BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, just a quick followup post to my earlier "new bike" post. I bought a 2007 K1200GT with 47K for $2000 after the owner spent a $1000 on a service at the dealership and got fed-up. It rides very well, but there are a few things that need to be addressed.

Clutch - The clutch drags on startup, and occasionally makes a "yeereech" sound on first gear take-off. A kind forum member sold me all the tools, a K1300 clutch assembly, master cylinder and all the items needed to put in a K1300 clutch for about the price of just the tools, so that's going in. Thank you - you know who you are!

Timing chain - The bike does rattle a bit for about 2 seconds on startup after a few days sitting - it's had the updated tensioner installed, but I think it's leaking down. I've got a APE manual tensioner that I'm going to put in when I do the clutch - I figure I'll have a good view of the tension with the clutch cover off for setting it up. I've also gotten the "jump guard" and plan to install that as well.

Ergos - I'm 6'5". I put on the Laminar lip, and now with the windshield at full extension, there's just clean air going over the top of my helmet and it's very quiet. WIN. I have the peg lowering kit coming tomorrow and we'll see if that helps.

What am I missing - spline lube maybe? What else? Any hints for the the clutch replacement or tensioner install?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Rob

I hope you meant K1200GT not R1200GT. There was a recall on fuel flange for leaking, timing chain guard. If you search the forum There is a fix for clutch squeek, by machine down part of clutch push rod and allows more oil to flows thru clutch plates, for timing chain rattle there is after market manual timing adjuster out there unless you wanted to replace with a factory upgraded tensioner ( larger oil reservoir ), there are lot of parts are interchangeable with K1300 engine even transmission, hope this help, I found out all this after I sold my bike, just search the forums.

Tony

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Rob

I hope you meant K1200GT not R1200GT. There was a recall on fuel flange for leaking, timing chain guard. If you search the forum There is a fix for clutch squeek, by machine down part of clutch push rod and allows more oil to flows thru clutch plates, for timing chain rattle there is after market manual timing adjuster out there unless you wanted to replace with a factory upgraded tensioner ( larger oil reservoir ), there are lot of parts are interchangeable with K1300 engine even transmission, hope this help, I found out all this after I sold my bike, just search the forums.

Tony

Ha! Yes. K1200 - sorry - 30 years of riding and wrenching r100's, 1150's, and 1200's has me typing "R" whenever I post something (fixed). Thanks for the heads up on the fuel flange - have not heard of that one (link?) - it did have the wheel flange recall done. I have the APE manual tensioner on-hand and it's going in when the K1300 clutch goes in. Anything else I'm missing?

·
Addict-oholic
1,419 Posts
Rob, I have a 2009 GT, having had the 2006 Gt earlier on. I purchased a pair of highway pegs from Ken Estrada. On longish rides, it helps straighten out your legs a bit, especially on the Interstates at high speeds. A very easy install, with only two bolts on each side. Look him up on Google or Facebook. he makes them up once or twice a year..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ha! Yes. K1200 - sorry - 30 years of riding and wrenching r100's, 1150's, and 1200's has me typing "R" whenever I post something (fixed). Thanks for the heads up on the fuel flange - have not heard of that one (link?) - it did have the wheel flange recall done. I have the APE manual tensioner on-hand and it's going in when the K1300 clutch goes in. Anything else I'm missing?
Unfortunately I don't have a link, you can search highway safety board or check with local dealer to see if it was done. Numerous riders crashed from fuel leaks over the rear tire and caused losing traction, I am worried about it catches on fires, where fuel leaks is right on top of alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts