BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If they're selling the entire Sirius system for $19 then why is an antenna still $30 plus shipping on ebay? Has anybody found a good place to pick up a spare antenna for the other bike(s)? Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
39 Posts
XM/Sirius both use S-band satellite, the same antennas should work for both.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought the 4' XM antenna, works great with my Sirius Starmate. ;)

I did however have to trim a little rubber off the molded plug so it cleared the housing, but other than that, it uses the same connectors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had problems with connecting to sirius. It works then drop the connection and then finds it again then drops it...on and on and on.
The antenna is located on top of the mounting bracket which is located above my left hand.
Is the windshield a problem??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
The windshield is not the problem, unless it is an all metal one. The problem is you body will block the very weak rf signal that your antenna is receiving. I have also noticed when I am riding in an area with very heavy tree cover I will also have the signal drop in and out. This all comes down to basic wave propagation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
mrpete64 said:
I have had problems with connecting to sirius. It works then drop the connection and then finds it again then drops it...on and on and on.
The antenna is located on top of the mounting bracket which is located above my left hand.
Is the windshield a problem??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
I was told the antenna needs to be as long as possible because if the antenna is bunched together and next to the unit, the signal is too weak. So, on my 06 K12GT the antenna is routed through underneath runs from the radio (which is mounted above the throttle) through the tupperware, under the seats and is mounted on the top of the top case. Heavy tree coverage can still block the signal at times. Sometimes urban buildup can be a problem - but this is rare.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased the larger antenna and mounted it in front of the windshield above the headlight. It made ALL the difference in the world. Places that I could not get any reception now come in crystal clear without fadeouts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
JWILLIS125911 said:
I was told the antenna needs to be as long as possible because if the antenna is bunched together and next to the unit, the signal is too weak. So, on my 06 K12GT the antenna is routed through underneath runs from the radio (which is mounted above the throttle) through the tupperware, under the seats and is mounted on the top of the top case. Heavy tree coverage can still block the signal at times. Sometimes urban buildup can be a problem - but this is rare.

Hope this helps.

My antenna is mounted 2" in front of the unit and the extra wire is bunched and velcroed underneath....no reception problems in Florida.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mrpete6

Looking to replace my exsisting xm ant for the bike, you mentioned that you purchased a larger ant and have had good results, what ant did you buy.

I am looking at the one halo99 mentioned, does anyone have this ant and if so how well does it work.

Thanks
K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts