BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You capitalized Slipper, so is that a brand name?

If not, and you meant slipper clutch, as in unable to grip, why would you want your clutch to slip? The object of the game is to get the power to the ground as soon as possible. Slipping clutches create heat and heat isn't good for the clutch, the pressure plate or the flywheel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jay,
Slipper clutches are installed on superbike-class machines to allow agressive engine braking while racing. They don't have any affect on a postive torque (acceleration) situation, only on negative torque.

To the original question, I don't know of any aftermarket slipper clutches for dry clutch bikes, let alone the GT.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Spinner said:
Jay,
Slipper clutches are installed on superbike-class machines to allow agressive engine braking while racing. They don't have any affect on a postive torque (acceleration) situation, only on negative torque.

To the original question, I don't know of any aftermarket slipper clutches for dry clutch bikes, let alone the GT.
How about Duc's? They use a dry clutch and theiir racing bikes have slippers - do any civilian 999's have slippers?

·
Registered
403 Posts
There are several expensive slipper clutch units for Ducati. A lot of guys put them on their street bikes, me included.

I must admit, they rarely come into use on the street. I guess there might be a time when the rear wheel may lose traction on a properly executed downshift.

The purpose of a slipper is so that your rear wheel doesn't lock up when banging down hard through the gears entering a corner on the track. Street riding is more civilized than this.

·
Registered
764 Posts
xlr8r said:
The purpose of a slipper is so that your rear wheel doesn't lock up when banging down hard through the gears entering a corner on the track. Street riding is more civilized than this.
True enuf, but it would be so nice to skip the track excitement of having the rear slide when pushing a braking mark and downshifting at the same time. That can really exercise the sphincter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
allenclarkson said:
True enuf, but it would be so nice to skip the track excitement of having the rear slide when pushing a braking mark and downshifting at the same time. That can really exercise the sphincter.
Slipper clutch?? Phooey. I you wanna be cool, forget that and get slipper BRAKES instead! Talk about exercising the sphincter...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts