BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the k1200gt to lean a bit to the left. It just seems even on straight and level highway it still leans just slightly to the left. I would assume this is because of the gyro rotation of the transverse motor have the natural balance a bit of a lean. And I hadn't notice until reading up on it but I notice I have to keep a slight forward force on the left handle bar.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't know, next time there is ice on the road, roll it out slowly and then with the tranny in neutral rev the engine hard. The answer to your question will become apparent. Post results.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Is it normal for the k1200gt to lean a bit to the left. It just seems even on straight and level highway it still leans just slightly to the left. I would assume this is because of the gyro rotation of the transverse motor have the natural balance a bit of a lean. And I hadn't notice until reading up on it but I notice I have to keep a slight forward force on the left handle bar.
Something isn't right. The bike should be running vertical when going straight on a flat or low camber road.

I've never seen a torque reaction from the motor. Even if it did happen, it should fade out with constant throttle.

Check the tire wear - if it's really left of center, there you are. OTOH, could it be how you sit or if you've packed one of the panniers (side bags) with heavy stuff? The stock muffler is heavy, but the bike is balanced with that weight in mind. That's not the culprit.

Either something's wonky with the bike, it's poorly loaded, or you're sitting off-center.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have noticed with my K1200GT that if I take my hands off the bars while riding it veers left. I have researched this and it is due to gyroscopic procession of the shaft drive. It is normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have noticed with my K1200GT that if I take my hands off the bars while riding it veers left. I have researched this and it is due to gyroscopic procession of the shaft drive. It is normal and nothing to worry about.
Uh... not so much. The bike should track straight. In any event, wheel procession matters far more than the shaft (which I'd count as negligable). What source said it's the shaft?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not normal at all. In 139000 mi on the GT I occasionally have noticed pulling slightly one way or another, but only if the front tire is badly worn. An abnormally crowned road can sometimes do the same thing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've seen a couple of small complaints on rear tire wear. On 12+13s (forums). Left side wear, two up and luggage, after a several thousand mile trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts