BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some suggestions for a cheap bike with a short wheelbase.

I love my K--R and I'll never part with it but I know it's bored with me. I'm a very cautious rider and I'm afraid of even slightly moderate lean angles.

What cheap sport bike should I look for to "train-up" in the twisties and gain some more confidence with my leaning?

It has to be naked, have a fairly good suspension and not cost too much.

I'm looking at the Speed Triple but the headlights are just so butt ugly.

What experiences have you guys had with other bikes?

Thanks,
D

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Any 600 will make you a better rider.

If you want an even cheaper ride, an SV is a trackday favorite.

Edit- Oh you want naked. Hmmm....

How much is the KTM? It get really good reviews.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
SV650 is a great bike for the price. As JCW said, it's a trackday favorite. And when you become bored with it, you can get a pretty good price for it. They hold their value pretty well.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Cpt K12R,
Rather than getting a new or another bike, why not spend some money on a track day such as california superbike school? they use Kawa 600s and they will teach you, show you, observe you going around the track. you don't have to be fast, you just have to want to learn. it's a good confidence builder.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree with allikanbe!..

Rather than spend thousands for another bike to try to figure things out on your own..(and the odds of getting it right are slim to none..). Let somebody teach you how to be a better rider on ANY bike... worth every penny... and I also recommend the CSS... You will learn more in 2 days than you can imagine.

allikanbe1 said:
Cpt K12R,
Rather than getting a new or another bike, why not spend some money on a track day such as california superbike school? they use Kawa 600s and they will teach you, show you, observe you going around the track. you don't have to be fast, you just have to want to learn. it's a good confidence builder.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pirate said:
I agree with allikanbe!..

Rather than spend thousands for another bike to try to figure things out on your own..(and the odds of getting it right are slim to none..). Let somebody teach you how to be a better rider on ANY bike... worth every penny... and I also recommend the CSS... You will learn more in 2 days than you can imagine.
Agreed, you need to learn to ride the bike, no bike will teach you to ride it. I dont know if im reading too much into what your saying but if you get taught to steer the bike and look through the corners, how far (the bike) leans will be the last thing on your mind.

I am currently considering putting one of these little toys in the garage next to the GT. If your looking for something naked that stimulates your desire for corners check it out.

A Triumph Thruxton 900. (actually 865)

About US$7k i think, a lot more here but still cheap and its got fun written all over it! :D :D :D :D
P.S. I must also admit to a little nostalgia

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dadicool59 said:
Agreed, you need to learn to ride the bike, no bike will teach you to ride it. I dont know if im reading too much into what your saying but if you get taught to steer the bike and look through the corners, how far (the bike) leans will be the last thing on your mind.
Do the track days, even with the K12R, they will put you in the first timer group. You will get lots of coaching. My wife complained about the lean angles, when we rode two up and the chicken stripes on her bike were wider than the wear area.

one track day - later no chicken strips on her bike, and my kidneys aren't sore from when she rides with me any more.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for your input.

I have done 2 track events and my first was the Keith Code school. I rode my K12R and it was not a fun experience for me. On the second run an asshat cut me off on the inside corner and that kinda blew it for me.

I did my second track day a few weeks ago and I was still shaky 'though I took away some useful lessons learned and have begun hanging off more--no where near putting my knee down.

Yes, I would have done better on one of their 600 cc's but I don't ride a 600 sportbike. (well, my F650 is easier to corner, but I want a sport type bike to get more comfy on).

I will check out the SV650. Has anyone here ridden one? How's the suspension?

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Captain K12R said:
Thanks all for your input.

I have done 2 track events and my first was the Keith Code school. I rode my K12R and it was not a fun experience for me. On the second run an asshat cut me off on the inside corner and that kinda blew it for me.

I did my second track day a few weeks ago and I was still shaky 'though I took away some useful lessons learned and have begun hanging off more--no where near putting my knee down.

Yes, I would have done better on one of their 600 cc's but I don't ride a 600 sportbike. (well, my F650 is easier to corner, but I want a sport type bike to get more comfy on).

I will check out the SV650. Has anyone here ridden one? How's the suspension?
Something like that should be taken care of by the event coordinators.

There should be no passing within 10 ft or in a turn for the beginners or even intermediate groups.

·
Registered
230 Posts
"A low mileage, properly serviced, used Ducati Monster."

EXACTLY what I was going to recommend JohnPeter. I guess great minds think alike!! I would get an air cooled Monster.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JCW said:
Something like that should be taken care of by the event coordinators.

There should be no passing within 10 ft or in a turn for the beginners or even intermediate groups.
Yeah, this works if the safety corner sees it happen.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Well, first I have to jump on the track school bandwagon. Best bang for the buck, even if they aren't cheap. And rather than use their 636's, I stuck with the K1200GT, heavy and slow as it is. It ain't so slow anymore on the street, which is what I was after. (Knee hasn't been less than 9" from the pavement, either).

Or, get a Kawasaki KZ1000. Test rode one of those and had a blast. Was actually more comfortable riding that than a Triumph Tiger, which was fun itself.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
+1 on the track day idea. There's nothing wrong with buying another bike if it brings you more (fun, learning, whatever), but if you love to ride your K1200R, why don't you take the K1200R to the appropriate class? Better to learn on the bike you love to ride, right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts