BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, what the hell is this guy thinking of!!

Well reality is I have three kids and want to be able to ride with them. I have an opportunity on a used sidecar (color is orange). Wondering if any of you guys good with photoshop to see what it would lool like with Bleu/White Zebra color sheme.

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fugly!

EricM said:
I know, I know, what the hell is this guy thinking of!!

Well reality is I have three kids and want to be able to ride with them. I have an opportunity on a used sidecar (color is orange). Wondering if any of you guys good with photoshop to see what it would lool like with Bleu/White Zebra color sheme.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric,

I mean this is the nicest way possible. That's seriously the ugliest sidecar rig I've ever seen - it's gut-wrenchingly horrific. Don't buy it. If you paint it blue or any other color, it'll still be f-ugly.

Silly question - Have you considered riding with one kid at a time?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course I do ride with them one at a time, but want to be able to take them all on family outings.

With regards to look I agree there are better looking rigs. This specific model if it does not have the best look has the advantage to be articulated and leans with the bike in curves. Similar to Flexit sidecars. The other advantage is that it can be remved and replaced in ~5min.

Eric

·
Registered
478 Posts
It reminds me of one of the tram cars in the James Bond movie Moonraker - hahaah

·
We're zoned for what ? cool !
186 Posts
Just say no, IMHO

I put a sidecar on my K75S 3 years ago. After one riding season, I pulled it off and sold it back to the guy(small dealer/installer) I had bought it from. The reasons are many. First, bikes and sidecars are two entirely different experiences. I love bikes; I found I do not love sidecarring. Second, as cool as it looks, people are not standing in line to ride with you. It sounds like you have a captive audience, but the only individuals offering to ride with me were my Great Danes. Third, unless it is put on right, a sidecar is much more dangerous than a bike. "Right" in this case means switching to a leading link fork. I didn't, and any time I took one hand off the bars, I'd get a headshake that would only stop if I stopped the rig completely. So if you do that (an additional $1500), the 5 minute on/off conversion is not doable. Plus I don't think you really want to take the risk with your kids. And fourth, that color combination would just be butt-ugly.

Attachments

·
186 Posts
Pop-quiz!!!

Who is that fine woman in the picture above?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your feedback Rob, not a done deal yet. But just to clarify if I do buy the rig it will be painted. Hence the original post to get some photoshop work with the blue/whit sheme.

Eric

·
Registered
56 Posts
MAC- will you slow those racetrack girls down???!!! and maybe make them bigger? I'm straining my eyes!

·
Registered
339 Posts
bostewart said:
MAC- will you slow those racetrack girls down???!!! and maybe make them bigger? I'm straining my eyes!
Now now now....you never want to ask for bigger women or you'll get much more than you bargained for.....be sure to ask him to make the pictures a larger viewable size......

·
186 Posts
Not me, but Tokico Boy does.

JamesTexas said:
I think you have a winner there.......
That is none other than Polly Smith, Brian's bride, who was the hostess for at least the first two BRP Rallies, plus scores of other "drop-ins" from the I-BMW group. And she did it all cheerfully! I was amazed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Blue Sidecar, But No Stripes

My K120RS is a tug, and blue, and Purrrty, too. I need a 175/55R17 tire to fit my stock rear wheel or a source for a 15" wheel so I can get a 165/80R15 tire on it. Any Help out there for tire or wheel source?

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is indeed one ugly sidecar. On top of that, leaners are very, very problematic setups still don't really give you that "I'm really riding my MC" feeling. while the idea of quickly detaching a sidecar and returning to a solo bike sounds appealing, the reality is that sidecar rigs only work well when they are set up as dedicated rigs. If you really like the MC you have now, go shopping for a used dedicated SC rig to add to your stable while you read Dave Hough's "Yellow Book" on sidecar piloting and sign up to take a sidecar class. See http://www.sidecar.com for additional info. And if you want a rig that will be marketable should you decide that sidecaring is not for you, buy a post-2006 Ural as it will be quite marketable.

I hate to see people jump into a rig without doing a toe-test first...
:)

Best,

GTRider

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts