BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
First post and i wanted to ask advice.
I have just returned my F800ST to the dealers because it was unreliable, too many recalls, flashing oil lights, i had just had enough.
The dealer is going to give me preferential deal on a used K1200S.
Now i use my bike for my business commuting most days into Manchester city centre, but other days, longer stretches, and at weekends for pure riding. Blasts to wales and the lakes with mates.The f800 was a great ride, good in traffic etc.
How would the K1200S suit me?
Is it reliable, any recalls, dodgy build bits etc.
Help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
I say go for it. The S is a great bike, my guess is it will put an even bigger smile on your face.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i would caution against purchasing a used KS based on my experience with my 2006 KS. Since i purchased my 2006 KS i've had the fueling problem of surging at low speeds, hesitation during acceleration, sudden rpm drop off at crusing speed and stalling at stops. i've had three software upgrades and the airbox replaced yet the problem persists. my tranny failed at 9500 miles and had to be replaced. there are also other issues that i haven't experienced but others have like rear drive failure and antenna ring failure that occurs without warning and will leave you stranded.

there are a lot of folks that swear their KS is the best bike on earth and haven't had an issue and for them it's true but my experience has not been a good one. i wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of the new generation K bikes and i don't see myself buying another BMW anytime soon.

·
Registered
459 Posts
what year is the bike your looking at?

I have an 06, a ton of problems as well. I ride daily, I own no cage.

It can be a little tuff in town if traffic is always bad.

As much as I like this bike even with all the daym problems I've had (no real driveability issues or I may not be singing the same tune), I'd say buy one but get a brand new bike with an extended warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought my 08 a month ago and haven't had any issues.
I use it to commute thru stop and go, rush hour traffic.
I think this is the best bike I've ever owned, and I've been riding for over 35 years.
I've heard about problems, but as of this message (35 days and 3200 miles) I haven't had any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts