BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Sunday evening and dealer's closed Mondays so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had clutch issues. Last week I was out for a fast twisty ride and thought I detected some clutch slippage but was having too much fun to worry about it, but this afternoon I confirmed it - in higher gears (5,6) if I crank it without downshifting the engine roars (Evoluzione race air filters and Remus muffler lets me really hear it), the tach needle heads rapidly upward, but I don't really accelerate much. I'm wondering if the fact that I couldn't get an Evoluzione clutch slave to work (the only one that didn't, according to Ken Zeller - I returned it and went back to the stock unit) had anything to do with a bad clutch to begin with, although that unit engaged too soon, never slipped...
I'll get to the bottom of this soon enough, but if anyone has ideas to share I'm anxious to read them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
will be very interesting to see what they find out when you take the bike in, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Logoguy,

As many times as I've dumped that clutch on hard launches, I can say that it's very strong.
I did have a drive shaft to come apart at 7000 miles.One piece spun inside the other. It gave the sensation of a slipping clutch.

It will be interesting to hear what your dealer comes up with.

logoguy said:
It's Sunday evening and dealer's closed Mondays so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had clutch issues. Last week I was out for a fast twisty ride and thought I detected some clutch slippage but was having too much fun to worry about it, but this afternoon I confirmed it - in higher gears (5,6) if I crank it without downshifting the engine roars (Evoluzione race air filters and Remus muffler lets me really hear it), the tach needle heads rapidly upward, but I don't really accelerate much. I'm wondering if the fact that I couldn't get an Evoluzione clutch slave to work (the only one that didn't, according to Ken Zeller - I returned it and went back to the stock unit) had anything to do with a bad clutch to begin with, although that unit engaged too soon, never slipped...
I'll get to the bottom of this soon enough, but if anyone has ideas to share I'm anxious to read them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
logoguy said:
Logoguy:

What engine oil are you using? When was it changed last?

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
Logoguy, my clutch went out within three weeks of buying the bike (I had approx. 5000 km. on it by then).

They had to replace all of the clutch plates and it appears, from my discussions with my dealer in Spain who had the same problem with his K1200S, that some of the bikes had a defective set up of the clutch housing that caused the clutch plates to loosen, rattle and slip.

I wish I could give you more specific details, unfortunately my bike broke down when I was in Italy and it was BMW Italy that fixed it (I don't speak Italian and thus cannot give you more details - although I can say that the expression on the Italian mechs face when he heard the whinning sound coming from the engine needed no translation).

It was all done under warranty and the bike has been perfect ever since. Bike was delivered end of June 2005 and it now has some 13,000 km. on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slipping clutch - chapter 2

To answer awdnut I had 6000 mi service done at 5900, regular (not synthetic) oil replaced with filter etc. brought bike to dealer today - he told me he'd check out what's going on but if it's simply worn (that is - if he can't blame it on any defective stuff at work) the warranty might not cover it !!! And that's after ponying up the extra bucks for the extended warranty when I picked up the bike. If I have to replace clutch at 7000 miles I'll seriously consider switching bikes, or maybe I'm just pissed at the moment. Stay tuned for chapter 3.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slipping clutch - the plot thickens

Dealer confirmed existence of problem (duh) and is tearing clutch down this afternoon. Claims clutches are "wear items" and unless he can determine evidence of defect etc. it will NOT be covered under warrany. Can't wait to hear what he finds. I'm a fairly conservative rider and haven't done anything to exacerbate clutch problems (no wheelies, drag races or other punishment). All I do is pull in the clutch when it's time to shift, and I've been pretty conservative about shift points. Only in the last few K have I realized what a blast life over 7000RPM can be. Chapter 4 coming at ya as soon as I hear from him. If he's not going to do it under warranty I will happily reveal dealership. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clutch problem - the final chapter (hopefully)

Just got e-mail from shop saying "We took the bike apart and discovered a problem with the clutch housing that explains the "grabiness" you complained about and possibly the premature wear of the plates. The repair will be covered under your warranty.
So this might even explain why the Evoluzione slave cylinder wouldn't work on my bike. Nice to wrap up this chapter, and even nicer to let the warranty take care of it. My faith has been restored. Thanks for listening, and be careful out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts