BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting too old to crawl around the garage floor, so I've been shopping for a "device" to raise my GT for minor maintenance tasks, mostly tire and oil changes. Some are relatively inexpensive, but I'm confused by the variety available. I can't even tell if there is one product that would work for both tasks. I'm not sure the generic jacks, wheel lifts, etc. are compatible with the configuration of the GT. Can anyone help with a recommendation?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shop lift

I can help on this one by telling you NOT what to do. Don't waste your time with any of the cheap, made in China lifts like I did. Do it right and buy a Handy lift, made in the USA. Costs more, but you do get what you pay for. I shopped around for a lift, and bought one on line. One of the "Black Widow" made in China lifts from a large e-tailer on line. What a mess. I can't even describe how many parts were missing from the busted-up pallet unloaded at my door. No ramps, no bars to hold the extra side sections, etc. When I called the seller, they were very helpful, and send me a set of ramps which did not fit my lift! To make a long story short, I've made do with it, but would NEVER do it again. A waste of time, money and effort. Stick with Handy, you will be much better off in the long run. One more important thing. The GT and RS centerstands are very low to the ground and will catch on the lifts because the approach ramps provided are too short. I have to put a piece of wood under mine to raise it so the center stand does not hang up loading the bike on the lift table. I keep thinking I'll have a fabricator make a longer ramp for me...someday. Watch this vid, and you'll see what I mean. It's an LT, but same issue: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Illinois+BMW+lift+review&&view=detail&mid=A51637E6E1117BFB454DA51637E6E1117BFB454D&FORM=VRDGAR

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a Chinese one and put an extension each side to make it easier to put the bike up onto the stand. Had none of the problems described by the previous poster. I will try to attach a picture. The bike in the picture is my grandsons Kawasaki but it handles the k1200 with ease. My motivation for getting it was the same as yours, I am not lying on another concrete floor!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry I don’t. There are a number on evilbay for sale here in Australia so I expect they will be readily available in the US.
I sought advice on iBMW, recommendations were scissor lift, front wheel holder and two working positions. I was checking the valve clearances today, had it on the lower position and sat on a stool and did all the checks, majic
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
bike lifts

Alex, looks like they may have re-designed that model slightly - at least I hope so (is it a Motomax?)... I bought one a few years ago as it was supposedly rated to around 800kg...... put my K1200LT on it and it tore the crossbeam that the hydraulic attaches to clean apart on the first lift. Looks like they have a welded support bar on their now instead.

I would up paying for a decent shop-quality one from a guy in Qld... much safer.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
bike lifts

I bought the Harbor Freight lift to do an output shaft replacement a few years ago and it worked OK. For smaller jobs like oil changes I find it too much trouble to retrieve the lift from under the push mower and bicycle, position it, push bike onto it(being careful not to drop it in process of course.) A drawback is the wheel clamp/chock which secures the front wheel. As you probably know, the handle bars often need to be turned to do some jobs, so you are temped to leave it unsecured and also remove straps if they are attached to your grips. Be careful. Also many jobs like the semi annual ABS unit flush require access to the top of the bike during the job so some raising up and down is required. Only reason for keeping this thing is the possibility of needing to do another large job. Don't mean to be discouraging, but lifts require some investment of time/work as well IMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts