BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ball Bearings or Brass Sleeve

I got a set of brass sleeves and a special bolt from JCW on the other forum and have had it installed for months and not a single problem, silky smooth shift and no slack, no bolt loosening or jamming tight.

Admittedly it was slightly dearer but everything locked down tight and been changing smoothly ever since. You bearing guys have certainly found problems with a simple solution.

Just my thoughts on this

·
Registered
49 Posts
Aussiefinatic said:
I got a set of brass sleeves and a special bolt from JCW on the other forum and have had it installed for months and not a single problem, silky smooth shift and no slack, no bolt loosening or jamming tight.

Admittedly it was slightly dearer but everything locked down tight and been changing smoothly ever since. You bearing guys have certainly found problems with a simple solution.

Just my thoughts on this
When measurements are correct, it won't be jammed and there is no sideplay. Good. Works as original BMW parts as well.

With correct tightening torque it won't get loose. Good.As original BMW parts as well.

Brass sleeves. Well, it is still slide bearing. Works well as a new one, for sometime. As those original BMW ones as well. Those original plastic bushings are slide bearings. They might have some teflon in material to have good sliding charasteristics and that type of sliding bearings are widely used in many equipment. But with the time they are wearing, they get dust etc. Brass will work exact the same way. Good wehn new. sloppy when older.

Ball bearing with those ZZ rings on side will keep dust away from bearing. They will last for ever in shifter use.

Regards
Leiboshi

It is still slide bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all. New member here. I recently installed the ball bearing mod that I purchased from "ccii42104", I believe. After the maiden voyage post installation, I did notice more precise shifting even though the factory bushings weren't really that worn. I also like Leiboshi's kit on ebay with the stepped washers but I happened to buy the other kit first. I figured I'd give it a try and could just re-install the original bushings if I wasn't happy. After a few hundred miles of riding, I'm happy. The clunk when shifting into first from neutral is still present. I found that the shifts are better at really low RPM's or at higher RPM's. Also, you need to make a firm and deliberate shift. Any weird sounds or shifts seem to occur when I'm sloppy. So, maybe the sloppy shifter fix isn't the equipment, just the operator. Haha.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bearing application

The intial design criteria is to use a ball bearing is rotary (revolving) motion, and to use self lubricating bushings for reciprocating (back and forth) motion.

The problems with the plastic bushing are 1. easily deformed under load, 2. much more susceptable to contamination 3. Can not handle shock (impact) load. 4. all three items are significantly impacted as heat rises - if it is not a good teflon/flourocarbon 220 F is about the max temp.

·
Registered
498 Posts
dhanson said:
Shoulder bolt would be ideal, but for this simple mechanism, this mod should last a long time.
Sadly, in my experience, it didn't. I do have to say they were very quick shipping when I ordered some more last week...

Here's what happened to mine since I did the mod...

You can see two of the bearings just disintegrated, all is well now. and I have enough to do it again in another 30,000 miles or so.:teeth

·
Registered
368 Posts
Kind of looks like we need to check that when we service our bikes. I wonder if there is a higher grade bearing of the same size. Hummmm I guess I will bring my extras with me on long trips. Thanks for sharing.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Aussiefinatic said:

Just my thoughts on this
You know you just jinxed yourself. :) (If you do though, I have a couple bolts left if you need them.)

·
Registered
498 Posts
robday said:
Could this be the result of over-tightening?
If that was directed at me, I don't think so... I got a good torque wrench and am a firm believer in locTite. That's not to say I didn't have it shimmed just so, and the torque was pushing in the wrong place, but but I think it was good...

I just don't think these bearings are made for the life I put them through...Interestingly, almost ALL my riding is done in 6th gear, as I'm close to the freeway to commute and don't tend to shift a lot in the twisties. On the other hand I ride no matter the weather, so I think the rain and filthy road spray they live in is what did them in...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Dang...now you got me worried. :yeow: I'm sure you ride more miles than I do but I know we did this fix at the same time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hmmm.....
I just thought of something:
Is it possible that the Loctite vapors damaged the plastic part of the bearings?

Although I tend to agree with you BeniciaRT, it is probably from road gunk. It will be interesting to see how others look when they inspect them. I'm about to do this mod myself, so will keep an eye peeled on this one.

·
Registered
498 Posts
robday said:
Hmmm.....
I just thought of something:
Is it possible that the Loctite vapors damaged the plastic part of the bearings?

Although I tend to agree with you BeniciaRT, it is probably from road gunk. It will be interesting to see how others look when they inspect them. I'm about to do this mod myself, so will keep an eye peeled on this one.
I'd just do it and keep all 10 bearings... and put it on the list of checks when you change your oil. Heck, you can change 'em out in less time than it takes to change oil anyway. I'm counting them as a wear item.:dunno:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Brass Sleeve is a better solution

Just my thoughts but JCW has still got several kits that overcome all the problems with the bearing solution, and it quite cheap and has lasted over a year with no problems.

Having said that I will go and check it before the next ride.

David

·
Registered
166 Posts
thank, i saw the ones with the blue rubber seals and someone mentioned the ones with the metal shields. i thought the silicon ones may be better at keeping junk out and not degrade as fast

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great mod! I occasionally search forums for ideas (alot more now that I own a K1200GT) but have never posted. I signed up just to comment on this fix! Tremendous.

A few comments:
I did order the SS version of the bearings from VXB (kit 8945 - 10 Bearing 8x14x4 Stainless:Sealed).

Had to use a small butane torch on the back side of the bolt to get it out (factory High Strength on the threads)

High Strength Loctite for the outer bearing\shifter bore.
Medium Strength for the screw threads reassembling.

For the washers I used #10 SS washers and clamped them one at a time between two 3/8" ID Fender washers (using two pairs of vice grips). Drilled them out to 5/16" ID using a step drill. Finished 4 of them in about 5 minutes. Used two on the inside and two on the outside.

I can now find neutral!

New owner (3 months) of a 2008 K1200GT with 34k miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brilliant. Just BRILLIANT.

This is the kind of ingenuity that I love. I had been Googling a aftermarket solution but it was much more costly and this does the trick just perfect - if not better. Great job.

The only question that I have is why didn't you go with the Stainless Steel versions (Kit 8945) priced only a few dollars more ($24.95). Was it that they only spin at 38,000 RPM and not 44,000? Are you a fast shifter :)

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit8945

For the record, this is the size of the bearing. 8mm (ID) x 14mm (OD) x 4mm (W) referenced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ressurecting the dead . . .

. . . dragging up an old thread here, but what a great one!

I just completed the "sloppy shifter fix" and it works like a charm.

I guess it is a testament to how much I love my K1200GT that I enjoy little tweaks like this; I should really be thinking "FFS BMW what were you thinking installing those nasty plastic bushes - put in a proper bearing ".

Either way, the job was easy and works beautifully, the shifter now feels right i.e. like a 'normal' bike ! :)

Fix the shifter, don't forget to preload, a light hand with the clutch and the K1200GT gearbox is 'sorted'!

Doug

141 - 160 of 178 Posts