BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done enough miles on the S that they are looking at shock replacement. Just trying to get a guide for what to expect if I end up trading the RS.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess they don't wear out..... ;-) Heard that's not true about tires.....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quoting my local BMW dealer:
Email 1:
FYI, front shock replacement for an ESA equipped bike @ $867.50. Rear replacement on an ESA equipped bike @ $1,965.00
Email 2:
Forgot to mention in my last email with pricing-yes, the shocks are covered under the factory warranty.

·
Registered
395 Posts
but has anyone found out for sure are they rebuildable??

·
Registered
66 Posts
That will be Mike's job. For almost $3K a set, it's likely worth a few calls. . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a matter of interest, my rear shock (ESA equipped) exhibited a slight oil leak after only 5000km. It was changed under warranty no questions asked.

After seeing the prices you guys have had quoted, all I can say is thank God for warranty!

·
Registered
293 Posts
karlb said:
but has anyone found out for sure are they rebuildable??
I can't see why the original shocks won't be rebuildable - it's a fairly common practice. The unit replacement costs quoted by Faust are outrageous. Price resistance will see a market develop for rebuilding and/or further development of these shocks. Even in the small Australian market there is sufficient volume and demand to support shock rebuilding outfits. I would expect that as demand for rebuilds of the ESA shocks is established the niche will be filled. It just takes enough people to ask and establish a market demand.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about wear?

Any input on how long they are likely to last? Most would say the shocks on the RS/GT were toast by 30K, that is about a $1-2K replacement set up if you go with Wilburs or Ohlins, more like a grand for the OEM set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts