BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a 30+ inseam and the low seat I have plenty of 'leg' to heft up my GT. I even have the TouraTech 'foot' on the sidestand. But I tell ya, even if there's a slight crown (down) when parking there are times I just cannot heft the bike up. I find myself picking (and often changing) a parking spot and 'testing' the lean to ensure I can get the bike 'up'. Cranking the bars 'right' helps a tad.

Why there is so much lean on the GT makes no sense to me. I'm at the point where I'm ready to have find someone to carve a chunk of billet aluminum, about 3/4" thick, and tap the aluminum through the TT 'foot'. Nice if someone already had one for sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Dissenting voice here. I think the lean is just about right. I actually prefer more, that way I am sure the wind will not blow it over and if there is some angle on the pavement I can be sure it won't go over. My goldwing is the opposite, not enough lean, sometimes when I park it I am concerned about it. IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
another desenting voice

I parked on a very slanted lot and the K fell over. Just as an aside, the damage was ~$2700. I say more lean is better than falling over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jfritz_drfritz said:
Dissenting voice here. I think the lean is just about right. I actually prefer more, that way I am sure the wind will not blow it over and if there is some angle on the pavement I can be sure it won't go over. My goldwing is the opposite, not enough lean, sometimes when I park it I am concerned about it. IMHO
My opinion is that BMW has made a mistake. I have an '08 RT, '07 Adv, 07 GT, had an LT and 1150 ADv, lean on all but the GT good, too far over on GT. BTW, here's a tip I posted; if you want more lean you can dial in ESA/Pre-load to 2-up and raise the bike about an inch or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That just seems like operator error. You were the one that chose to park the bike at almost vertical, which IMO has nothing to do with the lean angle of the sidestand as built by BMW designed for level ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
jpalamaro said:
That just seems like operator error. You were the one that chose to park the bike at almost vertical, which IMO has nothing to do with the lean angle of the sidestand as built by BMW designed for level ground.
I am not sure which post you are replying to. Sure I always have the option of parking somewhere else, the question is how far away and how convenient it is. With a proper (obviously open to discussion)lean on the sidestand one can park the bike in a variety of situations and not have it fall over
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jfritz_drfritz said:
I am not sure which post you are replying to. Sure I always have the option of parking somewhere else, the question is how far away and how convenient it is. With a proper (obviously open to discussion)lean on the sidestand one can park the bike in a variety of situations and not have it fall over
Let's take the variable 'where to park' out of the equation as that creates more issues than I care to handle.

IMO, the BMW GT sidestand, on perfectly level ground, leans the bike too far over with handlebars cranked either full lock left (usually preferred) or handlebars cocked full right (usually not preferred). With a full tank of gas, no topcase, and minimal use of the side cases, the GT difficult (not impossible) to heft off of sidestand. Decrease the sidestand side of the bike by even 1-inch off of level and it's very, very difficult to heft to vertical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
jpalamaro said:
My opinion is that BMW has made a mistake.
Humm, I'm a little confused. My GT feels very light off of the stand; very easy to lift when seated on the bike. I'd be very nervous if it stood any more upright. Maybe somethings bent on your stand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have three other bikes (electraglide, Goldwing, Hayabusa) and I don't find the GT any more difficult to lift off the sidestand than the others. The centerstand is a different issue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jfritz_drfritz said:
I have three other bikes (electraglide, Goldwing, Hayabusa) and I don't find the GT any more difficult to lift off the sidestand than the others. The centerstand is a different issue
IMO the only sidestand worthy of being called a sidestand is on the HD. Forget the centerstand on the GT. I weigh 160 lbs and if there's a toothbrush as extra baggage I can stand on the part of the centerstand, full weight, and the bike doesn't budge!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Yes it does lean over a little further than I would like.
It does take some effort to get it upright when your inseam is 28" like mine.

You do have to be very careful where you park, even more with an upright stand, as the GT is a barn door when not parked into the wind. Its scary to turn away and look back to see it swaying, you go back and face it into the wind, and it still sways a bit.

I've been using a 3/8" thick aluminum plate (4" x4") as the stand pad. With a cord attached so I don't have to bend over. Still fits in the fairing pocket (in a cardboard sleeve). Seems to be just the right height to get the bike more upright when retracting the stand.

You need to bravely pull up while you stand on the centerstand to get it off.
Maybe us old weak guys need the motorized centerstand, reverse too. Oh wait, I could have bought a motobago, I mean GW
 

·
Would rather be riding
Joined
·
537 Posts
Bent stand?

jpalamaro said:
IMO, the BMW GT sidestand, on perfectly level ground, leans the bike too far over with handlebars cranked either full lock left (usually preferred) or handlebars cocked full right (usually not preferred). With a full tank of gas, no topcase, and minimal use of the side cases, the GT difficult (not impossible) to heft off of sidestand. Decrease the sidestand side of the bike by even 1-inch off of level and it's very, very difficult to heft to vertical.
I don't have any problems getting mine off the sidestand. I attached a cellphone shot of my bike in the garage (level), the lean angle doesn't look like too much. ESA preload in the picture is 1+bags and the bars are locked full left. Maybe your sidestand is bent?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
It may be possible that you are too small for a big boys bike :teeth Just kidding. It does lean a good amount but I had a VFR that didnt lean enough and when stopping on the side of the road during group rides if the road was crowned it was ready to fall over!!!! I prefer he amount of lean the KGT has, it is well planted.

Bikes are like women, you must choose wisely, or suffer for your choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
John, I like you am more on the smaller side than some who post here being 150 lbs with a 30" inseam. Like you, I too have some difficulty heaving the bike both from the side stand and onto the centre stand, but it is possible. In fact, with a little "technique", in either case really not that difficult. I wish I could explain "technique", I can't. But I do not look for the "proper" place to park and have no real difficulty. I would not want the lean diminished.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
...Like you, I too have some difficulty heaving the bike both from the side stand and onto the centre stand, but it is possible.
Just drive the thing up over a 8" square of thick 3/4" plywood and park it so just the rear tire is on it. The thing will literally spring up onto the center stand without any problems - even fully loaded up.

Less stress on you and the "fragile" (i.e. bendable) stand too. :clap:

Mack
 

·
Addict-oholic
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
I finally figured how to get the bike up on the center stand with almost no difficulty. I leave the side stand down , left hand on the handlebar, right hand ont the seat grip( standing on the right side of course). I put my right foot on the centerstand lever and get it to the ground,. I then tip(push) on the bike away from my body until I feel the opposited side of the centerstand touch the ground. I then put my body weight onto the centerstand lever ,and up she goes. To take it down, I first put the regular side stand in place, and push the bike to the left with my right hand on the grip. It comes off fairly easily. I have found that if I stand over the bike and do it, it is difficult,the center stand sometimes slips and I have to rock the bike, probably bending the stops on the centerstand.

It is vastly different than my older KRS and UJM bikes of the past.

The GT is still the best and greatest bike I have ever owned.
 

·
Would rather be riding
Joined
·
537 Posts
Centerstanding

larrykay said:
I finally figured how to get the bike up on the center stand with almost no difficulty. I leave the side stand down , left hand on the handlebar, right hand ont the seat grip( standing on the right side of course). I put my right foot on the centerstand lever and get it to the ground,. I then tip(push) on the bike away from my body until I feel the opposited side of the centerstand touch the ground. I then put my body weight onto the centerstand lever ,and up she goes. To take it down, I first put the regular side stand in place, and push the bike to the left with my right hand on the grip. It comes off fairly easily. I have found that if I stand over the bike and do it, it is difficult,the center stand sometimes slips and I have to rock the bike, probably bending the stops on the centerstand.
Yep, I do more or less the same thing. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs, and I don't weigh enough to get it up onto the centerstand just by standing on it, I have to lift from the rear passenger handle too. When I put it down, I put my right foot in front of the centerstand when I push it forward, that way the centerstand never slides and I don't have to rock it at all. I also (now, after reading posts here) leave it in gear when I park it, so I hold the clutch in while getting it up and down off the centerstand. I've gotten to like using the kickstand as a kill switch. :)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top