BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think. I have a 2007 K1200GT, 1600 miles, and so far no BBS or high Idle. I keep reading about all the bikes developing this at some point. I know some of you think that if it is not broke don't fix it, but I plan on going on several rides this summer and don't want to get away from home and have this develope. Should I tell my dealer I have this problem and have the new airbox and software installed, or take my chances.

Thanks for your input
GT Wheels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I also have a 2007 and have not had this problem. There are no guarantees in this world. I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy". Search some of the threads on this forum and you will find disquieting evidence that bikes that have had software upgrades and new airboxes have other problems such as backfiring or still have some other behaviour problems. My advice is to leave it alone!
 

·
Would rather be riding
Joined
·
537 Posts
+1 if it ain't broke

jfritz_drfritz said:
I also have a 2007 and have not had this problem. There are no guarantees in this world. I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy".
That's my plan as well. I've also got an '07 with about 4K miles so far, and as far as I can tell the throttle is solid, even at low revs, so I'm not going to mess with it. (But it's good to keep the issue in mind -- if I ever notice any sign of HI/BBS I'll know exactly what to do about it.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
I'd consider the cost and where you'd be riding the bike (in the future if you don't have the issue) or even if you may consider selling it, having the modifications will be less hassle down the road (for everyone).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I did it

I have close to 10k on my 07 and I never had any problems nor did I want to find out. I had mine done last Thursday just for peace of mind and if is just as great as it ever was. No backfiring or anything sort of problem on the 120 miles back. I even got a new air filter while the fairing was off. I would do it again. :thumb:
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
I'd get it done if for no other reason than to hold BMW responsible. The bean counters measure warranty claims closely, and if the numbers get too high then they push for changes. So if you just let it go then they have no real incentive to fix these sorts of problems.
 

·
Would rather be riding
Joined
·
537 Posts
But I don't have a problem...

Meese said:
I'd get it done if for no other reason than to hold BMW responsible. The bean counters measure warranty claims closely, and if the numbers get too high then they push for changes. So if you just let it go then they have no real incentive to fix these sorts of problems.
The problem with this reasoning is that I don't actually have a problem! ...it seems (mildly) unethical to tell BMW that something's broken when it isn't, just to get a new part. And since this has already been changed in the '08 model, my false report won't make any difference. I can't hold BMW responsible for something they haven't done to me!

If this was a problem that might leave me stuck someplace (like a final drive failure), then I'd be a lot more serious about preventative measures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Two kinds of GTs, those that have HI/BBS & those that will

bonafidebob said:
That's my plan as well. I've also got an '07 with about 4K miles so far, and as far as I can tell the throttle is solid, even at low revs, so I'm not going to mess with it. (But it's good to keep the issue in mind -- if I ever notice any sign of HI/BBS I'll know exactly what to do about it.)
How about low speed throttle sensitivity.
I didn't have any HI/BBS until 9,000 miles but I did have a touchy throttle which was helped by a software update (to 7.01) but really not completely fixed until the v.3 airbox/software upgrade. It also takes out alot of the up-change gear clunk!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I would get it done now, or at least within warranty period. You might have an easier time convincing dealer that it happened at low miles than at high miles.
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
bonafidebob said:
The problem with this reasoning is that I don't actually have a problem! ...it seems (mildly) unethical to tell BMW that something's broken when it isn't, just to get a new part. And since this has already been changed in the '08 model, my false report won't make any difference. I can't hold BMW responsible for something they haven't done to me!

If this was a problem that might leave me stuck someplace (like a final drive failure), then I'd be a lot more serious about preventative measures.
Man, I have to agree with you. I was talking to Robert, one of the owners of Lonestar, told him I'd fettled the airbox and hadn't had a problem since. He said if it popped up to let him know. Well, it did, I did and they're going to on the 16th.

Not all of them do it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it pops up, then do it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top