BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to ride a few hundred miles. The bike was loaded, the breakfast was excellent, the day was perfect... until we got on the open road and I whacked the throttle in the third gear just to hear sound of freely spinning engine :(

Anyway... does anyone have a detailed howto on clutch replacement? Do I need special tools for this job? I do have the manual but more information the better... So far, the most difficult job I've done on that bike was ABS pump brake fluid replacement... well, and I've done a few valve adjusments, too. I hope I can replace the clutch myself as it might cost a bit too much at the dealers.

TIA.

Max

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yep it cost a lot. I think it takes about 12 to 15 hours. at $120 an hour plus $700 for parts that is real money.

There are two repair manuals, BMW on disc, you can find that on the internet for free. I forget get the name of the other one.
I think there are some how-to replace the clutch on the web some where.

It is a lot of work and some of the BMW instructions are missleading.
The BMW service manaul is made for mechanics that know what they are doing. Not for the novice. So you made need to find the How to on the web.

I found the job enjoyable, I had to make a couple of the special tools.

You may find the main culprit of the slipping clutch to be the O ring that will get hard and leak engine oil into the clutch housing. No matter you will want to install a new O ring and main seal while it is apart.

Good luck and becarefull

·
Registered
223 Posts
clutches on ebay

I found a 1700mile used clutch for $180 , and there have been several on there around $200 complete asembly , I got mine just in case , joe :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
MIK
I have excatly the same problem just happened on my way back from Spain....took the bike to my local dealer ,who diagnosed a leaking Crank seal contaminating the clutch ...so basically £800 to sort am feeling the same as your thinkin about open heart surgery on the bike...i do have a manual from the internet but its not brilliant (i think you can drop the gearbox without engine removal ?? ...............let you know how i get on :)
Dom

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dom55850 said:
i think you can drop the gearbox without engine removal ??
Yes, you can drop gearbox and engine removal is not needed. But it is still a big task, especially, looks like I need a few tools to buy and a few special tools to make/buy.

The ABS pump flush was a daunting task as well, but I managed to do it with a very well written howto and a manual. Same goes to valve adjustment. I was hoping to find something like that for the clutch job, but so far I am only finding bits and pieces of information :-(

If anyone has a clutch replacement writeup, or even if you just have a bunch of pictures, please do post them.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Do an advanced search for "main oil seal leak" and variants of,in the "K1200RS/GT Classic" forum. Most any threads related to crank seals will have some pics of the clutch removal.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
While you're in that far, replace the rear engine main seal, the transmission input seal, and the clutch slave seal. All three of those are suspect and can cause a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
513 Posts
depending upon the year bike you have there have been updates in the clutch assembly.

I did shop around and found a NEW clutch assy and seals for $560 18 months ago at salt lake city.

the parts cost less than the labor so why would you not replace all parts. Plus the salve and tranny seal?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sorry no pics from me, but here is some Tao for you guys! I'll get back to this thread , I am at work and the system does not let me write for long before it cuts me off. :wtf:

For a start:

http://www.227708.com/Other/bmwclutch01.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts