BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a K1200RS that has 50,000 miles on it and the clutch is slipping under hard acceleration. Is there anyway to check the condition of the clutch disc without seperating the transmission from the engine?

I suspect a leaky shaft o-ring or slave cyl as there is any oily fluid weeping from the joint between the trans and clutch cases on the RH side of the engine. Does it sound like I'm on the right track with this prognosis?

Tarren Shaw
Stillwater, OK

·
Registered
386 Posts
Tarren,

unfortunately there is no way to inspect other than disassemble.

since you see evidence of a leak, and know your can spin up the clutch disk, smart move is to have disk, spring, ring, cover, pressure plate, slave cyl, o-ring, big nut and tranny input seal in hand, ready for replacement/reassembly.

labor at the dealershop is the big ticket item on clutch replacement.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You definitely have a clutch job ahead of you. But imho, it does not matter what it is, if you are spending time or paying the labour to do it, I would replace the rear seal, transmission seals and clutch slave cylinder regardless. The slave and seals are relatively inexpensive compared to the labour. Then go ride another 50k miles or more....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is there a manual that provides instructions for this repair? --Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts