so the shock mount fits freely. A Dremel is perfect for the job. The front shock is harder to get to but easy to install. One trick for the front is to remove the inside shock mount bushing before trying to remove/install the shock. If you have a seperate hydraulic compression reservoir you have to mount it to the instrument cluster sub-frame.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I Concur with woodman re the bushing. Also, there is no need to drain and remove the top radiator hose, saving heaps of time and fresh coolant :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts